DVDVR Message Board

WrestleMania XXXVIII - 4/2 & 4/3/2022

Dolfan in NYC

The Saturday kickoff show will air live on USA Network

It is from 6 - 8 pm.

This has been confirmed via Cable TV listings. As of now - Sunday's kickoff show is not.

Moving Edge/AJ to Saturday makes no sense to me because unless they're announcing a bunch of stuff tonight, Sunday now has only 5 matches. And of those, only one of which is one that could go 20(+) minutes.  

Balor/Priest should be added soon enough, but he's in that weird semi-feud with Theory too?  

It seems they've forgotten Ricochet exists? 

And if Omos/Lashley happens, that won't be more than 5 minutes. 

12 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Moving Edge/AJ to Saturday makes no sense to me because unless they're announcing a bunch of stuff tonight, Sunday now has only 5 matches. And of those, only one of which is one that could go 20(+) minutes.  

Balor/Priest should be added soon enough, but he's in that weird semi-feud with Theory too?  

It seems they've forgotten Ricochet exists? 

And if Omos/Lashley happens, that won't be more than 5 minutes. 

For whatever it's worth, Smackdown tonight showed the Edge/AJ graphic as Sunday once again... not sure if that just wasn't updated or it's been moved back.

I assume "WrestleMania Smackdown" is now the preshow where everyone not on WM is, and they threw Balor/Priest in the Andre there, while Ricochet is against Humberto & Garza on it.

On 3/25/2022 at 10:40 PM, DreamBroken said:

I assume "WrestleMania Smackdown" is now the preshow where everyone not on WM is, and they threw Balor/Priest in the Andre there, while Ricochet is against Humberto & Garza on it.

No - "WrestleMania Smackdown" is this Friday's SDL show

battle.webp

I think he meant that in theory Smackdown is now the pre show (where they stick the matches that used to be the pre show matches). Andre / IC Title / whatever would have normally been on the pre show the day of Mania. But now they use the Smackdown show the night before Mania as a pre show in essence.

The Smackdown episodes before Mania (pre Fox) were generally like two or three matches taped early with live wrap arounds at the Mania location. Pretty much fluff shows. So I can see how Fox likes this better. Gotta keep the netowrks happy. Sucks for the boys tho. Working in front of 10,000 isn't the same as 60,000, even if you slap the Wrestlemania logo on your TV show logo.

Edited by NoFistsJustFlips
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I think he meant that in theory Smackdown is now the pre show (where they stick the matches that used to be the pre show matches). Andre / IC Title / whatever would have normally been on the pre show the day of Mania. But now they use the Smackdown show the night before Mania as a pre show in essence.

Well I guess it depends on what happens on the actual kickoff shows.

Like the Saturday one that is airing on USA - I can't imagine that the Network would be thrilled with just filler and not at least one match. Granted this USA who seems to bend over for the WWE for everything except RAW being 3 hours.

Right I was guessing off the way they did it the same last year... the Andre on SD and then no preshow matches either night of WM. I could only see maybe Balor/Priest added coming out of the Andre, so that each night will have 7 matches like last year, unless night 1 is gonna be 6 matches + Austin/Owens thing.

42 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Right I was guessing off the way they did it the same last year... the Andre on SD and then no preshow matches either night of WM. I could only see maybe Balor/Priest added coming out of the Andre, so that each night will have 7 matches like last year, unless night 1 is gonna be 6 matches + Austin/Owens thing.

On that last point - Meltzer was saying that on the last schedule he was told about, the KO/Austin thing was scheduled to close the Saturday show.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

On that last point - Meltzer was saying that on the last schedule he was told about, the KO/Austin thing was scheduled to close the Saturday show.

Right call. One of the biggest wrestling stars of all time in Steve Austin doing more physically since his last match vs. The Rock at WrestleMania XIX and his home state of Texas. I see the crowd booing both Charlotte Flair and Ronda Rousey. Neither are likeable. The Four Horsewomen Fatal Four Way particularly, Lynch vs. Rousey, Banks vs. Belair II were all better options.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

I think most of the matches have the potential to be good, but I can't really say any of them actually excite me. Even feuds I have enjoyed like Sami/Knoxville and Bianca/Becky don't leave me super excited. I do think Bianca/Becky & Charlotte/Ronda end up among the better matches for the shows.

29 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

All that's left to announce is Seth vs ???

Folks keep insisting that a women's battle royal is "on the schedule" but I really don't see how they could run one when I think they have like a total of 4 women not doing something