DVDVR Message Board

March 2022 Wrestling Discussion

44 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

‘That said there is no forgiveness for 2001-2012 or whatever

I am not being hypberbolic when I say that Triple H beating Booker T at WM19 after that buildup specifically permanently lessened my wrestling fandom.

I mean obviously wrestling as an art/entertainment medium still interests me and there are wrestlers I still enjoy watching work but I stopped being a consistent weekly viewer of WWE at that point and I have never again been a consistent viewer of any company since (I do DVR AEW Dynamite every week but I don't always get around to each episode).

• Like 5

6 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Money Inc never officially becoming a Freebirdesque trio with Repo Man as the third still severely disappoints me

I've been watching and rewatching and rerewatching OSW, and this thought pops up all the time.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

watching 1995 ECW and I know the "kids, get your parents permission" Hotline disclaimer is pretty standard, but any kids watching ECW in 1995 probably aren't the "getting parental permission" types anyways

kids, get your parents' credit card when they're not looking, more like

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Im surprised no one has said Jeff Jarrett. A cliche pick, but aside from the MMA bits and that bad ass TV defense against Lethal I got nothin

I honestly think Jarrett was a fantastic wrestler and entertaining as hell before he started using the shitty guitar gimmick. 

Alex Wright had a "commentary narrative" push over here in Germany, but I don't feel he ever really had a big push. He beat a few jobbers and won pretty meaningless belts. I never found him to be sloppy in his "Wunderkind" days, I always thought he had a generally unfitting moveset though.

He might have been a shoot cruiserweight, but they should have billed and used him like a Heavyweight who may use the occasional flying body press. He was way too tall to do leg Lariats and flying headscissors and despite an okay execution, those looked awkward when he did them. 

Edited by ReiseReise
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, supremebve said:

Since you brought up Wallstreet,  I have a question for the board.  Who is the wrestler you've watched the most, but enjoyed the least?

Based on interviews, he seems like a super dude, so I feel kinda bad, but I think I'm gonna go with Chavo (Jr) for this one. His on-screen highlights are few and far between, and are pretty much all just the result of riding Eddie's coattails. His mini-feud with DDP as the overmatched "little brother" trying to stand up to the bully as part of the larger DDP/Eddie rivalry was probably my favorite thing he did. His best character work was probably him snapping after having to be Eddie's lackey, culminating with Norman Smiley feeding Pepe the stickhorse into a wood-chipper. Don't remember any good matches from that stretch, though. His entire WWE run was more of him getting paired with his more charismatic family members. He was the least of SD 6 guys by a lot. His singles work was completely generic, managing just a couple standout matches with Rey over about an 8 year stretch. He was also super out of place in LU and one of the worst parts of that series.

Probably need to shout Miz here too. Occasionally cuts a great promo, but never could quite get there in the ring to make his act truly work. In his defense, though, he came up at the worst possible time where he had no career path except WWE monotony.

I’d agree about Jarrett being far from the worst, from his early days through USWA, initial WWF and WCW he was largely very good and enjoyable.  Although I suppose it’s dependent on how much you like Memphis wrestling as that was always more his style. 

It’s 1999 WCW onwards that sours it.  The decision to make him a main event guy, because Russo, seemed to unite wrestling fans against him in a way I don’t think I’ve ever seen since.  It generally carried on from then right through to his current GCW run (MMA Jeff excepted as everyone knows how great that was!)

As Conrad always reminds him, Jeff also has the unique position of being a member of the worst iterations of all time classic stables. Horsemen (debatable), Bullet Club, nwo.

My answers would be Tom Zenk or Paul Roma. Very similar in some respects, both great looking guys, always on TV & PPV’s over WCW and WWF through the 80’s and 90’s.  Neither were truly the worst wrestler in the world but they never done anything other than just kinda “be there”, often standing next to much better tag partners.  I must have seen every match they had during that period and can’t tell you one memorable thing.

My go to answer here would be Seth Rollins - his lame-o generic rock theme, his moves on moves for the sake of moves on moves and refusal to sell anything. But I'll also defend HHH/Rollins at Mania 2017 as a very good match as it worked around his limitations as a worker and it required him to sell something. 

