DVDVR Message Board

March 2022 Wrestling Discussion

• RIPPA pinned this topic

Continuing a conversation from last month's thread, I blame PWG for the rise of American, meaningless apron bumps. I don't remember that being a thing in early/mid-ROH, whereas PWG seemed to do one in every match. 

Despite Psicosis, shoulder-posting is mostly a WWE thing in my head. When Punk did it against MJF, I saw it as a bad habit he picked up.

I have an irrational hatred of the shoulder post spot (but only in WWE). Your god damn posts are plastic on the inside now now because of the LED post setup. It's not a shoulder into a steel post anymore. It's a shoulder hitting weak forgiving bendable plastic now. Makes a good sound, but fuck that being such a change in momentum spot anymore.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I have an irrational hatred of the shoulder post spot (but only in WWE). Your god damn posts are plastic on the inside now now because of the LED post setup. It's not a shoulder into a steel post anymore. It's a shoulder hitting weak forgiving bendable plastic now. Makes a good sound, but fuck that being such a change in momentum spot anymore.

What I hate about the LED posts is that one of the coolest spots ever done with Bret Hart's ring post figure 4 is no longer possible in a WWF ring.

• Like 2

Going back to the apron bump stuff from last month's thread. Darren Matthews/Fred Rosser has been doing the back suplex on the apron pre-KO in WWE although it wasn't treated like death. Always looked like it hurt though. Same with Big E's splash on the apron.

Corner splash whiffs are better for the camera anyway. Sting missing a corner splash and tossing himself halfway across the ring > shoulder charge whiffs into the post by anyone.

Or that wild chest-first corner bump the Hitman used to do. Top-three signature bump for me. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Dog said:

Continuing a conversation from last month's thread, I blame PWG for the rise of American, meaningless apron bumps. I don't remember that being a thing in early/mid-ROH, whereas PWG seemed to do one in every match. 

Sounds fitting, PWG featured/features tons of the modern aspects of today's pro wrestling first and was always very eager to push the insanity metre. 

7 hours ago, Dog said:

My gut says NOAH? I feel like they were the number one touchstone for all the pre YouTube, RoH-led CZW/IWA-MS/PWG/JAPW/CHIKARA/etc. indie guys, the one thing *everybody* watched.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

My gut says NOAH? I feel like they were the number one touchstone for all the pre YouTube, RoH-led CZW/IWA-MS/PWG/JAPW/CHIKARA/etc. indie guys, the one thing *everybody* watched.

For sure. Even going back to All Japan, I think a lot of guys were watching it and not internalizing the context of moves. Candido even name-dropped Misawa and Kobashi in an ECW promo (not that he was necessarily one of those guys).

Edited by Dog

Speaking of, it's still wild to me that two weeks after Mike Awesome had an absolute war with Kenta Kobashi, he was back in the States winning the ECW title. That entire summer tour he did with All Japan has some absolutely crazy match-ups.

Awesome vs Shinzaki? Teaming up with 2 Cold Scorpio & Vader to face the likes of the Holy Demon Army, or BURNING, or Misawa and company? Say what???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John E. Dynamite said:

It's funny because I thought of NOAH as well lol it was the first to come to mind. 

Billy Gunn Head hitting the post bump was done in every match he had as a heel. Mr Perfect did it a few times but Gunn used that spot every match.  It was a cool spot but he overdid it. Sgt Slaughter had the best corner bump spot ever. It was insane for a guy his size, even later in his career he did it. He would just fly and it's just amazing because it's probably something you don't have %100 control on how you land.  

• Like 1

God, I remember that clip! That is one deeply buried memory. And man does it make them look like total pieces of shit. 

Slaughter still did the bump in one of those Legends matches he got drug out for, that was crazy. As far as apron bumps I think the first ones I remember were in Kobashi vs. Akiyama and Tanahashi vs. Bernardoooooooo

• Like 1