DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 2/23/2022

5 minutes ago, Horatio said:

Roman Reigns??

Don't remember a Danielson match even happening...

He wrestled them both, on back to back Smackdown episodes. The first two episodes after he was called up, actually.

They clearly had very big plans for him, and then……….uh….hmmm….lol.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Everytime someone uses the term "vanilla midget", Kevin Nash should blow out a knee. 

I like Nash, but that’s an undeniable line!  

I’m here hoping to find out more about this very over talent Buddy Matthews?  I saw him battle Okada and I wasn’t into it nor do I remember it. I also saw a wwe bout against Malakai that was fun.  

I don’t think everything hit tonight but how can you not applaud them for just going for it!  Also, that was as much fun as I’ve had watching a battle royal, but mostly for the stretch drive.  

The end of this show was absolutely joyous.  Positive vibrations. 

• Like 2

Ricky Starks is so money.  Now that "What's his name?"  Is gone, i fear he could be lured away to be a manager or commentator for NXT.  However, his mannerisms in the ring and charisma on the mic should be showcased a lot more.  Got a kick out of him cracking Keith Lee up. 

If Fenix isnt ready for the six man against House of Black, "What's his name?" Would have been a good replacement. I like that Malakai's Mist doesnt hypnotize you into joining his cause, it just brings out the darkest aspects of your character.  Love that. And kudos for AEW acknowledging Buddy Matthews.  He is also going to give AEW some great matches.  I eagerly await Buddy Matthews-Bryan Danielson killing one another for our entertainment. 

Does Bryan Danielson join up with Jon Moxley?  After tonight, I hope so. 

This was a full blown heel turn for Chris Jericho and much needed.  Hes better in this role, and I Hope this elevates Eddie Kingston into a more consistent role atop the card.

Knowing Young Bucks are probably winning to advance is a bummer, because the glimpse of reDRagon and FTR against each other tonight, had me excited for them fighting Jurassic Express. 

So what AEW "rookie" debuts to defeat Deeb?  Mia Yim perhaps?  Would love to see Mayu Iwatani answer the challenge imo.

Loved this crowd they were red hot tonight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

After watching that Buddy match clip, strangely the crowd seemed as quiet as they were for the main tonight. Is that somehow a good sign? Like Danielson is the guy who will make Garcia as much as Buddy, only it's a bit of a miss the first time out for whatever reason? Would be nice. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

I think I remember Danielson/Buddy now...yeah, I think I knew Bryan agreed to put him over so they would drop it because it's just Bryan putting someone over...

On tonight's show...

- That bald guy in FTR is so good. I think everyone knows he's got an It-factor, he just likes tagging. 

- We need more crying in wrestling. Who started that? Ms. Elizabeth? HBK? 

- I like Penta showing up all evil only to show his secret weapon is brain-power. That's deep face psychology that he and Pac are showing.

Granted, they did look like buffoons on that accidental poisonrana, but wrestling has room for diehard babyfaces putting over an actual monster's inhuman strength.

- I like that Black is bringing continuity through the forbiddendoor. He's got his evil-eye and now, Buddy coming in as an ever rudderless self and doing the old can't-beat-em-join-em that only heels really practice. 

I like Matthews getting his beard pulled and acting like a pitbull on gunpowder diet. He's built like a tank whereas Brody is just a quiet mountain. 

- Eddie couldn't beat Cody, Mox, Bryan, or Punk, but maybe he can use Jericho as a stepping-stone to remaining a contender. I'm down to see that, although not even Kingston gets me excited to see Jericho's in-ring (it's never been my thing).

- Daniel/Bryan got better as the match went on but I don't think anyone really wanted to see Garcia working progressively under Danielson's insufferable cruelty, if that makes sense. I like Garcia as a spidery pest that's quick enough to get under anyone's skin and he didn't seem able to access that spidermonkey vibe too much and I think the crowd expected that, too.

- was a good ending. I'm beginning to see how this Insufferable Cruelty methodology could be grounds for a strange stable. Strange as in something we don't get to see too often...

EDIT - also, remember Buddy was following Seth Rollinz when Seth was doing his cult-leader charade? Maybe Buddy has a hole in his soul. Maybe he's the real King of the Black Throne and he'll keep the stable even when Malakai turns face some day. 'Cause let's face it, guys, Buddy needs Jesus.

Edited by Horatio
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

The round face guy from 2.0 looks so much like Nasty Boy Knobbs that I keep expecting him to say "nasty-ized!" At the end of a promo.

He looks like a Giambi brother. Weirds me out.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, EVA said:

Now let’s talk about the utter cringe that is Penta Oscuro and Abrahantes dressed as a ghoul.

My thought was Emperor Palpatine.

