DVDVR Message Board

WrestleMania XXXVIII - 4/2 & 4/3/2022

Dolfan in NYC

My favorite part was Mike Rome announcing 77,453 when the on-screen graphic said 78,453. They can't even decide which fabricated attendance number to go with.

"It's not a lie, if you believe it.." - George Costanza

Edited by Peck
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

I was surprised but I enjoyed both nights. Night two was by far the more enjoyable though. Sami Zayn is a Bret Hart level miracle worker with what he pullled off with Knoxville. Also the match was funny which is rare for WWE comedy.

I popped for Bobby Lashley slaying Omos. Lashley 

I wish they had one women's title match on each night because Becky/Bianca would have been perfect for night two.

McAfee was amazing. The thing with Vince was dumb, but it made up for it when Austin came out. Hoo boy Linda no longer has the worst stunner sell ever.

Speaking of Austin, God he looked good last night against Owens.

I was expecting Roman to win and he did so I wasn't too tore up about that.

I wonder what it would have been like if they put the 4 team women's match on Saturday and Becky/Bianca on Sunday. Especially in regards to how Charlotte/Ronda is perceived if it wasn't preceded by Becky/Bianca.

You know which athlete comes to mind to me when it comes to Bianca and her charisma? remember Tara Davis from the Olympics (or from her YouTube Vlog with her fiancee Hunter Woodhall)? At the risk of pitting two women 'against each other' just because but Bianca is sorta at a height that some people thought Bayley could reach as a face (until Bayley sorta hit a ceiling and needed a heel turn to get past that). I don't know when Bayley is gonna be back but how would Bayley/Bianca sound in the near future?

15 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I wonder what it would have been like if they put the 4 team women's match on Saturday and Becky/Bianca on Sunday. Especially in regards to how Charlotte/Ronda is perceived if it wasn't preceded by Becky/Bianca.

You know which athlete comes to mind to me when it comes to Bianca and her charisma? remember Tara Davis from the Olympics (or from her YouTube Vlog with her fiancee Hunter Woodhall)? At the risk of pitting two women 'against each other' just because but Bianca is sorta at a height that some people thought Bayley could reach as a face (until Bayley sorta hit a ceiling and needed a heel turn to get past that). I don't know when Bayley is gonna be back but how would Bayley/Bianca sound in the near future?

I want that match at Mania next year so that we can, eventually, get Bianca beating all of the Horsewomen at Mania over her career.

Let Bianca defend against Ripley, Morgan & a returning Asuka over the next 9-10 months.

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

Styles, Lashley, and Cody would make for fresh challengers. Could also move up Ciampa or even WALTER/GUNTHER. Anyone beating Reigns not name Bron Breaker seems like a perfectly dumb idea and waste.

Ciampa could definitely serve as a challenger.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Watched the ending of McAfee vs Theory and damn Michael Cole is amazing in this.  Almost like he had no clue of the finish 

2011 me would have NEVER said this but thank god for Cole on broadcast 

Cole without Vince in his ear...

• Like 5

I’m enjoying the recent WM niche of “celebrities that are more athletic than you think and prep hard for the match.” Bad Bunny, Logan Paul, of course Pat and Wee Man’s feat of strength were all great. Whoever it was earlier that said that WM should go full on HUSTLE is 100% right, and it’s trending in that direction. More Michael Cole encouraging his best friend NFL punter to beat an 80 year old’s ass, less AJ/Edge and Roman/Brock/Goldberg: Citizens on Patrol

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

wonder if they're gonna directly elevate the IC and US titles to be the Raw and Smackdown titles (compared to the Universal title, which is above Raw and Smackdown) or if they could get more TV content out of creating new titles that'll be in-between the IC/US titles and the World title.

It's the WWE, don't rule out the quick pivot from "unify the two World Titles" to "create two new titles"

sounds unlikely, based on past history

Edited by Cleavy

I found Edge vs AJ hideously boring and lifeless even though the actual work was technically excellent. Did anyone else feel they just didn't have good chemistry + the storyline going into the match was lame + wrong guy was heel, wrong guy was face + finish was weak coming off such long match?

• Like 6

7 hours ago, hammerva said:

Sasha Banks pinning Corey Graves girlfriend for the tag titles would have been a great cherry on top of the angle if ANYONE would have told us why Corey has hated Sasha since Day 1 to begin with

Pardon my ignorance, but why is this, exactly? Were they an item once upon a time?

4 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

Pardon my ignorance, but why is this, exactly? Were they an item once upon a time?

Not that we have any sense of. It started during the earliest days of Graves on commentary, when his orientation was more counter-crowd. Becky's inauthentic, Sasha betrays. It just kept going and going.

There were some stories to that match, but ... they really could have been told better. Zelina eliminating Sasha from the Rumble seemed like a natural starting point for it all, but they threw in a lot more.

• Like 1

Even though I fell asleep before Roman/Lesnar, I feel confident in saying that Lynch/Belair and Rhodes/Rollins were the best matches of Mania.  I enjoyed AJ/Edge, but man, that ending killed it for me.  It was just lame as hell and Priest is one of those guys who I still can't wrap my head around whether I like them or not.  The Knoxville/Zayn match was ridiculous is the best possible way and I enjoyed every second of it.

My buddy sent me this when the Knoxville match ended and it had me cracking up.

cBJBanj.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Sami Zayn was my favorite performer from the pieces that I caught of both nights. I’m going to have to go through his heel run because I’ve seen almost none of it. KO and Reigns are great heels too, but Sami is on another level. Just high end Kaufmanesque dickheadery. 

Also something positive: the Vince/MacAffee/Austin segment was my favorite non-wrestling segment in the history of WrestleMania, and by the end of it actually made me sort of like a person I usually can't stand (MacAffee). Vince was tremendous in this whole segment. The muscle shirt, the Dory Funk Jr in 1998 "offence", the mugging to the crowd he's clearly picked up from Hogan over their decades working together, the hilarious stunner he just couldn't fall out of the way of fast enough. Shame it didn't do Austin Theory any favors but I think he'll be fine.

Edited by Belgian_Waffle
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

Even though I fell asleep before Roman/Lesnar, I feel confident in saying that Lynch/Belair and Rhodes/Rollins were the best matches of Mania.  I enjoyed AJ/Edge, but man, that ending killed it for me.  It was just lame as hell and Priest is one of those guys who I still can't wrap my head around whether I like them or not.  The Knoxville/Zayn match was ridiculous is the best possible way and I enjoyed every second of it.

My buddy sent me this when the Knoxville match ended and it had me cracking up.

cBJBanj.jpg

I thought the build up to the feud was dope too and showed his range as a character. Most celebrity involvements especially non athlete type involvement seems so forced alot even when the celebrity is a genuine fan but it seemed like both Knoxville and Zayn did things on their own to make the feud seem so different than anything WWE produced. I wonder if it could get him gigs outside of WWE. I don't want him to turn into Miz where he's pigeonholed into working again celebrities every Mania though but atleast he'd be one of the higher paid guys on the card 

• Like 2