DVDVR Message Board

Destiny 2: Witch Queen

RIPPA

13 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

To stay on topic: How is the game now? Could someone jump in after years away and figure out what to do?

In general, the experience for new players is terrible. It is one of the big known complaints but even Bungie acknowledged they won't really be able to fix until they are beyond the current main story (which isn't ending for two more years)

If you played Destiny 2 before, it isn't as bad but it is very overwhelming (since it is basically "Here is 4 seasons worth of campaign to do... oh and here is all the seasonal content.) Obviously, becomes easier if you have/find people to help Sherpa you through

Also, since a new Year is set to start in February with Lightfall - it usually is better to wait till then (though if someone started now with the new Season that starts in November, you could at least have one character ready to go instead of having to doing all the "New Light" campaign stuff first before being able to do the new storyline stuff)

I am approaching 1 year into Destiny and I would say if you just had the base game to wait until Beyond Light and Witch Queen go on sale. Beyond Light to get the stasis class and Witch Queen to get some of the newer guns. Lightfall in February has a few pre-order bonuses but they're only okay.

I can also attest that the new player experience is trash and confusing but if you can get past it it's really fun. If you're on playstation I'd be willing to help out.

More power creep complaints from top players. It's a strange thing since I get some of their points, but I continue to think the vast majority of them lack understanding that they are not normal players, and some of power creep they complain about is still based on a skill gap between them and other players. The more time they play the more they start to understand this game's encounters subconsciously. Build crafting with gear and classes has helped the average player catch up, but most of them will still be wiped out by anything beyond legend. I've seen this plenty of time doing LFGs with randos who clearly have no idea what they are doing even with "good" builds. Its rare I actually find a team that succeeds on Master or higher within the first two tries (assuming they don't bail after the first failure).

Just feels weird to complain about power creep when these same people will bitch about the new player experience sucking. Don't see how making everything harder will help. Would be kind of neat to see a scaling intelligence for AI depending on difficulty, but I'm also pretty sure that is there on some minor level and harder to pull off than they think at this stage. I also was surprised to see them leave out that some of the activities probably just need to be changed and rescaled a bit in general since they haven't been updated since they were created.

• Like 1

I know a lot of folks want them to put in place things like the Raids having the option to turn Contest Mode on whenever you want

Which goes to your point about adaptive difficulty

I do wonder if it is a lot of folks just saying things now so Bungie will actually consider them for the post Final Shape world (since I have to believe most people - or at least content providers - acknowledge that nothing will happen till Final Shape at the earliest)

• Like 2

Maybe. I'm honestly curious what they do post Final Shape. It feels like we should be leaving the solar system after that, but that also feels like a D3 type of thing.

I do think many of the changes they want will probably take that long or longer (if they happen) just due to the difficulty of implementing them in general. I did like the suggestion of more new enemy types. I love the Lucient Brood and despise Hydras in a good way. I suspect Tormentors and Calus's new Legion will provide similar extra bits of difficulties. 

• Like 1

Another reminder of all the shit I have to do on my Hunter - a couple of days ago Conflux was the Legend/Master Lost Sector so I was like "Oh that one is easy - let me grind for exotics on my Hunter"

Yeah - had to actually do the Lost Sector normally first before I could do that.

• Haha 1

Apparently there is an interviewer with weapon developers running around out there with interesting info. Origin Traits were originally intended to be pure Foundry focused. Sounds like we will see Black Armory weapons return at some point with the tease they gave. New Foundry traits are suppose to be arriving in the coming seasons.

Guessing Braytech and maybe Ikelos weapons return with a Braytech origin trait next season. Also guessing we get a completely new foundry or two from Neomuna in Lightfall.

5 hours ago, Eivion said:

Bungie has either hidden whatever is going on with Telesto well or really fucking with the community. I have no idea which I prefer.

I am gonna be honest - Paul Tassi was the only person I saw who had even hinted at a "community event" and then yesterday he posted a video entitled "I guess I was wrong"

I didn't watch either but the little I gathered it seemed like it was more the community working themselves into a shoot than Bungie doing anything

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am gonna be honest - Paul Tassi was the only person I saw who had even hinted at a "community event" and then yesterday he posted a video entitled "I guess I was wrong"

I didn't watch either but the little I gathered it seemed like it was more the community working themselves into a shoot than Bungie doing anything

The community event stuff was datamined a month or two ago. It should have been to improve the Eliksni quarter. The stuff with Telesto being the beginning was the crackpot theory of Tassi, Lucky, and others.

As far as the community working themselves into a shoot. This isn't fully on them....this time. Telesto is bugged essentially on purpose with a new fire mode and animation that makes no sense. Bungie pretty much had to have done that on purpose to some degree.

Edited by Eivion

I will give them credit

If this leads to the removal of Telesto from the game - it definitely is creative

(And the Destiny account is a real treat right now)

Datto is the first one I would expect to have the no fucks given attitude. If a real mission comes out of it he will enjoy it, but he doesn't usually get too into the craziness of this stuff anymore if he ever really did. Besides new God of War is going trump Destiny 2 mystery for a lot of people.