But then I realise how little I've ever really liked Dean Ambrose/Jon Moxley's stuff. Shield six mans were great, everything else in his WWE run was just contrasted against what it could have been had it not been for bad booking. His AEW stuff has been ok - great unsanctioned match with Omega, the Brodie Lee match was excellent, and there's been a few fun bits and pieces with Kingston, but largely due to the people he's been in the ring with.

Nakamura in WWE/NXT has held zero interest to me.

Would still take all 3 any day over another Mike Rotunda match.

27 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

Based on interviews, he seems like a super dude, so I feel kinda bad, but I think I'm gonna go with Chavo (Jr) for this one. His on-screen highlights are few and far between, and are pretty much all just the result of riding Eddie's coattails. His mini-feud with DDP as the overmatched "little brother" trying to stand up to the bully as part of the larger DDP/Eddie rivalry was probably my favorite thing he did. His best character work was probably him snapping after having to be Eddie's lackey, culminating with Norman Smiley feeding Pepe the stickhorse into a wood-chipper. Don't remember any good matches from that stretch, though. His entire WWE run was more of him getting paired with his more charismatic family members. He was the least of SD 6 guys by a lot. His singles work was completely generic, managing just a couple standout matches with Rey over about an 8 year stretch. He was also super out of place in LU and one of the worst parts of that series.

Probably need to shout Miz here too. Occasionally cuts a great promo, but never could quite get there in the ring to make his act truly work. In his defense, though, he came up at the worst possible time where he had no career path except WWE monotony.

The dying days of WCW where he was the ace of the Cruiserweight division and feuding with Helms was fantastic. As was the first couple weeks of the Punk feud in ECW before the Bam Neely silliness and him becoming the 5th banana in La Familia.

Jeff Hardy.

Girls in my high school LOVED this dude back in 2002. Some dudes wanted to be him, because of the attention from the girls.

All I saw was a sloppy tag guy who's only redeeming features were his ability to take a chair shot and do a flip off the top rope.

Nothing's changed in 20+ years.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, supremebve said:

DiBiase would be on my list if he wasn't such a fun character. I never saw his Mid-South run,  but he's pretty uninteresting in the ring during his WWF run. 

I have never understood how Ken Anderson ever got on television. I couldn't point at a single thing he's good at. 

Paul Heyman figured out Vincent Kennedy McMahon would be a mark for his own name.

11 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Im surprised no one has said Jeff Jarrett. A cliche pick, but aside from the MMA bits and that bad ass TV defense against Lethal I got nothin

JJ had a classic IC match against HBK at one of the IYH PPVS. and thats the problem he was a prefect upper-mid carder. a great guy to put the IC or US title on. But never ever needed to be the face of a company. He had some decent Touring NWA champ style matches in really early TNA but spent most of his time tryong to do WWE main event brawl style and he certainly didn't have the heat that Rock and Austin did to make it work 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

I am not being hypberbolic when I say that Triple H beating Booker T at WM19 after that buildup specifically permanently lessened my wrestling fandom.

That may have been the last straw for me too.  The transitional DDT win over RVD had already sent me on that road tho.  Not to mention having to watch Raw on delay to ffwd thru his insanely long rambling bad promos (alongside all the other bad skits).  That whole era of WWE was the antithesis of Tony Khan's 'give the fans want they want'.  WWE monopolized and weren't even subtle about doing whatever the fuck they wanted to.  I hope the memory of that WWE era (and every year since? I stopped watching) alongside the arguably even weaker Jeff Jarrett-alternative will never die.  Wrestling fans need to know how bad it can truly be while they complain about a Dynamite match not going as well as they thought it should.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Jeff Hardy.

Girls in my high school LOVED this dude back in 2002. Some dudes wanted to be him, because of the attention from the girls.

All I saw was a sloppy tag guy who's only redeeming features were his ability to take a chair shot and do a flip off the top rope.

Nothing's changed in 20+ years.

Ban pls.

• Haha 2