DVDVR Message Board

Impact Wrestling Spoilers for 2/24/22 - New Orleans, LA

*Digital Exclusive Match: Gisele Shaw def. Alisha Edwards

*Taped for Before the Impact: Ace Austin & Speedball Mike Bailey def. Jake Something & Trey Miguel (8:02) when Ace pinned Jake with a rollup

Impact Wrestling - Airing February 24, 2022 from New Orleans, LA

*Moose came to the ring for a promo and said he's the only man in pro wrestling that needs to be acknowledged. Heath interrupts and challenges Moose to a title match. Moose tells Heath that he doesn't care about his ugly ass kids, leading to Heath attacking Moose. Heath lays out Moose and holds up the Impact Worlds Championship.

*Matt Cardona(c) def. Jordynne Grace (13:19) via rollup while grabbing the ropes in a No DQ Match to retain the Digital Media Championship.

*Bhupinder Gujjar def. John Skyler (3:32) after the second rope spear. After the match, W. Morrissey comes out and attacks Brian Myers at ringside. Morrissey tries to put Myers through a table but Skyler stops him. Myers escapes, so Morrissey puts Skyler through the table. 

*Deonna Purrazzo(c) def. Lady Frost (5:48) via submission to retain the AAA championship. After the match, Gisele Shaw came out and got in Lady Frost's face.

*Jonah def. Zicky Dice (0:58) with a powerbomb. After the match, Jonah hit Zicky with the Tsunami splash.

*Honor No More (Matt Taven, Mike Bennett, & Kenny King) (w/ PCO, Vincent, & Maria Kanellis) def. Rich Swann, Chris Sabin, & Willie Mack (w/ Heath & Rhino) (9:52) when Bennett pinned Mack. After the match, Maria introduces Eddie Edwards. Scott D'Amore came out and made Team Impact leave to avoid a fight breaking out. Eddie talks about coming up with the ROH guys and said he felt betrayed when ROH closed but that's not why he joined them. They identified Dishonor and are going to expose it. Eddie said he had faith in what Impact was doing and talked about Kenny Omega disrespecting the Impact World Championship. Eddie said it was up to the locker room to do something because management did nothing. Eddie said that Rich, Sami, and Moose failed while he won a six man and expected a shot but Impact gave it to Josh Alexander instead. Eddie says that Impact showed they had no faith in him and that management ripped the heart out of Impact Wrestling. Alisha Edwards came down and said she didn't understand why Eddie turned his back on their family. Eddie said that Honor No More is his family now. Alisha asks if she is still his family. Eddie says that's up to her and leaves with Honor No More, leaving Alisha in the ring. 

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 1

I’m was browsing through Pluto and Before the Impact seems to air same day on a 30 minute delay. I tuned in just in time to watch the tag match and I enjoyed it. I’ve seen Miguel Austin and Something before it was my first look at Mike Bailey and I was impressed. I dig a good karate gimmick. 

Yeah Impact doesn’t air concurrently on Pluto like BTI evidently cuz Matt Sydal vs Penta is on the channel now and those guys don’t work for this company anymore.

@bobholly138 what was the attendance like? Wikipedia says the building holds 2400, did the place seem pretty full?

• Like 2

The end of this show was very long and drawn out but I DID WANT to see Kenny Omega versus Eddie Edwards for the title so HERE'S TO YOU, EDDIE EDWARDS!  FUCK THE JACKASSES AT IMPACT!  I forgot how good Matt Taven was and was reminded in the six man main event.  Mike Bennett brings some of the recharged energy he got from his impressive indie run.  I dug Deonna Purrazzo and Lady Frost.  Frost is fun.  Purrrrazzzzzzo is awesome.  Bhupinder Gujjar looks impressive as Jon Skyler guides him to another good little match.  Jonah crushing Zicky Dice reminds you that the WWE released a lot of really good wrestlers in the last 12 months.  Good work, IMPACT!  but yeah, go fuck yourself for not making Eddie Edwards vs Kenny Omega happen.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Web Conn said:

I’m was browsing through Pluto and Before the Impact seems to air same day on a 30 minute delay. I tuned in just in time to watch the tag match and I enjoyed it. I’ve seen Miguel Austin and Something before it was my first look at Mike Bailey and I was impressed. I dig a good karate gimmick. 

Yeah Impact doesn’t air concurrently on Pluto like BTI evidently cuz Matt Sydal vs Penta is on the channel now and those guys don’t work for this company anymore.

@bobholly138 what was the attendance like? Wikipedia says the building holds 2400, did the place seem pretty full?

Was told that Saturday for the No Surrender PPV there was around 500 people there. And Sunday for the Impact Tv tapings it was between 300 and 350.

Kaleb Konnely has been working a bunch lately for my local indie,BIW,and he told a few people that Impact was expecting a bigger turnout. But they people in charge of Impact didn't realize they booked both shows on the first weekend of Mardi Gras.

Also heard that Impact is planning on coming back to Westwego.

I do know that after they saw the attendence on Saturday entire rows of chairs were removed for Sunday. And they draped off bunches of the bleacher sections. 

