DVDVR Message Board

Destiny 2: Witch Queen

RIPPA

13 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Memory is a little off. Jotunn only got its catalyst this season.

Bah.  I used the Arbalest with Catalyst and got really good at it.  I thought about doing the new VoG to get the D2 Mythoclast, but decided against it.

I am old and have a faulty memory and probably have a high triglyceride count.

Edited by J.T.

I played the original, but never Crucible more than once or twice so I never played Rift. Only played once so far, but I can understand the dislike for it. Its different, but its also a mode very much designed for people who like/love team PvP. Having to do nothing but that for a week of IB is going to get old and annoying fast for solo players just trying to get bounties done. I had at least 2-3 people drop from team because of how bad we were doing.

• Like 1

People not liking the mode is one thing

People making death threats and threatening the families of community managers because they don't like the mode is another

• Sad 2

Of Fuck anyone doing that. Those people are crazy assholes.

Edit: Alright after half a dozen or so games of Rift I'm leaning towards liking it......maybe. Its definitely a mode made for real teams, but its not so bad once you get used to it. I suspect the hate for it is similar towards the hate towards Solar 3.0 where people are bitching and moaning because they aren't really taking the time to familiarize themselves with how it works. Once you get used to it its not so bad. I do think the new map probably makes it worse for anyone unfamiliar with D1 Crucible maps like myself as you are thrown off by the sheer size of it along some maze like aspects. That one will take time getting used to.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, RIPPA said:

As per usual - I fucking hate the Destiny community sometimes

14 hours ago, RIPPA said:

As per usual - I fucking hate the Destiny community sometimes

They are all idiots that could not play a game objective that did not involve shooting if their lives depended on it. 

They are all morons.  Rift was fun as hell.  I had orb dunking down to a fine science.

12 hours ago, RIPPA said:

People making death threats and threatening the families of community managers because they don't like the mode is another.

These people will get more than a ban, right?  There will be charges filed, yes?

13 hours ago, Eivion said:

I played the original, but never Crucible more than once or twice so I never played Rift. Only played once so far, but I can understand the dislike for it. Its different, but its also a mode very much designed for people who like/love team PvP. Having to do nothing but that for a week of IB is going to get old and annoying fast for solo players just trying to get bounties done. I had at least 2-3 people drop from team because of how bad we were doing.

Rift is awesome.  It is a lot like rugby or hockey.  If you've ever played Halo, it's a lot like Grifball.

A team that knows how to defend their rift or protect the orb runner and attack the enemy rift will win.   For starters, you need to have a player that likes to run the orb.  Most dumb players will want to be free to pad their K/D's by shooting players on the other side, but playing Rift as if it were Clash will only earn you a loss.

The clan I used to run would totally fucking dominate at Rift.  We were so good that we'd easily chase off one or two members of the other team and have like a 5-3 Power Play for the remainder of the match.

Edited by J.T.

Now that I have read through some of the threads, it sounds like the problem with Rift is that it was half-assed implementation of Rift.

1. Revive times are far too long for downed players.  Ten seconds is an eternity.  I'd make the respawn timer only five seconds or so to keep the action going and reinforce the idea that kills do not win the game.  I am not sure if you can still score points for player kills, but I would revise the rules so that only killing orb runners results in points for the defending team.  I'd also suspend K/D and KA/D counts for the match to keep players on objective.
  2. It also sounds like they did not lower the movement speed for the orb runner.  The whole point of slowing the orb runner's movement speed is so that his team will clear a path to the Rift for him.  

I think I am done visiting the Bungie board for a week or two.  That place hurts my heart and costs me brain cells.

• Like 1

Okay - I am gonna put my general Rift thoughts after a day in the another post but this one is the BIG issue that isn't related to the gameplay mechanics, etc...

How can you have a game breaking bug that triggers so easily? (If the Rift carrier drops the Spark too close to the dunk spot - the Spark can vanish for the rest of the game)

If you are only going to offer IB twice the entire season and only have it be one mode - how the fuck does this get out of testing? There is no way it couldn't have shown up.

