DVDVR Message Board

WrestleMania XXXVIII - 4/2 & 4/3/2022

Dolfan in NYC

I was sports entertained but Night 1 was better to me.. it just flowed better and had the better matches 

The opener triple threat tag with RK-Bro was really good.. 

Most of the matches were mostly there tonight. 

Jackass crew vs. Zayn was more fun than it had any right to be.

McMahon and McAfee was fun with Austin showing up. 

Reigns over Lesnar was fine 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

Settle down, Kayla Braxtonetico

"It turns out the 2022 adaption of the "winners lash the losers 10 times" 1984 Mid-South match took an unexpected turn once we got to the 'volunteering to take the belting' part of the angle"

• Haha 1

Nothing on night 2 was bad, but nothing except the goofy celebrity matches made much of an impression.

Please Jesus, let Reigns/Lesnar be finished for good, make Lesnar go away forever, and give all the belts to Cody.

Edited by EVA

Show peaked with Wee Man. 

I could not have loved Knoxville/Zayn more. There's something inherently likeable about Johnny Knoxville that just exudes from him constantly. Pontius truly seems more comfortable naked than he does with clothes on. That whole deal just made me giggle like a little girl. 

If WWE isn't going to present quality stories or in-ring action, they can at least keep doing silly shit like that or big, over the top celeb moments like McAfee's entrance. That ruled ass. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

This might be peak Dave. Tweet is getting ratio’d so bad it’s going viral outside of the wrestling bubble 

I mean ... that sounds pretty horrible to me. If WWE wants to be Kaiju Big Battel, they should commit to it. Would probably be more enjoyable.

• Like 2

I was expecting the New Day tag to be in-between McAfee and the Main Event until it wasn't. Considering what they did after McAfee/Theory, the placement makes sense.

The Lesnar/Heyman heat is sorta booked into a corner as to how does Lesnar get the blowoff on Heyman short of beating Reigns? I guess the big things left undone with Brock are either resolving that feud, or having a match where Brock loses and they shave his goofy ponytail off and Paul gets to wear the ponytail as a war trophy.

3-way tag was decent and had some fun moments.

Lashley/Omos was surprisingly decent and fun. Nice to see Lahsley so loved by the crowd.

Sami/Knoxville was the right kind of dumb. Was pleased seeing it go off as well as it did. Its the first celeb feud in a while I have actually enjoyed beginning to end.

Women's 4-way was the kind of messy you always expect from these matches but pretty decent overall. Happy to see Team BAD as champs. That finish they used at the end was neat.

Edge/AJ was generally good. Kind of like the idea of the Edge/Priest pairing. They give off similar vibes.

Sheamus/Holland vs. New Day was pretty much an Smackdown angle. It was amusing but didn't really feel liked it belonged here. That said, it was awesome seeing Kofi and Woods wear E's gear.

Pat/Theory was surprisingly good. The crowd loved pat and Pat knew how to play to them. Was shocked how fired up Cole was on commentary. That is legit the most excited I can recall him being. Who knew Pat was Cole's SCSA. It made everything better and was easily one of the best bits of announcing he has done in WWE. The post match with Vince ran a too long, but the payoff with Austin was fun. Pat was even drinking a beer on the ground post stunner. That man really did live his dreams out tonight.

Roman/Brock was probably their best match since the first. It wasn't good, but it was pretty much what it needed to be and enjoyable enough. So damn happy Roman won. Now just let this be their last match together. 

Curious now who challenges Roman firs between Cody and Lashley. If they go the Lashley route I hope the Hurt Business returns, and we get them vs Blood Lines.

• Like 3

I really don’t get why people are so offended by Dave’s take on the Jackass match. People are allowed to have their own preferences, and Dave has always been consistent in not liking that kind of stuff. Typically doesn’t rate Yano hijinks well either.

I think I would’ve liked it more if the main contraption spots actually worked, especially the finish.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, just drew said:

If WWE isn't going to present quality stories or in-ring action, they can at least keep doing silly shit like that or big, over the top celeb moments like McAfee's entrance. That ruled ass. 

This right here. I think I liked the overall show so much because other than AJ/Edge, this was an 8 hour Michael Bay movie that was very much intentionally written to be a Michael Bay movie. They got that right this year. Like I got a whole Criterion Collection of other stuff I love watching, but sometimes I love just a well done big ass explosions and shit action movie.

• Like 1

at least the two belts being identical makes it easy to get rid of one of them. On the other hand, wearing two identical belts would be sorta funny looking (even if I think it was just done on AEW but hopefully Roman doesn't fuck anybody while wearing the belt, even if it probably would be majestic looking sex)

I woke up after 10 lol. I have to work in the morning but I'll go back and watch some of the stuff I missed, I want to see AJ vs Edge and the Women's tag. Pat McAfee is so good, they could have convinced Adam Cole to resign and promised him vs McAfee at Mania this year. Theory was good but they had a backstory. 

With the shape and the reaction Austin got this weekend. No Way Rock watched this show not wanting to participate in a big way next year. 

Vince McMahon still took the stunner better than Linda McMahon lol. That stunner is how a 76 year old untrained wrestler is expected to take one lol. It could have looked way worse 

7 minutes ago, EVA said:

I really don’t get why people are so offended by Dave’s take on the Jackass match. People are allowed to have their own preferences, and Dave has always been consistent in not liking that kind of stuff. Typically doesn’t rate Yano hijinx well either.

I think I would’ve liked it more if the main contraption spots actually worked, especially the finish.

I think there are now people who just want to hate whatever Dave says now.

I mean, for all my issues with him in recent years, I don't think his disliking "dumb comedy/garbage matches" is something to flame him over.

• Like 1