DVDVR Message Board

WrestleMania XXXVIII - 4/2 & 4/3/2022

Dolfan in NYC

Really appreciate Charlotte’s dedication to her craft. Not many wrestlers would look at the shittiest move they do and decide, you know what, I’m going to add an even higher level of difficulty to it, so it looks EXTRA shitty.

• Haha 3

It's possible I forgot something but did Austin/Owens have a single nearfall before the finish aside from the Owens Stunner?

It seems like any 2022 match with so few nearfalls is sorta working against the norm set by a bunch of other matches and would have the potential to really stick out.

Now, I don't know how a match between 2022 regulars with no nearfalls or just one nearfall would go over because they could just work a complete spotfest that would be amazing the first time or two but would get just as old as nearfall-fests if done too much.

But if a bunch of people do it one way, and you do it another way and the match is good, it'll stick out in a good way.

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Show of hands, how many here knew that End of Days was protected? 

Well, I didn't NOT know it. I knew no one kicked out it in NXT and I didn't recall anyone kicking out of it in WWE, although I would have assumed that Roman would have, at some point prior to this.

• Like 1

Only really watched Austin/Owens, and I’m glad I did. In an era where many main events are micromanaged and look way too polished and choreographed, that match had enough grittiness and (controlled, of course) chaos to serve as one last swan song both for Austin’s career and the Attitude Era he flourished in.

What’s more; the fact that Kevin Owens worked his ass off carrying this feud by himself for a month and got rewarded by being his idol’s last opponent, and got to do a motherfucking STUNNER to him just goes to show how much trust that place has in him.

I have never tried to hide my feelings on WWE as a company, but I’m not above pointing out when they do good things, and this was a case of them underpromising (we thought Austin was gonna merk KO and that would be that) and overdelivering (a fucking MATCH), and good for them.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Show of hands, how many here knew that End of Days was protected? 

I was aware of it. The most protected move in wrestling finally busted.

Unlike Cross Rhodes, which was busted night one back.

Becky/Bianca was great, easy MotN, a little sloppy at times, but in a good way for the most part. Charlotte/Rousey felt sloppy and awkward throughout, which, Rousey's only been back for a little bit and is still really green.

Logan Paul could be really good at this wrestling thing if he ever wanted to do it more than once a year. Just wildly charismatic and pretty decent for a first showing. The Three Amigos/Frog Splash section was fantastic.

Kevin Owens is a goddamned treasure, bumping like a maniac for Austin and making this a real main event worthy moment. Austin looked damn good for being out of the game nearly 20 years. A worthy sendoff for the Rattlesnake.

Cody Rhodes's entrance was a starmaker, but then the bell rang and it's Cody Rhodes and Seth Rollins working WWE main event style and... it was fine. I don't care for it, but it was fine.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

WWE has to get it right with Cody Rhodes as he's the first AEW wrestler to jump to WWE, the money paid for him and bigger still AEW wrestlers looking on as prospective signings.

Agreed, and I have zero faith that they won't fuck it up

• Like 3

For the 3rd year in a row the Night 1 show was good bordering on great.  Now they just need a good 2nd night besides just the main.  

I really can't tell if Rousey has a bunch of new moves tonight or is just so sloppy it makes it look interesting 

2 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

You’ve been gone for almost six years. Do you feel as though you’re a completely different performer than when you left? 

I told Vince McMahon, Bruce Prichard and Nick Khan — this very small circle of individuals — I told them what I truly believe and it’s that I’m the best wrestler in the world. And to go further with it, I actually don’t think there’s a close second. But with that said, the opportunity now exists to prove it, and that’s what I’m most excited about.

?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Feel for New Day, Sheamus and Ridge Holland getting cut. Speaking of feeling for someone, Rick Boogs injury which is getting reported as a torn quadriceps muscle. Get well soon.

New Day vs. Sheamus/Ridge Holland moved to WWE WrestleMania XXXVIII Night Two.

This show was good and I was pondering why, given what unwatchable dreck their TV shows have been leading up to this, and I'm thinking it's because I haven't been watching those shows.

Instead of weeks and months of terrible scripted promos, nonsensical BS angles, and the same people wrestling each other seventeen times on the "Road to Wrestlemania", I just dropped in to watch the wrestlers wrestle matches and it turns out WWE's roster is by and large pretty good at that.

• Like 9