DVDVR Message Board

Destiny 2: Witch Queen

RIPPA

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

It really does feel like this is the best campaign they have ever done across two games.

However, I do admit that it has been so long since I played Taken King I don't remember a lot of TK so it could be recency bias

TK had a decent amount of lore, but it was not as story heavy as Forsaken.  From what I've seen on the webs, I can believe that the Bungo writing team finally got it right.  I haven't seen Byf this animated about a campaign since Forsaken.

Well I am also talking about stuff to do during the campaign

Forsaken disguised a lot of stuff behind glorified Lost Sectors (aka go kill a Baron)

Where this has a lot of missions and some of them long as fuck

Did the other new strike - that one was better in being able to tell what the hell what was going on.

I think it helped that you do it as part of a quest step so everyone had the same objective and didn't want to fuck around.

Finished Chapter 2 an hour or so ago. That mission was a bit annoying with few places to run. Would be nice if those damn fire pits weren't one of the extras on legendary. Then I could freely use the glaive.

Spoiler

So Mara's ritual was fully successful technically. I figured the Traveler gave Savathun and the hive light. I didn't think Savathun actually died and lost her memories when until our dumbasses recovered them for her.

Its also interesting reading the lore reports and seeing Zavala and Ikora losing trust in each other though with Zavala its more Ikora's abilities and mental state. Also interesting that our guardian is getting pushed more and more to take an official position in the Vanguard. Can't wait to see whats next.

Edited by Eivion

Finished the Witch Queen campaign. Went far in the final mission, but that Savathun fight was pretty darn annoying on legendary. its possible to solo, but a crew makes it easier despite increased difficulty. Going through that campaign on legendary was frustrating hell but oddly fun. its also made me realize I probably can solo dungeons though likely not without going insane with rage.

Not sure if its the best Destiny campaign ever since I never did everything in D1, but its definitely feels like its up there. A part of me still prefers Forsaken due to how personal it was with Cayde-6, but this is pretty much on the same level at worst. 

Spoiler

The Hive being the Traveler's original choice was....unexpected. Like those fuckers seemed semi-evil even before the worms gods so clearly the Traveler does not give a fuck about morality. More than ever it feels like the Drifter is right in that all of these god powers basically suck and are out for themselves opposed to a true good vs. evil battle. Savathun's plan being somethign that actually was intended to protect the Traveler was a nice touch and again goes to that idea that its a bit of a self-serving prick. That stinger at the end that was presumably the Witness was sweet. We are all so damn fucked.

Really looking forward to seeing how the rest of the year plays out. It pretty much has to all be building to Lightfall which makes me curious on what we see first between stuff like the return of Calus and exo Rasputin.

• Like 1

Learning from folks that trying to Solo Legendary is basically like one giant darkness zone has pretty much put me off trying since the checkpoint system is not kind.

There was one point in one of the last couple of missions where I died and was like “Fuck - I have to do that all again???” Can’t imagine that feeling on Legendary 

3 hours ago, Eivion said:

Not sure if its the best Destiny campaign ever since I never did everything in D1, but its definitely feels like its up there. A part of me still prefers Forsaken due to how personal it was with Cayde-6, but this is pretty much on the same level at worst. 

Yeah, Forsaken was very immersive and felt personal.  It is my favorite Bungo storyline.  It was a bold choice for them to bring Uldren back as the Crow but it also felt a little like a betrayal of Cayde's memory, especially after how the Vanguard got all wishy washy about how they should treat Uldren.   

Of all the people to make a Guardian, Uldren's retard Ghost picks him.  Oh well, Ghosts have made worse choices.  I'm looking at you, Drifter.

As for the spoilerish stuff.

Spoiler

I wasn't surprised that the Hive were the Traveler's first pick.  It gave them a taste of the Light and they have been trying to devour it ever since.  It also shakes out that the Traveler is only concerned with its own protection and gives the Light to the races that seem capable of waging its proxy war on the Darkness.  When it comes to allies, the Traveler makes some pretty shit decisions to be such a powerful cosmic entity.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Finally starting the Season of Risen story. So yeah Bungie was kind of dumb for saying we should do it after Witch Queen which I assume had to do with them making the PsiOps event too damn high light level wise initially. The damn thing is very blatantly during the first few missions of Witch Queen and feels off doing after instead of starting during. The story is solid. I enjoy Zavala wanting to Saladin to mentor Crow. Considering how they see each other it should be a hilarious torture of both men.

33 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Learning from folks that trying to Solo Legendary is basically like one giant darkness zone has pretty much put me off trying since the checkpoint system is not kind.

There was one point in one of the last couple of missions where I died and was like “Fuck - I have to do that all again???” Can’t imagine that feeling on Legendary 

The checkpoint is pretty much where each chest is located. Some aren't so bad. Others feel kind of brutal. Its definitely something to do with a fireteam like dungeons and Nightfalls. Honestly, I feel the most brutal aspect is the revive system for when we enter darkness zones. That could be a bit more forgiving.

