DVDVR Message Board

March 2022 Wrestling Discussion

29 minutes ago, zendragon said:

Kinda surprised there isn't a noticeably large gay fanbase with how damn camp wrestling is 

Because it is camp in a trailer-park-trash / lowest-form-of-wit kind of way, not in a self-referential or empowering way. Billy & Chuck, Cena/Rock "brokeback" jokes etc.

12 hours ago, zendragon said:

Kinda surprised there isn't a noticeably large gay fanbase with how damn camp wrestling is 

Is Nobodies Watching Wrestling not a thing anymore?

Going back to the Russian Leg Sweep discussion for a moment....my favorite use of it - besides Brad Armstrong, of course - was when El Samurai would use it in New Japan and keep his opponent down then swing his leg over for a ground cobra twist submission.  Always liked that combination and someone should steal it for use today.

Edited by Marcel
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, kafkonia said:

Revolution Russian Leg Sweep count: 1+

And Excalibur called something a Greco-Roman Knuckle Lock even though I thought it was just the usual test of strength grip.

1 hour ago, Marcel said:

Going back to the Russian Leg Sweep discussion for a moment....my favorite use of it - besides Brad Armstrong, of course - was when El Samurai would use it in New Japan and keep his opponent down then swing his leg over for a ground cobra twist submission.  Always liked that combination and someone should steal it for use today.

That move was the best when we used to play Toukon Retsuden 3 on the Playstation.  On the FAQ for it (from GameFAQs), it was always called the Three Limb Break.  I don't care if it was a bad translation or the guy who created the FAQ just made it up; that's just a badass name for a move.

• Like 1

Just a thought, whenever we as fans talk about giving people the book, we usually go to the older names, the cornettes, the j.r.s, etc.

whatever you can say about Tony khan, he is (1)a new mind for booking and (2)much younger then the establishment of bookers. He’s not perfect but has a long time ahead of him to keep getting better. We need more like this. Is there anyone out there who we can look for helping bring wrestling forward? Get new fresh ideas?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phil4126 said:

Just a thought, whenever we as fans talk about giving people the book, we usually go to the older names, the cornettes, the j.r.s, etc.

whatever you can say about Tony khan, he is (1)a new mind for booking and (2)much younger then the establishment of bookers. He’s not perfect but has a long time ahead of him to keep getting better. We need more like this. Is there anyone out there who we can look for helping bring wrestling forward? Get new fresh ideas?

I’d say @Octopusbut I’m not sure we’re ready for those ideas. What about @DEAN?

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, Phil4126 said:

I would watch the hell out of anything @dean was in charge of

God help anything I am put in charge of.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I’d say @Octopusbut I’m not sure we’re ready for those ideas. What about @DEAN?

I have a few ideas floatin around the ol noodle.

Toshiaki Fujiwara - Mind Freak: Japanese wrestling legend in a long wig and soul patch goes around the streets of tourist heavy locations and preforms magic for strangers. If the participants cannot guess how the trick is done, Fujiwara will shoot on them.

CONTROL YOUR NARRATIVE presents CHIKARA: Superheroes but cool, with camo pants. Do ya like Batman? Camo Pants. Do ya like Wolverine? Camo pants. Do ya like Storm? TOUGH. No girls allowed.

Goldust - Into the Androgynverse : a young nerdy lad, played by Dante Martin, is just a regular nerdy kid doin nerd stuff. Like the rest of his city, New York or someshit, is mourning the recent loss of Goldust, played by Dustin Rhodes. Next thing you know, Dante is bitten by a radioactive sexually open spider. He’s feeling more sensual and open to more intimate ideas. Uh oh, multiverse opens up or something for some reason or something. “The Natural” Dustin Rhodes shows up, bummed out that he’s not feeling as Androgynous as he was before. But meeting a newly sexually open and cool dude Dante Martin, he’s kinda feeling like getting his groove back. What’s that? Other multiverses have their own Goldust? Yuka Sakazaki controls a giant Golden sex robot. Sting is an old timey Oscar Wilde type Androgynous gentleman. Bryan Danielson is a goofy innuendo saying pig. Brit Baker is a dentist. Who are the bad guys? The SENSUAL SIX. Jonathon Grisham as Octopus PHD, Raven as Raven, Rey Mysterio as Disco Ball Head, The Rock as THE MOST ELECTO MAN IN SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT, HHH and Helmsley The Hunter, and Sandman as slightly a less depressing version of Sandman. Will Dante have what it takes to restore time or whatever and get his groove on? 

