DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 2/25/2022

And when he's having to go auctioneer style, nobody is going to retain it. Take 20 seconds between segments like they often do and cut that shit out of the first matches other than the lower left graphic and maybe a quick shout out to a main event. It's beyond comical at this point. 

• Like 4

Hopefully after the PPV is over and the MJF-Punk and Mox-Danielson stuff is settled we can have less promo time so that they don’t go to PiP every single match. It’s getting worse and worse, usually starts about 2 minutes into a match.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

And when he's having to go auctioneer style, nobody is going to retain it. Take 20 seconds between segments like they often do and cut that shit out of the first matches other than the lower left graphic and maybe a quick shout out to a main event. It's beyond comical at this point. 

I 3000% agree that it takes away from the matches. I don't like it either. Especially this week because he did it over the tranquilo on the ropes / Sammy cocky corner taunt thing. It would have added to the match talking about them both being so confident and shit. But I'm fairly sure it's done that way on purpose. It's dumb tv production stuff, but it's done to try and retain the audience from their lead in. Like oops these people were in their phones not paying attention and didn't change the channel, quick show them what's coming up so they don't leave.

I have no idea if it actually ever works. But that's the purpose of squeezing the rundown in during the opening match. For awhile there they tried doing the rundown of the show right at the beginning before any matches started and it kind of felt weird and out of place. Like the first 3 minutes of the show felt like filler and probably lost more viewers than it kept.

• Like 4

I think that strange spinning thing Bowens did was actually a total botch, that he somehow transformed into a brand new move on the fly.

3 hours ago, JLowe said:

Hopefully after the PPV is over and the MJF-Punk and Mox-Danielson stuff is settled we can have less promo time so that they don’t go to PiP every single match. It’s getting worse and worse, usually starts about 2 minutes into a match.

I believe the deal on PIP during matches is an attempt to keep both the live and PVR viewers from skipping the commercials.  

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

Yeah. Or they can do it with Sammy and cue cards during a PiP break.

First commercial doesn't hit until 10-15 mins in generally. Not always but the majority of the time. If you're trying to keep people that stayed on TBS or TNT by mistake, they def won't still be there 10 minutes in. Gotta hit them with it in the first few minutes. And definitely in program, not fighting for attention with a commercial playing.

Get the sentiment, multi task and keep it from disrupting anything. But doing it during a commercial is way too late and then pointless to do at all.

20 hours ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

@JLowepretty much summed up my thoughts. I know OC is over but he could've eaten the pin here, to me the nature of his gimmick means that losses don't hurt him as much as someone going hammer and tongs to win all the time but coming up short. 

Felt that way about his Hobbs match too. 

OC wins are the only thing that keep the Best Friends credible though. You know Chucky, Trent, and Wheeler are gonna lose every time out, but when OC is in there, they have a chance. The Best Friends and Dark Order are essential acts for building up heels, but you have to some guys in there who give them a legit chance to win or else the heels won't get anything from beating them repeatedly. OC and Page are those guys.

• Like 2

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
6 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

OC wins are the only thing that keep the Best Friends credible though. You know Chucky, Trent, and Wheeler are gonna lose every time out, but when OC is in there, they have a chance. The Best Friends and Dark Order are essential acts for building up heels, but you have to some guys in there who give them a legit chance to win or else the heels won't get anything from beating them repeatedly. OC and Page are those guys.

OC would still be seen as legit, he has singles wins over Cole (which becomes even more impressive if Cole goes over at the PPV, don't think he will), Jericho, Penta plus a title match draw against Cody and a tag win against Miro. Not bad eh? Not saying OC has to turn into Barry Horowitz, just saying that in the instances I highlighted a win would have benefitted Bowens and Hobbs more than it would have harmed OC. 

