DVDVR Message Board

2021-22 NBA: 2nd Half

Dolfan in NYC

Yeah - Giannis is now the Bucks all time leading scoring (passing Kareem Abdul-Jabbar)

BTW - Kareem was the leader and only played 6 seasons there. Giannis has technically played 9 (though with the COVID seasons - it really is only like 8-8 1/2)

Which says a lot about the franchise if nothing else

EDIT - HA! I wrote this THEN looked at the Bucks leaders in games played and Giannis is already third and will be the leader by the end of next season (Barring injury)

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah - Giannis is now the Bucks all time leading scoring (passing Kareem Abdul-Jabbar)

BTW - Kareem was the leader and only played 6 seasons there. Giannis has technically played 9 (though with the COVID seasons - it really is only like 8-8 1/2)

Which says a lot about the franchise if nothing else

EDIT - HA! I wrote this THEN looked at the Bucks leaders in games played and Giannis is already third and will be the leader by the end of next season (Barring injury)

Giannis also did it with about 1100 fewer FGAs than Kareem.

He is top 5 in basically every significant statistical category for the Bucks, which is pretty wild.

53 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

So why isn't anyone on PHX an MVP candidate considering they're the best team with the best record by far?  (Rockets are 42.5 games behind the Suns.  Wow.)

I think it's just that, while Booker and Paul have both been great, neither of them have eye popping MVP type numbers, and it's a situation where the whole team is playing really well.

20 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I think it's just that, while Booker and Paul have both been great, neither of them have eye popping MVP type numbers, and it's a situation where the whole team is playing really well.

Which is exhibit #1 for A+ Point Guard play. 

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I legit don't understand how that's possible.

Because the NBA is stupid

Perfect example - the Clippers and Bucks were both on the 2nd game of a back and back so both team rested several starters

So Robert Covington of all people went off for 43 points which included 11 threes which ties for the most in the NBA this season. He entered the game averaging less than 9 PPG this year

Amir Coffey - who is averaging 9 PPG - scored 32 points

The Clips scored a total of 153 points which set the franchise record for most points in a regular season game awhile playing... checks notes... 8 guys.

So, after this season,

- Is it fair to say that Anthony Davis is one of the most overrated players of all time?  Always baffled me when he's mentioned as an all time dude. 

- Is it fair to say that Russell Westbrook is a trash, selfish stat compiler with negative BBIQ and is only interested in compiling his stats, team success be damned?

And holy fuck, how is a LeBron-led Lakers team this fucking bad?  Jesus the Zion-less Pelicans? the fucking Timberwolves?  The Spurs?  are going to make the play in but not the Lakers?  Pathetic. 

• Like 1

On 4/5/2022 at 7:26 AM, Lawful Metal said:

So, after this season,

- Is it fair to say that Anthony Davis is one of the most overrated players of all time?  Always baffled me when he's mentioned as an all time dude. 

- Is it fair to say that Russell Westbrook is a trash, selfish stat compiler with negative BBIQ and is only interested in compiling his stats, team success be damned?

And holy fuck, how is a LeBron-led Lakers team this fucking bad?  Jesus the Zion-less Pelicans? the fucking Timberwolves?  The Spurs?  are going to make the play in but not the Lakers?  Pathetic. 

I think it's fair to say Davis is a tad overrated but he's definitely a great player.  But ya gotta be on the court for it to count.  The #1 ability is, and always will be, availability.

Same with Bron Bron this year.  Yeah, the Lakers are terrible but Bron has missed 23 games.  

Westbrook is absolutely a stat compiler.  I think he cares about team success, at least a bit, but he's not a guy you can win with.  

Having said all that - half a season of Davis, 3/4 of a season of Lebron, and a full season of Westbrick should get you more than 31 wins, LOL.

• Like 2

Davis is one of those guys that's capable of being transcendent but often doesn't care to be that good. That plus the health issues combine to make him less than he should be. It's worth wondering if the Lakers and particularly LeBron would be better with two good not great but reliable guys instead of him. LeBron himself is really only showing his age in increasing fragility.

As for Russ, I told everyone on this board back when he was traded to Houston this was his future. Loses half a step, can't shoot, won't move without the ball, never tried that hard on defense. And 47 million dollar player option for next year.

Edited by Brian Fowler

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

As for Russ, I told everyone on this board back when he was traded to Houston this was his future. Loses half a step, can't shoot, won't move without the ball, never tried that hard on defense. And 47 million dollar player option for next year.

I’ve been saying that for YEARS

Davis is so transcendent he didn’t even make the playoffs or got wrecked in the first round every year until he whined his way out of New Orleans to join the LOLakers

2 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

I’ve been saying that for YEARS

Davis is so transcendent he didn’t even make the playoffs or got wrecked in the first round every year until he whined his way out of New Orleans to join the LOLakers

I said he's capable. We've seen it from time to time, he'll play for two or three weeks at a level where he looks like an all-timer.

But there's a lot of games where he looks just kinda detached. Even then, he's still really good. And, I mean, they did grab the title his first year in L.A., so it's hard to say trading for him was a mistake.

Christ though, they should've made the Buddy Hield trade and kept some of the guys they sent out for Russ. They're thin, old, fragile, and eliminated. I guess Carmelo played better than expected?

Edit: And used the money they saved to re-sign Alex Caruso, who was a perfect role player for this team. If they had KCP, Hield, and Caruso instead of Russ and some of the bench fodder that never play, I think they would've at least made the playoffs.

Edited by Brian Fowler

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

I said he's capable. We've seen it from time to time, he'll play for two or three weeks at a level where he looks like an all-timer.

But there's a lot of games where he looks just kinda detached. Even then, he's still really good. And, I mean, they did grab the title his first year in L.A., so it's hard to say trading for him was a mistake.

Christ though, they should've made the Buddy Hield trade and kept some of the guys they sent out for Russ. They're thin, old, fragile, and eliminated. I guess Carmelo played better than expected?

Edit: And used the money they saved to re-sign Alex Caruso, who was a perfect role player for this team. If they had KCP, Hield, and Caruso instead of Russ and some of the bench fodder that never play, I think they would've at least made the playoffs.

It they didn't get Russ they could have had those 3 you mentioned & Derozan. What makes it worse next year they are on the hook for $47 Million going to Russ. 

5 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

It they didn't get Russ they could have had those 3 you mentioned & Derozan. What makes it worse next year they are on the hook for $47 Million going to Russ. 

They should trade for John Wall

On 3/30/2022 at 10:13 PM, RIPPA said:

Both the Celtics and Sixers are refusing to say if their teams are fully vaccinated (which means they aren't)

The reason this is now a talking point since both are teams that could possibly play Toronto in the 1st round of the playoffs and Canada requires everyone to be vaccinated to play.

To loop back to this - The Sixers Matisse Thybulle has been listed as "illegible to play" in Thursday's game in Toronto

And of right now - the Sixers and Raptors would play each other in the first round of the playoffs

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

To loop back to this - The Sixers Matisse Thybulle has been listed as "illegible to play" in Thursday's game in Toronto

And of right now - the Sixers and Raptors would play each other in the first round of the playoffs

Tremendous ??

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Poor Harden can't get away from the drama ... Probably would've been happier if he stayed in Houston ...