DVDVR Message Board

Destiny 2: Witch Queen

RIPPA

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And speaking of Byf

Yes the fact that Byf is only 26 makes me die a little inside

I'm nine years older than Byf? That somewhat hurts. The man sounds my age or older in a nice mature way. Damn his wonderful voice. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

ITS CLANCY BROWN! LET'S FUCKING GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you sure? That sounded more like Christopher Judge to me. I'd be pretty happy either way admittedly. 

The Vidoc was nice. Glad to see Lightfall & Season of Defiance putting so many characters in play. It will be good to see Devrim Kay used again after 5-6 years of nothing. 

34 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Are you sure? That sounded more like Christopher Judge to me. I'd be pretty happy either way admittedly. 

The folks in Cross' Twitch chat said it was Clancy (who is who I think it is too)

That being said - I haven't found anything that officially confirms it yet

• Like 1

Listening to Aztecross talk about the coming changes was interesting. Can't help but wonder if they are maybe listening too much to streamers and high end players when it comes to increasing the challenge. There is a lot there that is reasonable but some of it I think may end up coming back on them later. Everything shouldn't be easy, but difficulty really should be about the level of particular content itself opposed to  everything, everywhere being sweaty or the hardest content being made harder just because a few thousand can go through it dozens of times weekly while tens of thousands can barely get by once a week. Even with the ability increase I think the issue for some was less legit power creep and more they got used to the gameplay and general mechanics which can only be changed up so much.

Anyways a lot of this is kind of within expectations. I figured the 3.0 ability changes, damage increase on weapons, and double damage perks returning clearly meant difficulty was going to rise with Lightfall. Its why the power creep talk always felt like ridiculous to me. Seemed obvious they increased it because the difficulty itself was jumping up soon. Curious to see how well all of it balances out in the end.

• Like 1

I really comes across as they don’t want people playing solo which would makes sense if in game match making was ready

But I am a little nervous about them being all “because legendary campaign was so popular make the whole game that difficulty”

I was in Datto’s stream when the story was dropped and a lot of folks weren’t thrilled about the lack of talk about the rewards that were going to be offered.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

But I am a little nervous about them being all “because legendary campaign was so popular make the whole game that difficulty”

I loved the legendary campaign and was totally hoping future seasonal events & story missions would have similar difficulty. I also totally wanted it to just be an option like the legendary campaign is. Far too many casuals or average players don't have the time and/or skill for harder content. Feels weird to jump the difficulty up again after making this stuff somewhat more accessible the past year or two.

57 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I was in Datto’s stream when the story was dropped and a lot of folks weren’t thrilled about the lack of talk about the rewards that were going to be offered.

I'm torn on this as I don't really see what rewards would honestly make it more worthwhile than what is already offered. If you are doing any of this even semi-regularly you should either have vault space issues or risk running out of post master space often at the current settings. At the same time I totally get the idea that if this shit is going to be harder, it should also be more rewarding to make it worthwhile.

This goes back to what I mean about streamers maybe having too much of an influence here as PvE is child's play for some of them due to skill and already dedicated fireteams. Most don't have skill to run GMs in less than 15 minutes. Many also don't have dedicated fireteams with mics and the time and/or patience to run some of this multiple times looking for the right loadout.

Edited by Eivion

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I really comes across as they don’t want people playing solo which would makes sense if in game match making was ready

If they really didn't want people playing solo, they wouldn't have had so many Challenges that rewarded you for doing things by yourself.

Esoterickk has gotten soloing down to a fine science.  I have always been envious of his game play but in my own defense, I do not have the ability to devote that much time to fine tuning.  I played that shit for fun and when it began to feel like a chore, I left.

16 hours ago, Eivion said:

Its why the power creep talk always felt like ridiculous to me. Seemed obvious they increased it because the difficulty itself was jumping up soon. Curious to see how well all of it balances out in the end.

The talk about power creep isn't ridiculous and doesn't really have anything to do with the difficulty of the game.  The issue with power creep is that Bungie prides itself on putting overpowered abilities and weapons in the game that the do not bother to test, and they do not consider the second and third order of effects.. 