Fun show. Wish they would have explained the rules of the battle royale. It felt weird when someone would get eliminated but his partner was still in it.

"The Influencer" Chris Jericho seems to have dropped "GFY". This has to be a heel turn right? Nobody really likes Influencers

I hope Thunder Rosa brings Chris Cyborg in to counter act Britts "Friends" 

• Like 1

Eddie/Jericho segment was fantastic besides the insider verbiage from Jericho. Why not just say Eddie’s become beloved or a fan favorite instead of having to drop the babyface line. Part of me wants to see Eddie lose even more matches and turn him into a Honma figure of sorts. Not quite to that extreme, but you could have him lose this big one, then start to wallow the few weeks/months after and “quit” or disappear. Then have some NYC show with a title match, (would be perfect if MJF was champ by then) run an injury angle that takes the challenger out the day of, all the other top 5 are booked or unable to compete, so they announce an open challenge title match substitution during the show, then Kingston comes back and wins the big one, clean finish. He can lose it (back to the same guy even, MJF could turn it into bragging rights that he’s a 2 TIME champion, the first in company history) not long after, I just need to see him win the big one once, and I want it to be as unexpected as possible.  Anyway, thanks for reading my ultimate AEW armchair booking. Also I’d book Eddie vs. Ishii.

Edited by A.M.B.
  • Like 1

the unofficial count of various things

5 matches, 4 post-match brawls, I forget how many matches went to P2P over a break

the most compelling feuds in the promotion are still the ones that don't involve titles

so, there's a guy in a trio of evil asskickers and his first name is Buddy

it seems like Moxley doing his saves from a random tunnel in the audience is inefficient

this seemed like a card where you could shuffle the matches and get very similar results if the final match was the tag battle royal or the Penta match or Danielson

• Like 3

I just watched the first half of the show, which I missed. And I watched the MJF promo. 

Holy shit. 

This isn't low praise, obviously. But Dusty would have been proud. 

(And also, I was too mean to O'Reilly, and Bobby Fish yelling is as good as him blasting people. But DAMN, MJF.) 

EDIT: Good god and then Penta and... whoever almost went into Worst of AAA/WWE Territory before they went into work mode and saved it. That is one hell of a save. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

Watched the MJF promo again. I love how it really poked at Punk leaving in 2014 at a level we haven't touched yet. There've already been hits at that topic from Kingston and MJF. But taking it from the angle of here's this young guy who Punk meant a lot to, who was maybe wounded and shaped by it, who's injecting the issue with some really shitty formative experiences... and that guy also happens to be the smuggest, most entitled brat heel in the company... and he's playing it completely straight and sympathetic? So many good ingredients in this soup. And Punk, who's been playing it righteous this whole time (and rightfully so) about his leaving, is both questioning the sincerity of this guy and probably at the same time examining the effect he may have had on this kid? Goodgoodgood. I don't want to know where the truth stops and the fiction starts. I'm just happy there's stuff like this on TV.

I'm was already getting Revolution primarily for this match, and now my hype is on another level. 

And all credit to Max, who I've been hot and cold on this whole time but who's definitely had his moments. I've found myself sometimes rolling my eyes at him as putting on a show and playing heel way too hard sometimes rather than being one, but also recognize the utility of a guy who's willing to go for it hard. But him having this within him is a whole different level. Beyond impressed. And my perceptions of him "playing heel" can be read retroactively as him always actively papering over this guy, so all the better -- even if he's being manipulative.

To my absolute surprise, I think my second most anticipated Revolution match is Kingston-Jericho. Give me the big issues with big personalities, yes please. Helps that they're finally leaning into it with Jericho and Eddie continues to force the issue. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 8

Am I in a fringe in thinking they sorta announced the dog collar match too quickly and in sort of an anticlimactic way?

Like what’s the on-screen reason why MJF is in a match with that stip?

The promo tonight was either really inspired with new curves or overthinking things a little.

10 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Am I in a fringe in thinking they sorta announced the dog collar match too quickly and in sort of an anticlimactic way?

Like what’s the on-screen reason why MJF is in a match with that stip?

Punk and Mox won the tag match that allowed Punk to name the stip vs him never getting a rematch. No more running as had been occuring. It was either going to be a tethered stip or a cage. I'd have gone with the cage to restrict any potential outside influence, but they've got Piper on the brain. 

I'm not sure that's the most satisfactory road there for everyone, but I got a good promo and a great match out of it (loved the FTR tag) so I'm okay with it. But judge for yourself. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

MJF's promo was top and makes me hope for a stormer of a dog collar match where Punk goes over. MJF gets wilder as the weeks go by, not as cocky as before. Now imagine Danielson being the guy to dethrone Page first, that would make MJF even madder (it shoulda been me!) and add fuel to eventual two-time champ Page v MJF and champ MJF v Danielson. Book it Tony. 

