DVDVR Message Board

WrestleMania XXXVIII - 4/2 & 4/3/2022

Dolfan in NYC

3 hours ago, (BP) said:

Sami Zayn was my favorite performer from the pieces that I caught of both nights. I’m going to have to go through his heel run because I’ve seen almost none of it. KO and Reigns are great heels too, but Sami is on another level. Just high end Kaufmanesque dickheadery. 

Sami has been amazingly obnoxious as a heel. It is the best. He is one of the few people they apparently mostly say yes to when it comes to what he wants to do.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ziggy said:

The best match they had was the one Rollins cashed in at. I don't think they can duplicate that match. I would have liked to seen them have that type of match where it was just a slugfest. As much as I like Roman as heel some of his big matches either the finishes are over produced or end up flat like tonight 

It can't be replicated because at the time Reigns was an unknown quantity. The story the match worked was mostly underdog getting his ass beat. He's in over his head. But he has the heart to never quit. You can't work that story now that Reigns is the guy, and has been for awhile. It just wouldn't resonate. Not to mention extended heat on a heel doesn't garner sympathy like when Reigns was face. That match was a moment in time, and that moment is gone forever.

• Like 1

Night 2 also exceeded my expectations. I think I am learning i enjoy WWE way more if I skip all the tv and just watch the PPVs (not saying premium live vents, that's dumb). They must expect the majority of their viewers to do this because they insist on showing the long video packages for everything. It's like saying here's the recap of the movie you didn't see so you'll understand the sequel.

Omos being an undefeated monster for a whole year leading to giving an established main event guy the rub... was a choice. I would guess Lashley is next for Roman. But Omos is kind of dead in the water, yeah?

McAfee came off like a big deal. That entrance and song choice came off making him look like a star. And then the match was perfect for what they were looking for. The Vince match was fine and only there to put some heat on Vince leading to a Stunner. Perfect use of him. Much prefer this to setting up a McMahon vs McAfee match advertised ahead of time. Much more effective.

I enjoyed the Jackass match a ton. Just silly dumb fun. Inoffensive and well done. The finish not working correctly actually added to the charm of it for me. Wee Man was over and that slam was pretty fucking hilarious. Not everything has to be a technical epic. And matches like this make the technical epics stand out even more. Need some stylistic diversity.

AJ vs Edge was just not enjoyable. They told the story they were aiming to tell. I just don't think ti was the right story for this combination. You can tell the office was feeling the same as they cut away to show the lighting grid's lights flickering a bunch to try and tell the audiences 'noooo this isn't boring, look at what our lights can do'.

Main was exactly what I was expecting. Still think they will make this year's men's MITB for a new Raw Title instead of the briefcase. They don't want one champion. And I also don't think they want Roman to drop a fall to get one off of him like Becky did. I have a feeling he is penciled in to break Bruno's record. I know that sounds crazy. But it's not like an extremely long reign will hurt financials. They are set with that Saudi money. And it's less egregious if they have a second world title at the same time being defended and changing. We'll see. But Reigns over Rock next year for sure in my mind. He'll be at like 900 days by then. Only about 2,000 more days from there to hit that Bruno number lol.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Peck said:

Speaking of legit injuries, how the fuck did AJ come out already busted open?  Did he walk in to the set?  There's gotta be some footage somewhere of this.  

Meltzer said it was the set.

53 minutes ago, Peck said:

Speaking of legit injuries, how the fuck did AJ come out already busted open?  Did he walk in to the set?  There's gotta be some footage somewhere of this.  

Edited by HumanChessgame
  • Like 6

53 minutes ago, Peck said:

One of my friends while we were watching it suggested that "he burned himself flat-ironing his hair."

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, The Idiot King said:

One of my friends while we were watching it suggested that "he burned himself flat-ironing his hair."

Is that like when John Smoltz burned himself ironing a shirt he was still wearing? 

Zayn is very good - also a smart, pragmatic guy. Did a good interview on why he resigned w/ WWE - v. level headed. One of the few to correctly call that it’s all sports entertainment - both sides of the track. It’s all theatrical entertainment “wrestling”. The snobbishness that one form of theatrical scripted “wrestling” is somehow more ‘real’ than the other .. peculiar. Yes - quality & taste can vary .. but in essence it’s all the same art form. 

Edited by A_K
  • Like 4

Undertaker coming out made me sad. If he had retired after losing to Brock it might have meant something. Watching him standing there, it felt like the 4th or 5th time we've had to watch him "walk off into the sunset". People suddenly getting emotional over legit horrible human being HHH retiring, also weird. At least with HHH it felt like it had been awhile since I'd seen him come out and sort of do stuff. WWE asks a lot of their viewers sometimes. But people will always pop for the old guys live so I guess "it is what it is". It would make my life if one day Shawn shows up for some self congratulatory thing and the people just shit all over him. Probably hypocritical of me to love the Vince segment but hate on Taker and Shawn ever being on tv again but taste is such a peculiar thing...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, A_K said:

Zayn is very good - also a smart, pragmatic guy. Did a good interview on why he resigned w/ WWE - v. level headed. One of the few to correctly call that it’s all sports entertainment - both sides of the track. It’s all theatrical entertainment “wrestling”. The snobbishness that one form of theatrical scripted “wrestling” is somehow more ‘real’ than the other .. peculiar. Yes - quality & taste can vary .. but in essence it’s all the same art form. 

I think it's completely fair to differentiate between a product that prioritizes the bell-to-bell vs. a product that prioritizes everything else.

I think Sami is doing the best work of his career and is exactly where he should be. If I had his fucked-up shoulders I would lean in to being a poltically favored shitbird heel than an indie-flavored big bumping face. And I would absolutely tow the company line after getting my big raise.

Pragmatism's the word. Still lookin' at you, Cody.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1