Things designed to excel in PvP suddenly trivialize PvE content and visa versa and you end up with the great Prometheus Lens and Lord of Wolves debacles. 

And it's not just weapons that are a problem.  Whoever though Stasis was a good idea has never noticed how long three seconds of immobility feels like in PvP.  It's an eternity.

16 hours ago, Eivion said:

Listening to Aztecross talk about the coming changes was interesting. Can't help but wonder if they are maybe listening too much to streamers and high end players when it comes to increasing the challenge.

I would tend to agree.  One of the reasons I remain in retirement is because I enjoy playing other stuff now.  Destiny 2 got so challenging and time consuming that there was rarely any room in my play schedule for anything else.  It was enjoyable when Rippa and I were on at the same time and when I had a small clan to run with, but the grind got painful once Rippa took his break and my clan broke up and moved on to other games.

I don't want to return to a game that takes up so much of my time so I doub't I'll be back before Destiny 3, if it is ever released.  If I start playing this game again, I want to be on the ground floor once more.   Lightfall just seems like striking a match and lighting the fuse of the D2 code bloat bomb.   Sooner or later, the game will crumble under its own weight.

Edited by J.T.

Ironically - The Final Shape might be appealing to you as the common belief is that Bungie is setting up to remove Light Level for the final year

(A lot of the announced steps for Lightfall also seem to be teasing that - like them not raising the power cap after this upcoming season)

But yeah - that was a very common discussion point this past season. Will Destiny 2 be even able to make it the end of The Final Shape? (because of bloat and technical challenges)

Now again - to be fair to Bungie - they tried to address the problem (rightly or wrongly) with Sunsetting but everyone lost their fucking mind so they had to give up on that. And there is a grand irony with a community who complains that the game is bloated and held together by band-aids but and nothing new is added but then also freaks the fuck out if anything is removed

Side note - I always wonder if removing Gambit would help in regards to the technical side. Probably not because it probably lives in its own little world but it is clear Bungie isn't going to develop it anymore (and the majority of players don't play it unless forced too)

Anyway - it all goes back to Activision basically forcing Bungie to keep going with D2 instead of D3. Oh the tangled web of game development

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

And it's not just weapons that are a problem.  Whoever though Stasis was a good idea has never noticed how long three seconds of immobility feels like in PvP.  It's an eternity.

Interestingly enough, Stasis is used so little now in PvP compared to the light subclasses. Any stop feels like forever but the 3 second one is more the current setting and damn near no one uses it. It tends to only work that long with supers now which will kill you anyways. 

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

I would tend to agree.  One of the reasons I remain in retirement is because I enjoy playing other stuff now.  Destiny 2 got so challenging and time consuming that there was rarely any room in my play schedule for anything else.  It was enjoyable when Rippa and I were on at the same time and when I had a small clan to run with, but the grind got painful once Rippa took his break and my clan broke up and moved on to other games.

And this is the exact type of stuff I can see happening if they aren't too careful with challenge increase. I mentioned the power creep stuff because I think with abilities and weapons at where they are now it allows for people in your situation to still come in and enjoy without needing to get too dedicated. 

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

I don't want to return to a game that takes up so much of my time so I doub't I'll be back before Destiny 3, if it is ever released.  If I start playing this game again, I want to be on the ground floor once more.   Lightfall just seems like striking a match and lighting the fuse of the D2 code bloat bomb.   Sooner or later, the game will crumble under its own weight.

With everything there is in D2 can they really make a game as complex or more without the code bloating up sooner than later?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eivion said:

Did you do the annual pass or the Lightfall itself?

I always do the Annual Pass now.

I am far enough down the rabbit hole that I know I am in till the end of time

• Like 1

It is interesting

I loaded my Hunter up for the first time since IB a couple of weeks ago.

I only did a few weeks of this season's story (heck I still haven't finished the Witch Queen story) yet it still shot me to the season ending mission