Edited by Jimbo_Tsuruta

Orange Cassidy as the small guy in the Hoss Ladder match makes sense, because they need someone to be the tackling dummy in the "Who can do the highest Beel in the match" contest.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2022 at 9:43 AM, JLowe said:

i've seen this floated a few times (the fewer promos = less PiP idea), but it's a false equivalence.  if they didn't want to do the PiP thing for every match, then they wouldn't. they structure the show specifically to include these breaks (keeping the match going through the break supposedly does an excellent job of retaining the tv audience, plus makes it more "dvr proof" and thus appealing to advertisers). 

i hate the commercial breaks interrupting matches (it would drive me crazy when WCW did it during the MNW) and i agree that is getting worse and very disrupting to the show. i will now only watch the fite version of AEW shows for this reason. but it is doing what it is intended to do, so don't expect it to go away anytime soon.

sorry for the long-winded response, but i just needed to point out that promos are not causing tv time to be cut from matches.

• Like 3

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

Picture-in-picture is also something that's likely floated by network mandate as well. Wrestling isn't something that's going to have as many stoppages as a basketball or hockey game would, thus plugging in TV timeouts to run ads won't be as easy to work with, so it's either find a way to have stoppages to run ads (read: shorter matches) or you run the matches through the breaks and the network forces picture-in-picture onto your production staff so they can run their ad breaks.

I announced a sport with 30 minute halves and no clock stoppages outside of official timeouts, and when we worked with ESPN, we were given an option for ad breaks. Either they could force us into a picture-in-picture every seven to ten minutes or any time there was an official timeout, they'd put us in TV timeout and we'd have a red hat official communicating with the truck and telling us we weren't on the air so we knew not to resume gameplay/announcing. Soccer can get away with not having picture-in-picture because it's the world's largest sport and advertisers know what they're getting with 45 minute halves. We... weren't soccer. Advertisers bought the space and ESPN was plugging the time into our space.

Another thing to consider is viewer retention rate and whether the program is being watched live or via DVR. If they have high live viewership over DVR as well as high retention, then I'd be willing to bet that the network is selling ad space on that and they're mandating picture-in-picture ads.

I'm not sure if any of us know how ad revenue is being split with AEW, but I'd be willing to bet that as a startup still on their first TV contract, they're doing what the network is asking of them for hopes for a larger cut of the pie upon renegotiation.

11 hours ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

OC would still be seen as legit, he has singles wins over Cole (which becomes even more impressive if Cole goes over at the PPV, don't think he will), Jericho, Penta plus a title match draw against Cody and a tag win against Miro. Not bad eh? Not saying OC has to turn into Barry Horowitz, just saying that in the instances I highlighted a win would have benefitted Bowens and Hobbs more than it would have harmed OC. 

Bowens is a tag guy, though. If we're going to long for the days of "a good team beats two good singles wrestlers" then we also have to accept "a good singles wrestler beats half a good tag team."

• Like 2

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
21 minutes ago, kafkonia said:

Bowens is a tag guy, though. If we're going to long for the days of "a good team beats two good singles wrestlers" then we also have to accept "a good singles wrestler beats half a good tag team."

Rules can be bent or broken. If AEW can help challenge the notion that you have to look like Brock Lesnar or Roman Reigns to be a credible threat in wrestling, they can also occasionally subvert the "singles guy beats tag guy" trope. Bowens does the heavy lifting in The Acclaimed anyway. 

This show was awesome. Was tough being the lone person in the building cheering for Commorato, but I made it through! Another edit btw was that the table didn't break on the first go for the contract signing - Mercedes is from the area so it was really nice to see her in that spot. And the opener was absolutely killer, can't say enough about it. They went pretty big, and brought the crowd back really well, I think there was a little bit of an energy lull after the Kingston/Jericho segment

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/27/2022 at 12:28 PM, kafkonia said:

I'm hoping for a Bowens singles push where Caster is his mouthy best friend / oil man.

Fun show but GAWD does Jericho need to switch to decaf

• Like 1