DVDVR Message Board

March 2022 Wrestling Discussion

I guess if the question in "neutrality" I would feel neutral about someone like The Godfather. he mainly wrestled in a era with out an emphasize on longer matches so I just remember the fun gimmick but don't remember him being particularly great or o=awful 

33 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

He'll walk out late and use the "...I was backstage, having a little Thai." line again.

I could've sworn he said he going to eat out a little Korean lol

But we're on the same page ?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, zendragon said:

I guess if the question in "neutrality" I would feel neutral about someone like The Godfather. he mainly wrestled in a era with out an emphasize on longer matches so I just remember the fun gimmick but don't remember him being particularly great or o=awful 

I feel like The Godfather would be a great choice, but his gimmick was to bring out a bunch of women in bikinis while I was a horny teenager, so I didn't mind.  He is on the list of guys who I've seen wrestle at least 100 times and can't tell you one memorable match.  Seriously, I can't think of one memorable match, not as Papa Shango, not as Kama The Supreme Fighting Machine, and not as The Godfather.

• Like 4

The Godfather character is one of the most unique in wrestling history because he managed to add a new wrinkle to classic storytelling in matches; he could win, he could lose, there could be a DQ, or he could convince his opponent to forfeit so they could dance with prostitutes. It was like introducing Chekhov’s gun, except instead of a gun it was women Kama was human trafficking. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 15

3 hours ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

Queen Sharmell was a huge part of one of the best gimmicks in WWE history though, so it's all good. And don't try to correct me. I know what I said.

All hail King Boookaaahhh!

King Bookah was by far the best iteration of Booker T.

• Like 3

My dad went to some estate sale and brought me back a Mankind WWF beanie baby in the box. I still have it, Figured one day it would be good for Ebay. Or a giant Foley fan. Whichever comes first.   He also strangely enough brought back talking DDP and Nash wrestling buddies, and a DDP bobble head. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

All hail King Boookaaahhh!

King Bookah was by far the best iteration of Booker T.

I dunno, Booker T commentating on his own run-ins in TNA was pretty awesome too.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

On 3/14/2022 at 11:24 AM, Log said:

I mean, I know we're all smart enough here to realize that it's never been a "real" Hall of Fame, and even the "real" ones have their own share of bullshit entries.  But, it really is the "Hall of people who worked at some point in WWE and didn't piss Vince off".  It has been for all of it's existence.

and also does not, strictly speaking, physically exist, as Mr. Scott Steiner is wont to point out

We probably had one ages ago but we should have a whole topic on best commentary lines.

I urge everyone to watch Summerslam 89.  Ventura was on fire from the opening match. He gave credit to the faces and the heels. He pointed out the Brainbusters weren't defending their belts because they hadn't won them when the contracts were signed.  Schiavonne looked dumb saying "well they could have added them to the contract later"  Jesse as most people would said "would you have done that"   I mean the guy was on fire the whole show.  Also the show as a whole is really fun to watch. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

We probably had one ages ago but we should have a whole topic on best commentary lines.

I urge everyone to watch Summerslam 89.  Ventura was on fire from the opening match. He gave credit to the faces and the heels. He pointed out the Brainbusters weren't defending their belts because they hadn't won them when the contracts were signed.  Schiavonne looked dumb saying "well they could have added them to the contract later"  Jesse as most people would said "would you have done that"   I mean the guy was on fire the whole show.  Also the show as a whole is really fun to watch. 

[Rowdy Roddy Piper has just pulled Jake "The Snake" Roberts off of Ric Flair] 

Bobby 'The Brain' Heenan, Announcer : I never thought I'd say this, but thank you Piper. It's a kilt. It's not a skirt, it's a kilt.

[Piper then nails Flair] 

Bobby 'The Brain' Heenan, Announcer : You no good creep! You skirt-wearing freak! It's not a kilt, it's a skirt.

- Listed on Bobby Heenan’s IMDB.  To be fair you could quote that whole match.

Edited by Ultimo Necro
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Ultimo Necro said:

[Rowdy Roddy Piper has just pulled Jake "The Snake" Roberts off of Ric Flair] 

Bobby 'The Brain' Heenan, Announcer : I never thought I'd say this, but thank you Piper. It's a kilt. It's not a skirt, it's a kilt.

[Piper then nails Flair] 

Bobby 'The Brain' Heenan, Announcer : You no good creep! You skirt-wearing freak! It's not a kilt, it's a skirt.

- Listed on Bobby Herman’s IMDB.  To be fair you could quote that whole match.

I was doing commentary on one of Lee Moriarty's first matches and used the JR Classic  "come on kid!! Time to make yourself famous!!"  I always loved that line from the Jeff Hardy-Undertaker ladder match. 

• Like 4

Someone on twitter or one of the sites, found out Biff Busick had donated money to Drake Wuertz's campaign.  

He released this statement:

A wrestling news site article was brought to my attention online. I am not a political person. I do not support Qanon or their beliefs. I thought I was just lending money and I did not knowingly donate to Drake's campaign. I know how ppl with those beliefs can hurt people and I don't want to do that to anyone.

Sorry, BIFF

• Like 1