DVDVR Message Board

March 2022 Wrestling Discussion

2 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

That said, if you deleted the entire library of matches featuring Kaoru Ito from my memory, I don't know if I'd be that heartbroken.

Peter Pan Ito was nice. WWWA champion Ito was great. Cage against LCO was a classic. However the best thing that she can do now is sit on a young girl so the young girl can show fighting spirit by still breathing.

That's a great shout on the Evolution/Shield six mans, for both my nominees actually. I haven't watched since 2019, so I may have missed something from them since, but in the spirit of fairness, you're 100% right on those. especially the one that went all over the building. YMMV on whether that's enough to exonerate either guy from their more boring fare. Personally, I'm open to being more forgiving toward Orton than HHH @GuerrillaMonsoon

It was brought up that Chavo Jr. is the least of his family. I liked Randy Orton's father, grandfather, and uncle. I hate Randy Orton. All he does is pose and stare at the camera, then he realizes that there is another camera to pose and stare at.

33 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

That's a great shout on the Evolution/Shield six mans, for both my nominees actually. I haven't watched since 2019, so I may have missed something from them since, but in the spirit of fairness, you're 100% right on those. especially the one that went all over the building. YMMV on whether that's enough to exonerate either guy from their more boring fare. Personally, I'm open to being more forgiving toward Orton than HHH @GuerrillaMonsoon

I agree, and I think that's down to Orton choosing to be uninspired and unmotivated in the same way Bret phoned in a lot of his stuff, whereas HHH seemingly deludes himself into thinking that his best role is drawn out laboured slow paced sagas with Shawn and Orton, or the 80s Hogan-esque babyface run on Smackdown, rather than repeating the 2000/1 run. He got a year in 2002 with the benefit of the doubt to believe that he could return to where he was pre-injury, and it was annoying that you could see that he was capable of it (the Shawn Summerslam match, the draw on Raw, the Bryan match at Mania), but just chose not to be.

• Like 1

I can't agree with Orton or HHH since both guys have a good amount of high-end stuff. Yes, they also have long bad/boring stretches, but I've enjoyed both at various points. Most of the other guys brought up would kill have to something as awesome as HHH/Austin 3 stages of hell or Orton/Foley on their resume. Or even something as good as their LMS against each other at No Mercy 07.

I rejected bringing up Ziggler on similar grounds. No matter how many boring years in a row he can string together, he'll always have the Del Rio double turn match and the Survivor Series 14 tag. I can't think of a single Miz match I would want to re-watch.

Edited by Go2Sleep
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

I can't agree with Orton or HHH since both guys have a good amount of high-end stuff. Yes, they also have long bad/boring stretches, but I've enjoyed both at various points. Most of the other guys brought up would kill have to something as awesome as HHH/Austin 3 stages of hell or Orton/Foley on their resume. Or even something as good as their LMS against each other at No Mercy 07.

I rejected bringing up Ziggler on similar grounds. No matter how many boring years in a row he can string together, he'll always have the Del Rio double turn match and the Survivor Series 14 tag. I can't think of a single Miz match I would want to re-watch.

Yeah ill agree on Ziggler, 2012 was a good year for him and I still look back fondly on his pairing with Big E and AJ. He's a victim of bad booking and general WWE overexposure

5 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Yeah ill agree on Ziggler, 2012 was a good year for him and I still look back fondly on his pairing with Big E and AJ. He's a victim of bad booking and general WWE overexposure

The babyface turn killed Ziggler's momentum.   A lot of the interesting bits about his character were stripped away and replaced with... nothing.  He was an interesting heel and a generic babyface.

Been thinking about it and my pick for "seen the most, enjoyed the least" is probably Mark Henry by a comfortable margin.  Never had any interest in seeing him on my tv.  I can't think of a match I ever particularly liked involving him or a segment I thought was memorable (in a good way; some of his Attitude era skits were memorable for the wrong reasons).   He seems like a personable guy, but I think I could have ff'ed through his entire career without missing anything I wanted to watch.

I do sort of admire him for no-selling Vince's attempts to embarrass him into quitting (Vince supposedly wanted out from under that early megabucks contract Henry signed and intentionally gave him crappy gimmicks & angles), but, at the same time, I'm not sure that "black guy willing to let old white guy humiliate him publicly as long as the checks keep coming" is a great look.  

