DVDVR Message Board

NJPW 50th Anniversary Show, 1st March and New Japan Cup 2022.

The Natural

NJPW 50th Anniversary Show I've coped and pasted from f4wonline.com:

Kazuchika Okada, Hiroshi Tanahashi & Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Minoru Suzuki, Zack Sabre Jr. & Yoshiaki Fujiwara

IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Champions Hirooki Goto & YOSHI-HASHI vs. IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Champions Ryusuke Taguchi & Master Wato

Togi Makabe, Tomoaki Honma, Tomohiro Ishii, Toru Yano & Shiro Koshinaka vs. Tetsuya Naito, SANADA, Shingo Takagi, Hiromu Takahashi & BUSHI

Kota Ibushi, Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima & Yuji Nagata vs. Will Ospreay, Great-O-Khan, Jeff Cobb & Aaron Henare

STRONGHEARTS (CIMA, T-Hawk & El Lindaman) vs. El Desperado, Yoshinobu Kanemaru & DOUKI

Taichi, TAKA Michinoku & Minoru Tanaka vs. Bad Luck Fale, Taiji Ishimori & El Phantasmo

Tiger Mask, YOH & Ryohei Oiwa vs. EVIL, Yujiro Takahashi & SHO

The event will kick off with a pre-show ceremony, and will also include a special ring announcer in Kero Tanaka.

Note there's no IWGP World Heavyweight Champion vs. IWGP Jr Heavyweight Champion you tend to get at the event, instead we get a big six man main event. Also Kota Ibushi returns from his terrible 2021.

New Japan Cup 2022 starts the next night. Brackets:

FMHBJ1_akAEcht9?format=png&name=small

Semi-Finals 26th March and the Final on the 27th of March.

Edited by The Natural
  • Thanks 1

The Budokan Card looks alright to me. I am looking forward to the O.B's or legends back in NJPW for 1 night.

Kota Ibushi still has body problems, so I wonder if they turn him into special attraction man. Or maybe not.

Lol good luck with that SANADA. 

If Ishii gets past Shingo he has a good chance at the semifinals at least but I don’t like his chances and I want to see Shingo/Hiromu anyway but Hiromu/ishii was a banger in the G1 and I’d like that too. Please just let EVIL go out quick.

• Like 2

I think Hiromu has a good shot at getting to the semis, maybe the only junior with any chance of getting that far and I think a Hiromu/Shingo match would have a bit of interest. Hiromu vs Ishii at the 2020 NJC was by far match of the tournament for me, so definitely would not mind a round 3. He also owes EVIL a receipt for last year in Nagoya :P. 

I'm guessing Okada/Cobb as one semi, Shingo/Hiromu as the other. That could be me just dream booking though. I'm okay with EVIL as a semi finalist if its the EVIL that we have seen in the latter half of the New Year Golden Series. 

Tenzan and Ibushi are out of the NJ Cup and the anniversary show. They'll be replaced by Kosei Fujita and Yuto Nakashima on the Anniversary show and forfeit their matches in the tournament.

Edited by Ace

11 hours ago, Ace said:

Tenzan and Ibushi are out of the NJ Cup and the anniversary show. They'll be replaced by Kosei Fujita and Yuto Nakashima on the Anniversary show and forfeit their matches in the tournament.

Here's the announcement:

Kota Ibushi's shit 2021 continues into 2022. Take your time coming back.

Okada said this

"We will continue to be strong style, carry a fighting spirit, and strive for true professional wrestling, so please continue to support us. "

So reconciliation with they were instead of running away from it like last decade.

• Like 1

If Suzuki is a dangerous murder grandpa, then Fujiwara is just pure frightening. I enjoyed all the legends on the anniversary show - Minoru Tanaka looks incredible and still moves like he did 20 years ago, get him in the BoSJ! 

No real surprises for special appearances, maybe the video from Sayama was a bit of a surprise as I thought he was on bad terms with New Japan. I think they got mostly everyone big (Fujinami, Muto, Chono, Maeda, Choshu...even Shoji Kai!), but as late 80s into early 00s is my favourite period of New Japan, part of me wanted to see more guys from that era like Otani, El Samurai, Sasaki (surely the bridge could be mended now), AKIRA, Iizuka etc (especially as some like Otani & AKIRA could have been slotted into matches). Still was a good fun show to watch.

Go out of your way to see Okada vs Desperado, I don't know where it sits on my matches of the year but its right up there. 

• Like 1

Okada/Despy is probably my NJ match of e year so far. Amazing stuff. I thought night 1 was pretty enjoyable all around except for the house of torture shit in Naitos match which sucks cause I love Naito. They need to change course or some with that stuff as a group house of torture is less than the sum of its parts, even Yujiro it actually feels like yujiro has taken a step down from being the fall guy for Fale to being tied to this shit so it’s so much worse for Sho and Evil and Togo (dude you’re one of the most fun guys to watch ever and this is what you decide to do?)