I, fortunately, only had it happen to me once in the matches I played but basically I played an eight minute unofficial Clash match (with no stats) until the game went to OT and we could finish it. (I was actually shocked that no one quit out.)

• Like 1

Okay - general thoughts

For the most part it is Rift from D1. For me that is a good thing because I really enjoy the mode. However, I just understand how it can be confusing for a "new" player, especially if they are Solo

HOWEVER - this goes back, I know JT will agree with me here, PLAY THE FUCKING OBJECTIVE! I mean it is infuriating in things like Control when folks aren't capturing. Rift is the ultimate team game. Nothing matters expect securing the Rift and dunking. I understand the frustration over it being the only IB mode at least for now but my answer to that is just to adapt for now. I am not happy about having to play Comp for certain quests/triumphs/etc... but I will do it and I know what to expect going in.

I didn't get to play until the evening so I think by that point it had weeded out a lot of the rage quitters and folks who played the mode once and then demanded Bungie remove it from the game. I played only in Freelance and only had two matches were a team was steamrolled - once I was on the hammer, once I was on the nail. The rest were all good back and forth matches with minimal folks dropping out (this included the match I talked about that was bugged)

As time went on - I think more and more people understand at least, theoretically, better ways to play. The number one thing I wish people would fucking learn is if you pick up the Rift close to your home base, go any direction BUT in front of your home base. Multiple times I had teammates do that, get killed and the other team got an instant dunk.

I know why they made the revive 10 seconds but they want to emphasis the importance of picking a teammate up. The problem is there is absolute no reward for doing so. So you could make a clutch defense, revive two teammates but in the overall sense, it means nothing if you don't dunk first. (JT - so to your point - K/D is already turned off as you see nothing on the end screen except dunks, carries and teammate revives). And waiting out those 10 seconds when you teammates have no interest in reviving you - fucking suck. (Now to be fair - I run into those fuckers in Trials too)

Speaking of Trials - I know some folks were pissed just because they are never happy when IB shows up because it means no Trials. The fact that folks have to wait to Week 3 for Trials has infuriated some since prior to this season starting.

Datto was making the point on his stream and I think this is another point that might bug Solo players - it is virtually impossible to Solo carry in this version of Rift. In D1 you could. You really can't in this one. So it goes back to - if you get shit teammates, it is little a 10 minute slog just to collect the XP at the end. (Or quit out and get nothing)

And if the Daily Challenge is just "complete X matches" it minimizes things even more. Like at least, previously, you could work on bounties in matches you were getting crushed in. Those are gone.

I somehow got under the impression that IB was only going to be on the new map (kinda like how Trials each week is on one set map). So anytime I was anywhere other than the new map was a bummer. I can't wait to play the new map on Control to fully be able to explore.

There is part of me that feels they are gonna have to either add an extra week this season or make the second IB week Control. However, Bungie is stubborn so I doubt they will. They clearly will make other changes before the 2nd Week but this season is gonna be packed with growing pains.

• Like 2

I had a feeling that the hate of Rift on the Bungie boards was from the "SHOOT THINGS WITH GUNS REEEEE~!" people and not from players who had actually played Rift.  The game is full of people that just want to kill stuff for loot and could not play an objective to save their lives.  That's one of the reasons that I hate it that it is possible for the offensive team in Countdown to win a round without setting off one of the fucking bombs.

Rift is fun when you are with people who know how to play Rift.  It is infuriating when you're stuck with a bunch of 'tards that have never played Griffball in Halo or done any sort of team activity in real life.

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

Now that I have read through some of the threads, it sounds like the problem with Rift is that it was half-assed implementation of Rift.

1. Revive times are far too long for downed players.  Ten seconds is an eternity.  I'd make the respawn timer only five seconds or so to keep the action going and reinforce the idea that kills do not win the game.  I am not sure if you can still score points for player kills, but I would revise the rules so that only killing orb runners results in points for the defending team.  I'd also suspend K/D and KA/D counts for the match to keep players on objective.
  2. It also sounds like they did not lower the movement speed for the orb runner.  The whole point of slowing the orb runner's movement speed is so that his team will clear a path to the Rift for him.  

