DVDVR Message Board

Destiny 2: Witch Queen

RIPPA

18 hours ago, Eivion said:

Interestingly enough, Stasis is used so little now in PvP compared to the light subclasses. Any stop feels like forever but the 3 second one is more the current setting and damn near no one uses it. It tends to only work that long with supers now which will kill you anyways.

Indeed and this is probably by design since Bungie has a knack for obsolescence.  What was once powerful is now rendered nigh useless by new content.   And Bungie wonders why so many players either stay religiously or never return after quitting thanks to FOMO and the power gap?

I'm actually looking forward to the wailing and gnashing of teeth from the player base when Strand breaks the game in ways unimaginable.  I'm sure there will be a Nerf Hunters petition before it's all over.

And this is the exact type of stuff I can see happening if they aren't too careful with challenge increase. I mentioned the power creep stuff because I think with abilities and weapons at where they are now it allows for people in your situation to still come in and enjoy without needing to get too dedicated.

Honestly, power creep is probably the reason that difficulty will be ramped up as there is abundant weapon / ability synergy that trivializes content. 

Normally you would combat power creep by content retirement, but there was so much push back over sunsetting that Bungie backed off. 

Bungie is forced to resort to nerfs because players freak out at the prospect of things being removed from the game.

With everything there is in D2 can they really make a game as complex or more without the code bloating up sooner than later?

I don't think so.   Eventually the best course of action is to create clean code and come out with a new version of your software.  If you don't bother to QA your incoming content as Bungie apparently doesn't do, you run the risk of your improvements breaking older parts of your code.

And then the patches designed to fix the stuff you broke end up breaking something else.  it's a vicious cycle.

Of course, the code bloat would not be so bad if D2 wasn't so janky in the first place.

Edited by J.T.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Honestly, power creep is probably the reason that difficulty will be ramped up as there is abundant weapon / ability synergy that trivializes content. 

Normally you would combat power creep by content retirement, but there was so much push back over sunsetting that Bungie backed off. 

Bungie is forced to resort to nerfs because players freak out at the prospect of things being removed from the game.

Datto had a line in his elitist video he dropped (side note - the "elitist" thing is very much tongue in cheek now... or maybe I am becoming more elitist since I agreed with most of his video. Hmm....)

Okay starting again - basically, someone in his chat was complaining about the increase in challenge as "Your job asking you to do 25% more work for no additional pay" and after thinking about Datto said (besides that most people not counting Datto aren't playing Destiny for a job) that it actually is your employer (D2 in this case) gave you a 300% increase in pay for the last 2-3 years without needing to do anything (power creep) and now they (D2) is asking you to fill out some forms every once in awhile.

Basically - everyone who plays regularly will be fine. Many folks who play regularly (this is where I probably fit in) don't realize how good they actually are at the game and will be able to handle the increase just fine. They just don't necessarily believe in there own ability to do so (a lot of imposter syndrome going around)

The people doing the most complaining are the ones who play but barely play. IE: They have no builds, don't slap on mods or artifacts, don't know how mechanics work, only do the easiest content available. Basically they want to be spoon feed the top quality stuff without having to invest any time and effort.

I forgot to put this in the other post and I am too lazy to edit

RE: Stasis

In the runup to Lightfall - Bungie has admitted that Stasis was released WAY too hot for the game and this was because they were afraid of making it too weak when it came out. Unfortunately, they went far too far in the other direction.

It was then a combo of them nerfing most of the Stasis builds into the ground and releasing 3.0 for everything else.

That is why they are, admittedly, terrified about Strand breaking PvP. But really PvP is broken for other reasons so it might all come out in the wash.

Part of the reason Stasis has vanished in PvP in Trials is because Void especially is way too valuable (between Hunters going Invis and Titans have overshields and bubbles basically on demand.) It seems like the only class I see dabbling with Stasis are Warlocks and that is usually for the turret

I think it is part of the reason when IB hits, the week/season is always one light class and Stasis. Otherwise - Stasis wouldn't be used outside the memes.