For example the buddy that drove me to the show had bought 3rd row seats on the floor. There was no 3rd row,except on the two sides of the entrance ramp. He was told to go sit in any empty seat. So he spotted 4 seats front row that were empty. Him and the owner of BIW and his wife ,who had gotten bleacher seats,moved to the front row. They asked if I wanted the other seat. But I had great seats 2nd row by the ramp and didn't want to leave my father by himself over there.

• Thanks 1

Still shocked Impact didn't air the fan biting Cardona. As you can see in my footage of it they had their cameras right there filming.

Oh well just happy I had my camera on and caught that moment. Cause I have seen some wild things at shows. See a elderly lady attack a heel stable with her walker. Seen a very drunk redneck take out his false teeth and challenge a heel to a fight "Outside if ya aint a yella chicken". But I had until Sunday night never seen a fan bit a wrestler.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Ramo2653 said:

Another fine episode of Impact. Every time I see Bennett come out with his backwards cap, I think "is Chris Dickinson back from hip surgery?" Then I remember that nah that's Mike.

But Chris Dickinson is wrestling April 1st.  So he is almost back from hip surgery, which is good because he is aweome.

• Like 3

Good show. Wasn't sure at first about Heath suddenly becoming the title challenger, but I thought he came off really well in the segment with Moose, good stuff. Cardona/Jordynne "Dot Combat" was fun with some amusing weapon involvement.  Deonna rules, as does Gisele's theme music.  Enjoyed the main and post-match. I had forgotten that we never got Eddie/Omega, a match I also wanted to see and thought was a possibility before the move to Christian. I'll miss Eddie's face music and loved his face work but thought he did very good with the mic here in his promo. Loving the Mickie/Tasha feud continuing. Super quick turn around from No Surrender to Sacrifice already coming up but it's looking pretty loaded once again.

• Like 2

This week's episode was plainly why this company fails to draw live/tv numbers and interest.  Summed up quickly - this was relentlessly the 'bad drama class' Impact just won't let go of.  All the while mostly wasting their very capable roster.   

Heath/Moose: Outside of the most gifted talkers, duelling mic segments should just never happen.  Moose and Heath are both competent, but reasoning and logic completely escaped this one.  Moose promos should be short and sweet, not aimless braggadoccio.  Heath's interruption seemed just pointless.  What has Heath accomplished to get a title shot?  How obvious is it to everybody but Impact that Heath is a non-title TV challenger not a 'Pay' Per View challenger.  Who could possibly buy him as a potential threat?  Would it even be believable that Heath is the 10th ranked competitor to the title?  Did i miss something?  Has he beaten anybody?  

That utter nonsense is followed by more bad acting with yet another segment with the star of the show drawning no interest in the product (check the TV and charity live numbers again) - Scott D'Amore.  What if one of these guys did attack Edwards - what could possibly be the consquence?  And then back from the break and more from the 'promotional interest crippling' commissioner character.  

And then another Intergender match for who knows?  Yeah, people are just clamouring in 2022 to see some dude assault a woman.  What a complete waste of two quality talents. 

The Inspiration-Influence segments aren't exactly good, but Tenille and the Inspiration are all beautiful charismatic stars.  So too Tasha, Mickie and Chelsea.

I really don't get why Bailey/Austin-MIguel/Something is on the pre-game?  They seem to throw away a lot of their best or better matches on BTI.  I'd love to know the logic.  

We're now 32 minutes (minus commercials) in, and finally: no duelling mics, Bookerman D'Amore or intergender!  I love John Skyler.  Such an underrated smooth performer.  I don't know Buhpinder Gujjar, but he was led well by Skyler.  I dig Brian Myers too, but his commentary was completely pointless.  I'm all for Morrissey smashing dudes, but can it maybe be a little less contrived?  Does the Myers-Morrissey no DQ bout really require a follow-up?  I liked the closing stretch of that match, but nothing about it was asking for a follow-up.    

Purrazzo and Jonah are both saving graces for this company.  They both seem to avoid a lot of the hampering bullshit routinely on these broadcasts.  Purrazzo and Frost was very good.  Jonah is just fantastic!  Somehow Jonah even finds a way to make a backstage vignette worth watching.    

Good promos from Steve Maclin and Jay White/Bullet Club.  The latter of course needs a stupid interruption and lame attack.  Nobody does middling backstage attacks like Impact.  Looking forward to Maclin-Edwards, but how does this company see that as a lesser TV match and Edwards v hobbled vet Cookie Monster as a PPV sell?

Six man was good.  I'm always happy to see a clean decision, but it feels like another small (but add em up) oversight in this ROH invasion angle - what is the point of having all the extra ROH bodies on the outside?  Impact is trying to present these guys as villanous rogues and they can't even cheat to win?  Most of what I've seen from 'Honor No More' is a bunch of sadly unemployed talents doing what they can to earn contracts.  Is there a more inspirational babyface story in this company?  And then Edwards comes out and I can't help but think he's a hero for helping his friends earn paying jobs.  I expected this segment to be more embarrassing duel mic bullshit, but Edwards did a good job on the promo.  I love Alisha Edwards thick accent and potential mic work, however, this domestic drama is a further waste of time with no payoff.  Who could possibly care what Alisha is going to do next?  This show is already so overwrought with bad drama throughout.  

Lots of complaints, but Tom Hannifan and Matthew Rehwoldt are certainly not amongst them.  What a gem of an announce team!  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2