DVDVR Message Board

HORIZON FORBIDDEN WEST

Raziel

Apparently I'm about at the end of the game.  But I do have an awesome mount.  And I have a fucking ton of the map not even touched yet, so looks like I'm off for hunting before running the end (I'm guessing, I haven't hit an official point of no return warning).  

The one thing this game is doing is once you overlevel and have a good loadout (and know where everything's weak points are), it gets about as easy as ZD was toward the end.  You just need actually use the elemental ammo and not just Advanced arrows.

And the fucking Zeniths didn't need to give me another reason to want to end their unnaturally long lives...

I reached the level cap in Horizon and I am only 55% of the way through the game. Too many fun side missions. I just did a level 20 side mission that obviously was easy but I really liked the story and there were good resources along the way. I am being selective though - the melee pits and hunter challenges I feel are often less fun than they should be so I skip those, but the "in town" side missions are too enticing.

I just finished HZD and man, what a lame fucking way to handle beating the game.  Just as bad as Witcher 3.  You're giving people an open-world game, FFS!  It's OK to have real stuff to do after the main quest is done!

Otherwise, it's about as interesting of a story as anything I've played since probably Morrowind.  I think there are a lot of things I would have done very differently - I would have pumped in several more quest lines and fuller descriptions of the other nodes, for example - but they plotted this out well otherwise.  Just...would have greatly preferred to do goofy side quest stuff after game-over, but instead...mehhhhhhhhhhhhh.

8 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I reached the level cap in Horizon and I am only 55% of the way through the game. Too many fun side missions. I just did a level 20 side mission that obviously was easy but I really liked the story and there were good resources along the way. I am being selective though - the melee pits and hunter challenges I feel are often less fun than they should be so I skip those, but the "in town" side missions are too enticing.

I don't really plan on doing the board game or the melee pits, unless someone can tell me that there is a pretty good in-game reward for doing so. Otherwise, I'll wait till I finish the main game so I can get the trophies.

2 hours ago, RandomAct said:

I don't really plan on doing the board game or the melee pits, unless someone can tell me that there is a pretty good in-game reward for doing so. Otherwise, I'll wait till I finish the main game so I can get the trophies.

Yea I'm not doing the board game either. I have no issue with in-game mini games, I liked Witcher 3 and Valhalla's mini games, but this one didn't really grip me and I figured the 100+ hours I am going to drop on this game is enough.

The melee pit I did a few but being forced to do an exact combination of moves that in my experience doesn't always work wasn't my idea of a good time. I'm sure the prize is fine but I probably won't ever get around to it.

Beat the game today, my "official" time according to the progression screen was 77 hours. Sounds about right. Now I just have to decide what few missions I have left I care about enough to keep playing, then onto Elden Ring. There are a lot of things I didn't do and by the end I just kinda ran through the last batch of main mission quests in a row, overpowered as hell and having no issues with the end game run.

Overall I really enjoyed it. I could nitpick some stuff, and it didn't have the same "OMG" effect on me as the first Horizon game which I consider one of the best games of last gen. But still an easy recommendation for anyone that enjoys this style of game.

One thing I'm always impressed with in these games is just thinking how massive the script must have been. Not only was there a lot of optional talking/explanations from companions but even when walking around the tribes the off-screen "banter" changed based on where you were in the story. It wasn't like you'd walk through a tribe at end-game and they'd mention something that happened in the first hour, but the most recent development of whoever you had defeated. Its a small thing but just shows an extra level of effort that I appreciate.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2022 at 11:20 PM, Contentious C said:

I just finished HZD and man, what a lame fucking way to handle beating the game.  Just as bad as Witcher 3.  You're giving people an open-world game, FFS!  It's OK to have real stuff to do after the main quest is done!

Otherwise, it's about as interesting of a story as anything I've played since probably Morrowind.  I think there are a lot of things I would have done very differently - I would have pumped in several more quest lines and fuller descriptions of the other nodes, for example - but they plotted this out well otherwise.  Just...would have greatly preferred to do goofy side quest stuff after game-over, but instead...mehhhhhhhhhhhhh.

There is a narrative reason for why HZD kicks you back to the pre-final boss part of the game, if that makes it better at all.

That's something I ended up liking a lot about HFW.  When you finish the main story, you can still do everything afterwards and a lot of dialogue changes to reflect things that happened in the main story, not only between main characters, but also the ambient dialogue you hear walking around.

I have no idea right now how they're gonna handle 3, but we'll definitely need at least PS5's for it.

• 2 weeks later...

So I think I figured out the big difference between the two games.  ZD has you feeling the need to complete everything before the last mission, where as I finished up the story of FW but haven't felt compelled to start cleaning up all the sidequests yet.

• 1 month later...

I'm not looking at a single post in this thread since I'm still making my way through the story of Forbidden West, buuuut...

NG+ patch came out today, with Ultra Hard difficulty added too. The next patch will include VRR support and a 40fps mode.

• 1 month later...

I've had this game since day one but my free time is extremely limited, but last week I was on vacation and had a few days to finish up and 120 hours total have passed and I have the Platinum. Really hate the couple melee fights you have to do for that and machine strike doesn't interest me at all but overall, I really enjoyed myself and might dip in once in a while to hunt a Tremortusk. 

• 3 months later...