I think I am done visiting the Bungie board for a week or two.  That place hurts my heart and costs me brain cells.

The revive factor was my biggest issue. You pretty much had the exact thoughts I had about the changes needed.

The movement speed didn't bother me. I only managed to more or less sneak in an orb once. Otherwise every time I did it or someone on my team did it was as or after we cleared a path.

Wondering if that new world drop SMG Enyo-D might be bugged. The one I just got somehow had 0 reload speed. I didn't think that was possible sans tradeoffs from the Iron Banner perks or Adept mods. Even changing perks only pushed it up to 18.

I took a few weeks off to play a few other games and to take a break from D2. Apparently the whole world changed with the gun changes. As a hunter am I aiming for mobility/resilience now instead of recovery? Looking forward to doing the new dungeon as the weapons look dope. I haven't enjoyed solar as much as void but I will give it time and try some builds from the creators on YouTube or Twitch.

I like the story. I'm proud of Crow. Really wish he hadn't killed the psion but really good comeback. I don't know much about Calus but I am interested in his involvement with the darkness. Lastly I have to go and read your posts on how to play this IB. I've been finding that even with lower skill playing the objective is still really useful.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Lastly I have to go and read your posts on how to play this IB. I've been finding that even with lower skill playing the objective is still really useful.

Its very much an objective focused activity which I like. Its good for things to be more than kill, kill, kill in some modes.

Datto posted his video yesterday and it was basically everything we had already talked about.

I am always amused when PvE folks complain about PvP tryhards and their optimized loadouts when all they do is talk about the only weapons you are allowed to use in Grandmasters. (I was also amused that I hadn't see a single Witherhoard in Rift until after Datto's video)

The revive/respawn is definitely the biggest problem. Especially if you are on the giant new map - I died, didn't get revived, got spawn behind my own dunk point and since my team was on the offensive had to run all the back to the other side of this giant ass map. It was almost a good minute between gun shots.

On 6/2/2022 at 8:01 AM, RIPPA said:

I am always amused when PvE folks complain about PvP tryhards and their optimized loadouts when all they do is talk about the only weapons you are allowed to use in Grandmasters. (I was also amused that I hadn't see a single Witherhoard in Rift until after Datto's video)

Yeah, they are the first ones to complain about PvP meta, but think nothing about their Must Have XXX Weapon requirements when they make fireteam posts.   

People who want to take their first shot at a raid will not have the fucking endgame weapon loot from that raid that you are demanding they have if they want a slot on the team, dumbasses.

• Like 1

Got stuck in my first infinite respawn bug during a Rift match

Fortunately it happened right at the end of the match so after about 5 times the game finally ended

Finished up enough IB bounties for all the pinnacles I think. Not sure if I will play more or not. PvP will always frustrate me a bit since I'm an average player, but Rift is the most I can recall enjoying any Crucible activity. I kind of want to get the triumphs and reset. Still what may determine that is how I do elsewhere like Duality.

Still haven't beaten Duality, but I did finally get past the second encounter. One of the new solar fragment helped out a tremendous amount. I'm at the final boss checkpoint wise. The boss themselves isn't too bad. Its the mobs that make things a little difficult/annoying. I think with a slightly altered loadout and another set of decent teammates I should be fine. Have to admit I like the lore bits and general look of the dungeon. I'm just not the biggest fan of the boss fights' mechanics or platforming.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Eivion said:

Finished up enough IB bounties for all the pinnacles

My understanding is you get one (a pinnacle) for each challenge you complete and then you get one at each major rank of reputation (like how the other activities currently work)

So technically you get more in a week than you used to (the fact that IB only happens twice a season counterbalances this)

They did announce last night that they fixed the bugs that were affecting IB rep from progressing as fast as it was supposed to

• Like 1