19 minutes ago, J.T. said:

As for the spoilerish stuff.

Hide contents

I wasn't surprised that the Hive were the Traveler's first pick.  It gave them a taste of the Light and they have been trying to devour it ever since.  

Spoiler

What I found interesting was the idea though that the Hive were victims. The Worms and likely Witness straight up lied to them and tricked the Hive into joining them before the Traveler could make them it's champions. The God wave that would have destroyed them was a straight up bullshit prophecy they fed into Sathona's head.

Edited by Eivion

Yeah - the only reason I didn't do more of the Season of the Risen was because of them saying it was 1500 LL. Once I saw that after the first two parts - I didn't even bother.

I am hoping I can solo the Dead Messenger quest - it is recommended at 1520 so I am doing the weekly stuff first. (I already know the location - JT would be happy)

Eivion - I am assuming you read the last part of the Lore. So now I am wondering what the deeper meaning is.

Dammit Byf! Get cracking!

• Like 1

God I am an idiot

I only just realized now why the gave suppressor grenades to all - so everyone can counter Lightbearer supers - especially considering how quickly their supers recharge

• Like 1

Got my first Battleground that they converted to a strike - it is exactly the same except no Champions and no bonus chests at the end.

I like that the Parasite quest brings you to all the Lost Sectors so you can knock off two things at once. Downside is that I didn't realize Lost Sectors are LL 1520 - so very squishy

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Eivion - I am assuming you read the last part of the Lore. So now I am wondering what the deeper meaning is.

Are you talking about the Mars Missives?

Spoiler

Last thing I saw more or less saw Eris confirming the reports from Ciaitl, Zavala, and Ikora (second one) were likely bullshit from Savathun. Or are you talkign about her weird interest in our specific guardians?

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

God I am an idiot

I only just realized now why the gave suppressor grenades to all - so everyone can counter Lightbearer supers - especially considering how quickly their supers recharge

I did not think of this until you said it. Fucking hell would that have made the legendary run easier had I known.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Got my first Battleground that they converted to a strike - it is exactly the same except no Champions and no bonus chests at the end.

I like the Battlegrounds as strikes. They run at a decent pace and feel well at home.

Yes - I was talking about the Mars Missives - specifically the 3s and the 8s

Don't feel bad - I only remembered yesterday to go to Ikora and get all the Warlock and Hunter grenades

I am not feeling the Gambit changes - mainly because there are still far too many things broken (motes still spawn under ground, revives are borked, etc..)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Yes - I was talking about the Mars Missives - specifically the 3s and the 8s

I kept wondering what was up with those. It was nice to see it wasn't just a strange spelling mistake.

14 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am not feeling the Gambit changes - mainly because there are still far too many things broken (motes still spawn under ground, revives are borked, etc..)

Revives have been working fine for me, much better than previously.

Oh no - In multiple matches someone would revive me, it would fill to 100... and then I was back at zero

Happened both to me and me trying revive people.

Now I will say this could be a broader problem then just Gambit because I saw some folks complaining about it while going through Legendary

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The Hive have supers in PvE?  Holy fuck, no wonder they gave everyone Suppressors.

36 minutes ago, J.T. said:

The Hive have supers in PvE?  Holy fuck, no wonder they gave everyone Suppressors.

Did you never see the Witch Queen trailers? We straight up have to kill Hive ghosts in 10-15 seconds or the fuckers revive. The Hive Knights even use suppressors.....the bastards. So far its just boss focused so its not too bad. That said there are little butterflies running around that empower red and yellow bars and turn into kamikaze grenades after you kill the enemies.

Edited by Eivion

Yeah - Knights use Sentinel shield, use suppressors and have a Citan barricade.

Wizards are Stormcallers

Acolytes use blade barrage and the fuckers throw it twice in quick succession 

Wizards' stormcaller roles are also a bit more literal.

And those solar acolytes' blade barrage has partial homing capability. You pretty much had to hide behind pillars and hope the AOE damage is small.

Edited by Eivion

I was very excited to beat the legendary campaign only to see my exotic reward have stats in the 40s. I hope it's just a bug. On the other hand the campaign was a fucking banger. This was way better than the other three. The implications of what we found out is...troubling.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Eivion said:

Did you never see the Witch Queen trailers? We straight up have to kill Hive ghosts in 10-15 seconds or the fuckers revive. The Hive Knights even use suppressors.....the bastards. So far its just boss focused so its not too bad. That said there are little butterflies running around that empower red and yellow bars and turn into kamikaze grenades after you kill the enemies.

Oh, I knew they had Ghosts, but holy fuck, man.  Enemies with supers and suppressors?  That's ridiculous.  

Or maybe not if you can use Stasis to smersh their Supers like you can to poor players in PvP.  I'm wagering that's not the case and the devs really want you to put Void 3.0 through its paces in order to beat the new Super Hive.

I'm kinda disappointed.  I'd have thought that the Hive would have Light powers that resembled Hive magic.  I'm not really impressed by them having the same Light powers as Guardians do.