DVDVR Message Board

March 2022 Wrestling Discussion

My current unreasonably happies are probably Eddie Kingston, who has been just a revalation to me since coming to AEW, and seeing Brian Danielson get that one last run and just kill it out there. I also turned into the HA HA HA YES sicko cartoon guy when Regal showed up out of the blue.

• Like 6

It's Ziggler for me when it comes to guys who I am totally neutral on. I can't hate this dude, but he's a bump machine with soft offense and that's it, which would be okay if he had the charisma of a bump machine with soft offense like Shawn Michaels.

As it is, his whole career is an in-ring blur to me. He had a ladder match with Luke Harper once that was very good, and he had that spot as the sole survivor of that five-on-five SurSer match, but otherwise, he's just sort of there, existing, doing a wild bump everyone once in awhile. 

He's not deadly boring like Rotunda or anything, but he's a total cipher, a non-entity. 

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia

Just now, Death From Above said:

My current unreasonably happies are probably Eddie Kingston, who has been just a revalation to me since coming to AEW, and seeing Brian Danielson get that one last run and just kill it out there. I also turned into the HA HA HA YES sicko cartoon guy when Regal showed up out of the blue.

This. 

Also, here's the Fujiwara match. But Fujiwara makes me smile for other reasons that are dissimilar to this match. There's just something in that smirk of his, the knowing he could end it all at any time, the sense of calm, respect, and patience buried beneath arrogance and hostility and grit. And that he's always been an old man and could always kick your ass. 

• Thanks 1

If unreasonably happy means I can’t say guys like Steamboat and Sting from when I was a kid, then I’ll pick Koko B. Ware. I was a huge mark for him.

Monday Night Wars era: Juventud Guerrera and Blitzkrieg

Same era lucha: Super Porky

Modern day: Dante Martin and The Acclaimed.

• Like 1

I’ve told this on the forum years ago, but I love Naomi because of Total Diva. I was on a short life break from wrestling and my gf (maybe fiancé at this point / currently happily married to) was watching Total Divas. I got sucked in and Naomi was about to marry Jimmy Uso. Well, there was issues with Rikishi. Potential issues with his approval but he gave his blessing. Then the day before the wedding he chose a booking over going to the wedding. Naomi and Jimmy cried, then Jay gave a speech about how much he loves his brother and new sister and then I cried. I will always enjoy Naomi because of this.

Terry Funk is a legit GOAT but how he will flop around like a golden retriever falling off a couch when he runs into the turnbuckle brings me joy. Same with Buddy Rose’s selling. I just love original selling. How a worker’s body can move and react unlike other’s. Evil UNO’s body folding over as he crumbled to kicks of Bryan Danielson made that a spectacular viewing. Billie Kay holding her ear and dropping down after a head kick was the right move for that moment, because it happened organically. 

The Rock, Ken Shamrock, and Mankind were my favorites as a kid. The Rock made facial expressions like Jim Carey. Shamrock was intense and I was an aggressive spaz. Mankind talked with a sock.

I love Giant Baba on commentary. I don’t know what he is saying but it is like when Tom Thibodeau would yell at the Timberwolves when he was couching here. Deep barely audible tones. 

I just want to watch Kenta Kobashi repetitively chop people all day. Obviously, great though. Same with Desuke Sekimoto suplexing fools.

Darius Martin was Air Wolf at the local fed, F1rst Wrestling, so seeing him and his brother kill it is beautiful.

Abdullah Kobayashi looks huggable until he eats lightubes. 

It is sad that Quackenbush is weird. I loved so much about his weird voice.

Black Taurus has a cool mask.

Edited by Octopus
  • Like 6

26 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Doubling back here, I'd almost argue that it's like god creating a rock too heavy to lift. Even with someone like Randy Orton, he's so beloved by so many other wrestlers that I kind of want to get to the bottom of it, you know? I want to dig in there and make sense of just why they value him so? Is it mechanics? Is it footwork? Is it pacing? Is there something to his strikes that make them particularly easy without actually looking that way? If I'm watching a Randy Orton match, which again, I'm never obliged to watch a Randy Orton match; no one is forcing me; I am not a completionist here... then I'm almost paying more attention and not less because of it.

It was Albert Camus in The Myth of Sisyphus that said, “The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”  Maybe he was referring to Randy Orton and other worker’s praise of him?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, JLowe said:

If unreasonably happy means I can’t say guys like Steamboat and Sting from when I was a kid, then I’ll pick Koko B. Ware. I was a huge mark for him.

Monday Night Wars era: Juventud Guerrera and Blitzkrieg

Same era lucha: Super Porky

Modern day: Dante Martin and The Acclaimed.