Hope Kingston beats Jericho flatter than a pancake and destroys him verbally afterwards. Want a big cathartic win for Eddie and there are better guys for him to feud with, hopefully Miro can heal up soon so we get a rematch or two. 

Edited by Jimbo_Tsuruta

i probably enjoyed the promos on this show more than any of the actual wrestling

zero interest in the redragon/elite/whatever program, feels like JE are taking a backseat in their PPV title defence, but I did at least enjoy how that whole segment rolled into the Page promo. Cole is a fine title defence for the PPV, he's a big enough pelt for Page to collect and whilest I don't care much myself, it's a match worth running at some point. would rather all these guys be doing something different than retreading previously worn ground though. bucks are basically back to being babyfaces now and will likely help Page by preventing RD from assisting Cole at the PPV

thought the MJF promo was really good and interesting. you don't know whether he was playing Punk or not, and Punk sold it like he was genuinely affected by it. thumbs up from me.

zero interest in this whole House of Black vs DT deal, a bunch of workrate geeks with edgelord gimmicks. I could get behind the Black/Brody/Buddy stable if they were thrown into something more interesting and pushed up the card, but this whole deal feels like its going nowhere

i actually was quite into the jericho vs kingston promo and thought both guys hit their notes well. Kingston absolutely has to go over though after that, and I think they know that. funny how the whole angle of Santana & Ortiz breaking off from Jericho because they were sick of being in his shadow was just a stepping stone to another big Jericho PPV match though

starks vs vance was fine. looking forward to hopefully getting some keith lee vs starks or hobbs singles at some point

cargill vs conti is a nice feud for these two, though the execution of that scrap was fugly as all hell. can someone please train these girls to throw a half decent worked punch rather than these shitty elbows

main event was good stuff and obviously bryan vs moxley should rule

• Like 3

That was a fun show last night. The tag team battle royal could have gone so many different ways. I was hoping for Johnny Silver to pull out the upset, but I can see why they are going with ReDragon and probably The Bucks next week.

Dax Harwood should get an Arn Anderson singles run at some point. He would be a perfect TNT Champion at some point.

Wow, that MJF promo was something else. I saw some comments on FB about how basically that was his villan origin story about how CM Punk broke his heart and drove him towards the dark side. He's a real SOB if he made that all up.

I am psyched for Jericho vs. Kingston. Who would have guessed that match would ever happen. But man, Eddie needs to win this one. He needs a big win. I'd love to see him duck the Judas Effect and win after a Back fist to the future.

Jade vs. The Bunny was an odd match. I know The Bunny can be this great babyface so why they keep her in this role is a bit puzzling. But I am all for Jade vs. Tay. That should be a fun match.

Bryan vs. Garcia was a fun scrap of a match. It setting up Bryan vs. Moxley was a cherry on top of an all ready stacked ppv line up.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jiji said:

MJF dropped one of the best promos in recent memory and we've had some classics to choose from. I was getting emotional watching. Punk's reaction was perfect. Holy shit. It is possible for him to be a babyface, but he's absolutely, as John boi said, weaponizing this. Masterclass theatre. Pay that man whatever he wants, keep him in AEW at all costs.

"Brylan"

Kingston as the working class hero vs. the egomaniacal rock star Jericho is a neat contrast and they really telegraphed Kingston finally getting his big one here. Would be heartbreaking should he lose but they wouldn't, would they?

Sometimes the predictable route is the best one. KOR fucking over Matt Jackson was the right call all the way even if it wasn't surprising. What was unpredictable and neat was the Two Adams stuff bleeding into this, as we build ever so closer to some sort of reconciliation between Bucks, Omega, and Page (still want Bucks to be heels 4ever). And Cole losing his grip on his plans is awesome too. Fantastic booking even if the battle royal was sloppy and overly contrived at times. 

Why the fuck is Bridgeport, Connecticut getting a show before the west coast? Going back to the big east coast markets what a third time before hitting up LA, Portland, and Seattle? faaaack off. deserve the dead crowd. Seattle would've treated it right.

I think the MJF promo was top 3 for best promo in AEW history. At the time I kept waiting for Wardlow to blindside Punk when he came out. Notice Wardlow wasn't there with MJF.  When it didn't happen I said to myself "damn this is the best promo I've seen in years"   I'm not sure how close they were to Long Island but part of me wonders if they thought MJF would get a face reaction like he did in NY.  I really can't wait to see where this goes. 

One thing I know for certain is that AEW Battle of the belts II is going to be in Pittsburgh and I cannot wait to get my tix.  AEW live is one of the best live wrestling experiences around. 

• Like 4