DVDVR Message Board

WrestleMania XXXVIII - 4/2 & 4/3/2022

Dolfan in NYC

Two nights!  Jerry World!  Oh god help us all!  

The Card!   (Updated as announced)

WrestleMania Smackdown (Friday)

TRIPLE THREAT MATCH FOR THE INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP - Ricochet (c) vs. Hector Garza vs. Humberto Carrillo

Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royale

WrestleMania Saturday

FOR THE SMACKDOWN WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Charlotte Flair (c) vs. Ronda Rousey

FOR THE RAW WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Big Time Becky Lynch (c) vs. Bianca Belair

FOR THE SMACKDOWN TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - The Usos (c) vs. Rick Boogs / Shinsuke Nakamura

Seth Rollins vs. TBD ? *

Rey & Dominick Mysterio vs. The Miz / Logan Paul

Drew McIntyre vs. Happy Corbin 

The New Day (Woods / Kingston) vs. Sheamus / Ridge Holland 

The KO Show - with Special Guest Stone Cold Steve Austin

WrestleMania Sunday

UNIFICATION MATCH - WWE Champion Brock Lesnar vs. WWE Universal Champion Roman Reigns

FATAL 4 WAY MATCH FOR THE WOMEN'S TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - Her Royal Highness, Zelina, of House Black, First of her Name / Carmella (c) vs. Naomi / Sasha Banks vs. Rhea Ripley / Liv Morgan vs. Natalya / Shayna Baszler

TRIPLE THREAT MATCH FOR THE RAW TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - RK-Bro (c) vs. Street Profits vs. Alpha Academy

ANYTHING GOES MATCH - Sami Zayn vs. Johnny Knoxville

Austin Theory vs. Pat McAfee

Edge vs. AJ Styles

Omos vs. Bobby Lashley

--

* - Reported to be for a Undisputed Universal Championship match at Backlash

Out of the three announced matches, only one I'm interested in is Becky Lynch vs. Bianca Belair.

Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns is overdone as is the Suplex City shit. The only great Lesnar/Reigns match was at WrestleMania XXXI, that's it. Bored of Charlotte Flair and don't want Ronda Rousey either. I had hoped Sasha Banks would be in a title match for the WWE RAW Women's Championship or WWE Smackdown Live Women's Championship built on the fact she's never won at WrestleMania.

It'll be something if Steve Austin does come back and has his first match in 19 years. I'd be surprised if it happens with Austin turning previous attempts to.

Edited by The Natural

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

@The NaturalRonda vs. Charlotte does not scream M.E. of Day 1 to me.   Charlotte/Ronda/Lynch competed at WM35 and the place was pretty dead by then... 

@Niners Fan in CT: Doesn't to me either and I can see the crowd crapping on it with the two involved. WrestleMania XXXV should have been Becky Lynch vs. Ronda Rousey and I'd say this year too. Allegedly it's saved for next year's WrestleMania but WWE don't do long term planning.

Nothing is really grabbing my interests right now. Roman/Brock is just a match I feel they never should have done again regardless of the face/heel dynamic being switched. Hopefully they pleasantly surprise people with something good, but I was really hoping this feud would be dead by now so Roman would have a differently challenger for Wrestlemania. The double title situation leaves me even less interested since I prefer not unified belts when the roster is split like it is currently.

Becky/Bianca should be good, but its also been done twice already so I'm not super excited. I think they should have given this to Rhea.

Charlotte/Ronda had a great match the first time around, but the time where it had WrestleMania main event potential has long since died. The fact that its only gong to lead to a Ronda title win and Ronda reigning for year makes me even less interested.

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

@The NaturalRonda vs. Charlotte does not scream M.E. of Day 1 to me.   Charlotte/Ronda/Lynch competed at WM35 and the place was pretty dead by then... 

Eh, it was a 6-7 hour show. I wouldn't really put that on them.

Edited by Eivion

Why does everyone keep talking about unified titles? They literally just did this a couple years back. Becky won both belts. She kept both belts and defended both belts. I'm certain that's the same deal here. I'd love for them to unify titles but it's just winner takes all and then someone will MITB their way into the second title off of whoever wins at Mania.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Why does everyone keep talking about unified titles? They literally just did this a couple years back. Becky won both belts. She kept both belts and defended both belts. I'm certain that's the same deal here. I'd love for them to unify titles but it's just winner takes all and then someone will MITB their way into the second title off of whoever wins at Mania.

I think they're not sure themselves what's gonna happen.  They're being super weird about the wording for the title match, right now it's "Champion vs Champion" which implies that this is a Non-Title, which it's clearly not.

So, they may change it to Title For Title or Winner Take All, which is what they did in '19 with the Ladies 3 Way.  Or Unification which means Roman is going for Sammartino's record.  

