DVDVR Message Board

WrestleMania XXXVIII - 4/2 & 4/3/2022

Dolfan in NYC

I am 100% happy for Cody, any man that makes the right decision money wise for his family is a good man.

But part of me can’t get over the fact that this is all about Cody’s ego and him going back to the ex-lover whos name he dragged through the mud for 6 years is still hard to believe. 

That said his entrance and match performance was great but then he cuts the same old long winded promo as above^.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

This meant something as the End of Days is such a protected finisher.

I knew once it was brought to their attention a few months ago when Corbin tweeted about it that it wouldn't be long before it happened. With the level of that feud and it being Wrestlemania I just it makes sense but it wasn't like a main event level program. It was a decent match, I'm a big fan of Drew and Corbin say what you will he can be lead to good matches.

• Like 1

I'll give Cody this - the music, the way he wrestles, the robe, all of that stuff definitely fits in better with WWE's presentation than it does AEW. It's still weird that he's back with WWE given how much shit he talked about them and founding AEW, but Vince probably loved all of that because he's a weird old man. I find it really funny that they let him use that song too, given that it's basically a big fuck you to WWE with shitty lyrics. But whatever, get paid man, good for him. Oh and I guess the match was good too, I'll need to rewatch it since I was at work watching, but I was burned out by the time Cody made his entrance (I stupidly chose to tune in right when the preshow started, thinking they'd actually have some matches - silly me). But anyway, while we're at it - can they poach Chris Jericho and MJF too so I can finally fully enjoy an AEW show? That'd be swell.

I remember liking Becky/Bianca. Absolutely did not care about much else on the show, but I was surprisingly impressed by Logan Paul. I'll add Becky/Bianca, Rollins/Cody and Charlotte/Ronda to my watch list for the coming week, along with a shitload of indie matches from this weekend.

Not sure I needed Stone Cold to wrestle a "match", if you want to call it that, but whatever. Gotta sell those tickets, I guess. That said - probably a pretty cool thing for an Austin fan like KO to be his first match since 2003, and in the main event. Good for him!

• Like 1

Is Bianca the best Performance Center product ever, when you consider the total package? She’s an elite performer now. Maybe Charlotte (I don’t count Becky/Sasha/Bayley as they were on the Indy’s before), but Bianca connects with the audience more. 

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 1

The idea that Cody is the best wrestler in the world is pretty laughable when he's not even the best wrestler in his family.

Very glad for KO. You have to wonder if this was one of the carrots they dangled before him during negotiations.

• Like 3

Do we know how long Cody's contract is? 

Re: Talking shit in AEW.

Alot of it was aimed at NXT & Triple H so I could see Vince agreeing with it given he's killed the "Black & Gold".

He also has a thing for people fighting him yeah? Haven't there been stories of people getting in actual fights with him & then getting pushed because Vince liked the cut of their gib or something?

Cody's only 36.

I can see him getting pushed pretty hard for a couple of years, having a solid run in the upper mid card for a few more, then heading back to AEW to win the title there before he retires.

Belair/Lynch, Rollins/Rhodes and Austin/Owens was one of the best three match stretches in recent Mania memory.  Flair/Rousey was just there for me, but it wasn't bad.  

I'm not as down on Rhodes as a lot of people here, so for me, seeing him show up at mania gave me a WCW/WWF feel during the Monday Night Wars when you had a really big debut.  Surreal moment and definitely awesome.

WWE is going to capitalize on the neck tattoo too, as it's the graphic that showed up when he walked out and i can definitely see it plastered all over every piece of Cody merch.

Edited by StuntmanCrowley
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, peterien said:

I am 100% happy for Cody, any man that makes the right decision money wise for his family is a good man.

But part of me can’t get over the fact that this is all about Cody’s ego and him going back to the ex-lover whos name he dragged through the mud for 6 years is still hard to believe. 

That said his entrance and match performance was great but then he cuts the same old long winded promo as above^.

I see he's producing AE documentary on Dusty. Sure signed for more money than he would have ever dreamed of being offered 6 years ago but he alot more incentives and provisions in his contract that is beneficial to him. He in the company when CM Punk resigned after MiTB and they dropped the ball. Cody is too smart not to sign without enough leverage that even if he isn't booked strong enough he'll still have things going on for him outside of WWE that he won't be hurt. Like people said you don't leave an EVP position in a legit competition just to for money. It remains to be seen as to how strongly he'll be booked especially as the year goes on. His Father is Dusty Rhodes, I guarantee that even if they try to Polka Dot Dusty him intentionally he won't be left with nothing in the end

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

I'm not as down on Rhodes as a lot of people here, so for me, seeing him show up at mania gave me a WCW/WWF feel during the Monday Night Wars when you had a really big debut.  Surreal moment and definitely awesome.

WWE is going to capitalize on the neck tattoo too, as it's the graphic that showed up when he walked out and i can definitely see it plastered all over every piece of Cody merch.

unisex-staple-t-shirt-black-front-624917

121A8B407F_800x800_crop_center.jpg?v=164

unisex-staple-t-shirt-black-front-624916

• Like 3

WWE signed a guy who made his name elsewhere, didn't try to change or diminish anything about him and he felt like a big star as a result. There's a lesson Vince and Pritchard could take from this that I doubt they will.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ThatTCGuy said:

WWE signed a guy who made his name elsewhere, didn't try to change or diminish anything about him and he felt like a big star as a result. There's a lesson Vince and Pritchard could take from this that I doubt they will.

That’s a super small list for sure. AJ, Jericho, Rey Mysterio and going back further Randy Savage, Ric Flair. 

I’ll give them bonus points for actually rehabilitating Rey’s presentation after the end of WCW stuff. Maybe take away a point or two as a few months after debut Jericho was working Road Dogg and AJ lost clean to Jericho. They figured both out though.

• Like 1

The first half of the show felt like it could have been any event, but once Bianca Belair/Becky Lynch started and onward it was a hell of a show. Not that the matches before that were bad, they were just standard WWE fare. I thought Belair/Lynch and Seth/Cody were both ****+ matches, Charlotte/Rousey was a clusterfuck but still felt like a big deal anyway, and of course the Austin match was fun. Still, so many recaps and filler, that's the worst part about WWE's events and it makes them hard to watch live. At one point it felt like there was 15 minutes of filler to the point I couldn't even remember what the prior match was, just excessive. 100 minutes of in-ring action on a four hour event isn't my ideal ratio. And they had to cut a match.

• Like 3

Great promo package for Austin / Owens: some v nostalgic footage in there for Austin. Austin generally looking in incredible shape for someone away for 19 (??!!) years. That number is just nuts - where did the time go.