Henry's not the worst guy around, but I feel like he was average at best and he got a lot of exposure during a long career. 

• Like 1

I forgot to mention the school of “I admit this guy’s shit is perfectly executed, but I just don’t give a damn.” Lance Storm and Christopher Daniels come on down. I’ll give Storm the Thrillseekers bloodbath and Daniels the TNA 3 way match, but other than that it’s a combined 40 years of perfectly executed boredom.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Octopus said:

What wrestler makes you unreasonably happy? Just seeing them in a match and you can help but smile. Whether how the act or their personality or even nostalgia, just the idea of them brings you joy. 

Mocho Cota?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

That said, if you deleted the entire library of matches featuring Kaoru Ito from my memory, I don't know if I'd be that heartbroken.

This is one of my favorite pictures

2021_BBM_Women%E2%80%99s_Wrestling_Cards

Edited by John E. Dynamite

36 minutes ago, Octopus said:

What wrestler makes you unreasonably happy? Just seeing them in a match and you can help but smile. Whether how the act or their personality or even nostalgia, just the idea of them brings you joy. 

Right now; Jungle Boy. Mox. Malakai Black.

Previous eras; New Age Outlaws, E&C, Sean Waltman, Dude Love, Owen.

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
51 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Not a wrestler, but seeing and hearing Tony Schiavone being happy about wrestling again just makes me smile for the guy. I always felt bad for him with how sour he felt about wrestling, and getting to see him earn his redemption makes me feel good.

1 hour ago, Octopus said:

Hitman. Rick Rude. Scorp. Eaton/Lane Midnights. 

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

Sid

GREAT answer. Him too. 

• Like 1

Big Boss Man and William Regal.  Both are pretty much guaranteed to do at least one thing a match that makes me smile.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

I forgot to mention the school of “I admit this guy’s shit is perfectly executed, but I just don’t give a damn.” Lance Storm and Christopher Daniels come on down. I’ll give Storm the Thrillseekers bloodbath and Daniels the TNA 3 way match, but other than that it’s a combined 40 years of perfectly executed boredom.

Definitely agree on Daniels. Even in that triple threat, he was a major third wheel. The Joe/Styles singles match a couple months later was way better (among TNA's best matches actually).

Recently, the Kacy/Kayden team. All time, Dean Malenko. Maybe he's too good to qualify for the spirit of the question (Like it's not unreasonable to enjoy Dean Malenko matches), but I could watch hours of his random Nitro/Thunder matches and was always happy when he had any type of success.

I've been thinking about it, and 2014-2016 Bayley might be the ultimate answer to that question about "happy to see them wrestle" for me. 

My appreciation for fighting, nice person babyfaces has only risen over the years. 

• Like 4

Eddie Guerrero

Eddie Gilbert

Eddie Kingston

Southern cult leader Bray Wyatt

KO

Sami

The Four Horsewomen

JJ Dillon sliming it up with Tully

The Rock circa his Toronto heel turn

Stevie Richards

FTR

Best Friends

Miro

• Like 4

Just now, Greggulator said:

Eddie Guerrero

Eddie Gilbert

Eddie Kingston

Southern cult leader Bray Wyatt

KO

Sami

The Four Horsewomen

JJ Dillon sliming it up with Tully

The Rock circa his Toronto heel turn

Stevie Richards

FTR

Best Friends

Miro

And Sabu

• Like 2

Savage might be my ultimate answer to this thread, can't believe I forgot him. 

Savage and Bret are my dudes and had the most impression on me as a kid. 

I guess I have to mention Shawn Michaels here, too. I was wild about the Rockers as a kid. Honestly, give me a Rockers tag, and I'm happy as hell. Add them to my list. 

Right now, the Wrestlers that make me unreasonably happy are Traevon Jordan and Jaelyn Brandon, AKA Waves and Curls. Incredible babyface team. And also Willow Nightingale and Edith Surreal. 

All time? Eddie Guerrero, Cactus Jack, Alex Shelley, Brian Pillman the first.

• Like 2