Or, who knows, they may just do something else entirely.  ?‍♂️

Maybe they do some bullshit where Cody runs in during their contract signing and puts his name on it so it has to be a three way. Then he can pin one of them for only one of the belts or eat the pin and protect both of them. 

12 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I think they're not sure themselves what's gonna happen.  They're being super weird about the wording for the title match, right now it's "Champion vs Champion" which implies that this is a Non-Title, which it's clearly not.

So, they may change it to Title For Title or Winner Take All, which is what they did in '19 with the Ladies 3 Way.  Or Unification which means Roman is going for Sammartino's record.  

Or, who knows, they may just do something else entirely.  ?‍♂️

WWE has confirmed its winner takes all... for now

Since we all know they could change their mind and pretend they never said anything

To me the money is in Reigns winning and actually keeping and defending both titles regularly. Fuck it. He's at 500 whatever days. Give him both belts. Put him on both shows. Let him wrestling twice on PPVs. Do it for a full year. Have him drop The WWE Title to The Rock at WM39. But he keeps the universal title that way. Might as well let the guy break Bruno's record. You really want that super big deal main eventer ace? You make Reigns the man for 6 years straight. And you make sure you have the right guy built up and beat him Warrior / Honky Tonk Man style. Definitely can't be someone already on the roster. Would have to be someone new, not just Seth with a new theme and nickname.

They're not gonna let anyone but Brock, The Rock, & Reigns make it to that tippy top level. Might as well just keep the title on him since even if he's not champ, he's always going to be the A story.

24 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

To me the money is in Reigns winning and actually keeping and defending both titles regularly. Fuck it. He's at 500 whatever days. Give him both belts. Put him on both shows. Let him wrestling twice on PPVs. Do it for a full year. Have him drop The WWE Title to The Rock at WM39. But he keeps the universal title that way. Might as well let the guy break Bruno's record. You really want that super big deal main eventer ace? You make Reigns the man for 6 years straight. And you make sure you have the right guy built up and beat him Warrior / Honky Tonk Man style. Definitely can't be someone already on the roster. Would have to be someone new, not just Seth with a new theme and nickname.

They're not gonna let anyone but Brock, The Rock, & Reigns make it to that tippy top level. Might as well just keep the title on him since even if he's not champ, he's always going to be the A story.

You are right. if they have Brock win it now what's the point? We know brock is a monster.  But as you mentioned who else is there to beat Roman? The Rock is the only logical choice but again, why build  a guy up for 500+ days to lose it to a part timer that doesn't need the rub??   Do you shock the world and go with Cesaro? The guy hasn't had a meaningful match in ages.  Do you go with WALTER? Probably not going to happen considering the name change.  There is really nobody on the current roster left.  I also don't see them having Cody as the guy to break the 500 day long reign.  This to me is the problem with making unstoppable monsters. Eventually there needs to be someone believable to beat them or people just stop caring. 

The 500 day reign doesnt end in my scenario. The Rock takes only the WWE title at next year's mania. Kind of a halfway point of filling that heat balloon and giving the crowd some catharsis. But Reigns would keep the universal title in that scenario and keep it until he breaks Bruno's record.

Cesaro is toast. He's too old to be crowned the man. He's like 41 or 42. Certainly not too old to be valuable. But they crowned Cena in his 20s. They crowned Reigns in his 20s. They crowned The Rock in his 20s. They crowned Brock in his 20s. They tried to crown Orton in his 20s. They crowned Hogan in his 20s. Austin was in his 30s but he was never meant to be crowned, he just forced it. But the point is when they make a guy THE GUY age is super important. They want a guy in his 20s to get 20 years out of him as a draw. Chances are whoever they deem to be the man after Reigns (well Reigns will still be the man for 15 more years, more like a Batista to Reign's Cena), it's going to be someone young. Most likely someone not even under contract yet.

It's def not gonna be Cody, Cesaro, or Walter. It's not gonna be anyone they already have (except mayyyybe Bron from NXT).

Well, they're high on Austin Theory. Who is only 24.

Riddle and Waller are in their 30's and both probably could end up being big deals later. 

Good call on Theory. He is young enough that he's certainly in the running. Especially with how they've treated him pretty well since the call up. Lots of important screen time. Riddle will definitely 100% get multiple world title runs over the next 10 years. But I don't think they will ever pull the trigger on him being a bigger deal. He will be at that Owens / Rollins / AJ level of consistent main eventer that gets runs, but never that larger than life ace of the company push.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2022 at 10:57 AM, Niners Fan in CT said:

Can't make Ronda vs Charlotte as Main Event given how incredibly unpopular both of them are.   that crowd won't give 2 shits who wins then 

• Like 1