Super Porky is a really good choice! If I'm gonna focus on "makes you happy" rather than "unreasonably" my top 5 would probably be:

Super Porky/Brazo de Plata

Ebessan/Kikutaro

Giant Baba

Kana (Asuka, but not when she's in the WWE, unless she is winning the Rumble)

Eddie Kingston

• Like 1

@Gordlow, Giant Baba is perfect. He doesn’t need need big epic matches. I just want to watch him stand there and overhead chop fools.

(I’m not saying I don’t like his work. I just enjoy looking at him)

Edited by Octopus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Okay, wrestlers that make me unreasonably happy?

Low Ki in the early TNA/ROH years. He just seemed to fly through the air, almost like he was th best mix of RVD and Rey Mysterio who were two of my faves during the 90s. This is waaaaay before I got online and learned about what he's like irl, so I'm just going by in ring career strictly 

Hayabusa blew my mind seeing him pop up at Heatwave for ECW and he was another favorite (i definitely have a pattern of enjoying the high flyers)

Bryan Danielson, seeing him on ROH shows was a blast with his VICIOUS submissions. Folding Low Ki in half and tea bagging him with the dragon sleeper had me howling laughing 

Kobashi, Umaga, two guys I loved to watch go to war.

7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Doing show prep last night, I was watching 1984 Crockett and seeing The American Starship made me think just how weird the careers of Hall and Spivey ended up after that start. That and why is a team named Starship coming out to Prince? 

Cocaine?

10 hours ago, Octopus said:

What wrestler makes you unreasonably happy? Just seeing them in a match and you can help but smile. Whether how the act or their personality or even nostalgia, just the idea of them brings you joy. 

Eddie Guerrero 

Jushin Thunder Liger 

Sting

The Steiner Brothers

Terry Funk 

Tito Santana

Rock n Roll Express

Brian Pillman

Bret Hart

Tenkoji 

Edit: Jimmy Valiant. Boogie Woogie ia definitely a guilty pleasure of mine!

Edited by Infinit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

Edit: Jimmy Valiant. Boogie Woogie ia definitely a guilty pleasure of mine!

Was scrolling through the thread and chomping at the bit that no one had mentioned the Boogie Woogie Man  yet. The absolute biggest smiles I have had while watching wrestling from any era the last five years has been throwing on a random episode of 1980s World Championship Wrestling and a Boogie Woogie Man squash comes on. 

Cheeseburger getting pops from the Tokyo Dome crowd those couple of years that he was booked for the New Japan Rumble gave me much joy as well.

In terms of the absolute giddiness I have experienced at a live wrestling show, being a kid that grew up on 80s JCP and finally seeing the Rock N Roll Express live in 2019 at Joey Janela's Spring Break, and them tearing it up with LAX was the absolute most elation I think I have ever experienced when being in the room. 

And in terms of a wrestling moment that is guaranteed to put a smile on my face no matter how bad my day was, throwing on the night that The Mulkeys finally won a match is the all-time mood-upper for me. 

Edited by clintthecrippler
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Octopus said:

What wrestler makes you unreasonably happy? Just seeing them in a match and you can help but smile. Whether how the act or their personality or even nostalgia, just the idea of them brings you joy. 

This is a great topic question;

William Regal
Greg Valentine
Demolition
I.R.S.
C.M. Punk
Wade Barrett

Non-wrestlers:
Absolutely miss guys like Heenan, Slick, Mr. Fuji, Freddie Blassie, Jimmy Hart, etc.
Announcers such as Jesse Ventura, Lord Alfred Hays, Sean Mooney. (even if the match sucks, I'm going to stick around if one of them is there)

• Like 1

• Dolfan in NYC changed the title to March 2022 Wrestling Discussion

The way the question was worded immediately made me think of guys who aren't necessarily my favourite wrestlers (guys like Bret or Danielson or Jumbo or whoever), but those guys who just exude a sense of fun to where they don't even need to be wrestling to make you happy. The kind of guys who always find something to make you smile whether they're working a 2-minute squash (either as squasher or squashee), or standing in the background while someone else cuts a promo. Guys that just have that innate ability to entertain that goes beyond execution or selling or intensity or any of the things I/we tend to look for when thinking about our favourite wrestlers. For me, the first guy that came to mind was Brazo de Plata. I mean, just looking at the guy brings a smile to my face. Buddy Rose would be another. I guess rotund guys performing athletic feats make me smile (as opposed to Rotunda guys doing athletic feats, to tie it in to another recent topic of discussion, although turns out I might be the biggest Mike Rotunda fan on the board somehow). Regal is kind of the Grand Poobah of wrestling in that he can wow you with actual wrestling, and still be the most ridiculous guy in the room, often in the same match.

• Like 2

I mean, I know we're all smart enough here to realize that it's never been a "real" Hall of Fame, and even the "real" ones have their own share of bullshit entries.  But, it really is the "Hall of people who worked at some point in WWE and didn't piss Vince off".  It has been for all of it's existence.

• Like 2