Zandig does the oldies: John Zandig and his famous Deathmatch wrestling friends recreate legendary 60’s NWA title matches. Watch Zandig in a Afro wig do a side headlock as Harley Race. Watch him rest up against a guy in the ropes as Verne Gagne. Watch him work the leg as Lou Thesz. Coming this Christmas. 

Young Lions Cup: think Beast Warz but with teenagers being fed to lions.

Muppet Babies presents LEG-LOOSE: No one puts the Muppet Babies in a corner. Not even a corrupt anti-leg drop town. Watch as an balding unnamed 80’s wrestling super star teaches little baby Scooter and teeny weeny baby Skeeter how to do a leg drop. 

Scaffold Wrestle League: All Scaffold matches. All the time. The way wrestling was meant to be.

The Adventures of Rocky and Bockwinkel and friends: Family friendly cartoon hijinks starring Rocky Johnson and Nick Bockwinkel. Boisterous fun as they wrestle famous Russian wrestlers. Mixing puns, cultural and topical satire, slow long side headlocks, and self-referential humor. It appeals to adults as well as children.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Octopus said:

I have a few ideas floatin around the ol noodle.

Toshiaki Fujiwara - Mind Freak: Japanese wrestling legend in a long wig and soul patch goes around the streets of tourist heavy locations and preforms magic for strangers. If the participants cannot guess how the trick is done, Fujiwara will shoot on them.

CONTROL YOUR NARRATIVE presents CHIKARA: Superheroes but cool, with camo pants. Do ya like Batman? Camo Pants. Do ya like Wolverine? Camo pants. Do ya like Storm? TOUGH. No girls allowed.

Goldust - Into the Androgynverse : a young nerdy lad, played by Dante Martin, is just a regular nerdy kid doin nerd stuff. Like the rest of his city, New York or someshit, is mourning the recent loss of Goldust, played by Dustin Rhodes. Next thing you know, Dante is bitten by a radioactive sexually open spider. He’s feeling more sensual and open to more intimate ideas. Uh oh, multiverse opens up or something for some reason or something. “The Natural” Dustin Rhodes shows up, bummed out that he’s not feeling as Androgynous as he was before. But meeting a newly sexually open and cool dude Dante Martin, he’s kinda feeling like getting his groove back. What’s that? Other multiverses have their own Goldust? Yuka Sakazaki controls a giant Golden sex robot. Sting is an old timey Oscar Wilde type Androgynous gentleman. Bryan Danielson is a goofy innuendo saying pig. Brit Baker is a dentist. Who are the bad guys? The SENSUAL SIX. Jonathon Grisham as Octopus PHD, Raven as Raven, Rey Mysterio as Disco Ball Head, The Rock as THE MOST ELECTO MAN IN SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT, HHH and Helmsley The Hunter, and Sandman as slightly a less depressing version of Sandman. Will Dante have what it takes to restore time or whatever and get his groove on? 

Zandig does the oldies: John Zandig and his famous Deathmatch wrestling friends recreate legendary 60’s NWA title matches. Watch Zandig in a Afro wig do a side headlock as Harley Race. Watch him rest up against a guy in the ropes as Verne Gagne. Watch him work the leg as Lou Thesz. Coming this Christmas. 

Young Lions Cup: think Beast Warz but with teenagers being fed to lions.

Muppet Babies presents LEG-LOOSE: No one puts the Muppet Babies in a corner. Not even a corrupt anti-leg drop town. Watch as an balding unnamed 80’s wrestling super star teaches little baby Scooter and teeny weeny baby Skeeter how to do a leg drop. 

Scaffold Wrestle League: All Scaffold matches. All the time. The way wrestling was meant to be.

The Adventures of Rocky and Bockwinkel and friends: Family friendly cartoon hijinks starring Rocky Johnson and Nick Bockwinkel. Boisterous fun as they wrestle famous Russian wrestlers. Mixing puns, cultural and topical satire, slow long side headlocks, and self-referential humor. It appeals to adults as well as children.

TAKE ALL OF MY MONEY

• Like 1