Honestly, Void isn't super valuable right now with the radar nerf done for invis. The strength of invis was over hyped in the first place. People just hated getting killed by a void hunter and invis was easy to blame. I use void currently just because its what I'm used to as my go to subclass in PvE. I don't really kill much better with it than I do Arc or Stasis. Solar is probably the strongest PvP class for Hunters due to an exotic that turns one of the knives into a headshotting homing device and yet damn near no one uses it. GJake has shown how destructive an explosive knife and trip mines build can be as his go to as well. And yet Solar feels like its used nearly as little as Stasis.

Edit: Listening to Aztecross go over the TWAB.

They revealed artifact mods. We are getting glaives and swords comboed up into one mod. Lots of stuff for Strand, Solar, & Void. Some of it sounds pretty damn powerful which again makes the reasoning behind upping the difficulty make sense. 

They also explained all the ability effects and how they work against champions. Looks like nothing is combined. Effects will overwrite each other however long they last. Exotics that already have an effect won't be overwritten.

Apparently they tried to balance the difficulty better for Legend mode in the campaign. I know the difference between having a team of 2 vs. 3 were pretty big. I had a much easier time beating Savathun and even Seraph Shield with 1 teammate than I did 2. Sounds like it will be slightly less crazy. 

Oh and swapping extoic armors during Trials and Comp will now reset your ability energy.

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Oh and swapping extoic armors during Trials and Comp will now reset your ability energy.

This was the thing that stood out to me when I read the TWAB - I am stunned it took them this long to make that change

56 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

This was the thing that stood out to me when I read the TWAB - I am stunned it took them this long to make that change

I didn't think of it as a big thing for PvP until they brought it up here. I hear about gear swaps but usually only with PvE. Seeing them actually make the change suddenly did make me wonder how it was only happening now. 

22 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The people doing the most complaining are the ones who play but barely play. IE: They have no builds, don't slap on mods or artifacts, don't know how mechanics work, only do the easiest content available. Basically they want to be spoon feed the top quality stuff without having to invest any time and effort.

i totally agree that the people that take time to understand game mechanics, raid, hone PvP skills, and pay for content should get the best stuff.  I think we all know by now what "free 2 play" really means and if we aren't willing to make the time and cash investments to maximize our playing experience, we shouldn't reap the best rewards in the game.

That beings said, the grind is still ridiculous even for seasoned paying customers.

Honestly, Void isn't super valuable right now with the radar nerf done for invis.

I've said it before but it bears repeating, "Idiots that ask for Invis nerfs have forgotten what a blessing it is to have a Void Hunter there for revive runs."  At least Bungie appears to be doing is its best to see to it that nerfs done for the sake of PvP balance do not bleed into PvE.

And yeah, more often than not, I am usually running Solar in any sort of PvP, especially in Comp Elim where one BB at the right time in the final round will win you the match.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Re: the Launch Trailer

We are so so fucked

BTW - Byf pointed out that (this isn't really a spoiler outside I guess a lore spoiler but just in case...)

Spoiler

In the shot where the Witness and his light beam power is slicing everything into pieces. The ghost and guardian who are getting taken out are one of the OG fireteam members dating back to the original Destiny trailer (and also explains them showing up in the season end cinematic)

I took a break from Destiny for the past few weeks so I wouldn't be burnout on the game. I am happy launch day is in a couple of days but I am going to dodge spoilers all day until I get home. Basically don't go to reddit, Twitter, or YT and I should be fine. Or I could just be magically sick that day.

39 minutes ago, Shadow said:

I took a break from Destiny for the past few weeks so I wouldn't be burnout on the game. I am happy launch day is in a couple of days but I am going to dodge spoilers all day until I get home. Basically don't go to reddit, Twitter, or YT and I should be fine. Or I could just be magically sick that day.

Yeah - Tuesday is gonna suck because I will want to do is watch streamers but know I can't until I get home

Fortunately I "work from home" on Wednesday

Reminder that because of the 24 hours shutdown prior to Lightfall - today is basically the last day to get anything done.

I am working today but I am hoping to at least hop on with my Hunter to do the last Witch Queen story mission.

I have tried to minimize how much news about Lightfall so I'd have some surprises. But I broke down and listened to Houndish's update.

H: Heavy grenade launchers are getting a buff...

Me: Sweet that'll give me a reason to break out Para-

H: All except Parasite.

Me: Fuck.

• RIPPA locked this topic