DVDVR Message Board

WrestleMania XXXVIII - 4/2 & 4/3/2022

Dolfan in NYC

I used MENTAL COGNITION to watch the Rhodes/Rollins match (a mental cognition with lots and lots of anti-vaping ads) and that was really good.  My only criticism is that Seth Rollins should have been more pissed off.  Cody Rhodes strolls up after being gone for 6 years while Rollins has been holding down the fort.  This should have been a prodigal son match, and Seth Rollins should have been the son that stayed behind and ran the farm while Cody had the life of riotous living.  He doesn't punch Cody in the face until 20 minutes in.  Compare this to Dax Harwood and Jay Briscoe and how Dax got over his disdain for Jay by spitting in his face and flipping him off when he was bleeding and tied up in the ropes.  Seth Rollins should have made it a brawl from the beginning instead of just saying  things.  This was good, it just didn't have the level of sheer hatred that would been there if like Dusty Rhodes was involved.  But it was good.  

• Like 6

@John from Cincinnati

Well I don't think we're seeing a Tiger Driver '98. Yes agreed, crowd will turn on him soon enough.

Pairing him with Roman sounds nice, until Reigns bodies him in a promo. Then it's One and Done and to the midcard with ya.

If anything, I'd pretty much redo The Authority with Cody as the chosen WWE guy and turn Roman babyface.

Edited by RunningFromAmerica

Oh yeah, Cody should probably be ready for plenty more "Welcome back to the big league, bitch!" 

Speaking of which, does Rollins feel such statements are "tacky" and "low-brow" like it is when others make them? Or is he merely making an affirming statement about his workplace? ? 

Edited by John from Cincinnati

Oh man,  Becky Lynch vs Bianca Bel Air was fucking awesome.  Becky Lynch was the best Ric Flair and Bel Air was a Waaaay Better Sting.  So fucking good.

• Like 11

45 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Not a Ronda fan, but it did seem weird for people to go with this as she is a big wrestling fan and someone like Austin is the exact type she isn't going to be bothered by not main eventing over. Its also not like her matches were main eventing every ppv before. Aside from Wrestlemania I think the only WWE main event she had was Evolution.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Re: Owens:

I've never seen a big guy make a broken down old guy look so believably strong. Amazing performance out of him.

Austin looked good for such a physically decimated guy.  He must be doing DDP yoga.  That match was Owens being 1989 Terry Funk and Austin being 1999 Masa Chono.  That was great.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

Oh man,  Becky Lynch vs Bianca Bel Air was fucking awesome.  Becky Lynch was the best Ric Flair and Bel Air was a Waaaay Better Sting.  So fucking good.

This was my favorite match of night one, not on NXT.

• Like 1

Night two match order I've seen being attributed to Fightful:

Spoiler
  • Raw tag titles
  • Lashley vs Omos
  • Knoxville vs Zayn
  • Women's tag titles
  • Styles vs Edge
  • McAfee vs Theory
  • New Day vs Sheamus/Holland, for real this time
  • Lesnar vs Reigns

Edited by John from Cincinnati

I enjoyed Rollins vs Rhodes , unless you really can't get into them spamming their finishers and other spots it's really good. There was even a bear hug but it only lasted a few seconds. 

Charlotte vs Ronda wasn't good, they don't click at all. It made me think it was a good thing they did add Becky to their match a few years ago because Becky was over enough that people were actively rooting for her and she made the match atleasr watchable. Based on Charlotte tapping last night,  it's not over between those two. Ronda has match better chemistry with Sasha or Becky.

• Like 1

Apparently Rick Boogs injury is a "a torn quadriceps to patella tendon" (in Boogs Instagram post he said the tendon ripped right off the bone)

He will be having surgery this week

• Sad 1

Just watching night 1. Was due to go to work but day care called me to come pick up daughter. Great timing, day off and get to watch Night 2.

She's been completely not interested in this show until Kevin Owens threatened to pour a beer on SCSA, and she's sat up on the couch next to me, looked me dead in the eye and goes "if you ever pour a beer on me, it's bum kicking time" before going back to building her cardboard box boat without waiting to hear my reply.

Feeling somewhat intimidated.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

16 hours ago, The Natural said:

New Day vs. Sheamus/Ridge Holland moved to WWE WrestleMania XXXVIII Night Two.

if New Day vs Sheamus/Ridge gets bumped off of night 2 too, then if they wanted to do a "Kofi snaps" storyline for some reason, they could combine the Rumble slipup, the Big E injury, and getting bumped off of Wrestlemania to have Kofi be angry/frustrated until something resolves that situation. Not an actual turn on Xavier either.

Sorta like if you have had a pileup of bad news and the next bit causes you to think about becoming Michael Douglas from Falling Down.

Of course they'll probably find a way to fit the match into tonight and it's probably a bad idea to have Dark Side Kofi.

At a guess, Cody is the first challenger for Roman after Mania, doesn't win, doesn't get completely steamrolled, then ends up in a never ending quasi-shooty feud with Edge through to Summerslam. Rollins gets his win back by the end of the year, and by about the Rumble, no-one buys him as a credible contender. By Mania, you probably have him in the Stardust outfit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2