DVDVR Message Board

R-Evolution III - 3/6/2022

Only comment I have on the main event - I wish more guys built the end of their matches around avoiding/countering finishing moves, rather than kicking out of them.

Page ate everything Cole had and still kicked out. How do I ever believe that Cole can beat Page? Because he didn't take his kneepad down? I much prefer Page's style of killing people with the Buckshot or just never hitting it.

Protect your finish & it'll mean so much more.

Bryan & Mox as a team is gonna be an interesting journey. Id love it if they actually started on something of a losing streak as long term tag teams show them up. They can bring the violence, and maybe that's enough against some teams, but FTR, PnP, JE, Bucks, RD etc should be outworking them with tag tactics and picking up the win.

I assume their first big match will be taking out 2.0 and bringing Garcia into the fold.

Edited by L_W_P
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I wouldn't bet on it. I like "This Fire Burns", but my guess is that it would bring up memories of his WWE run, which he might want to forget. 

While true, so much of his presentation when he came in was meant to replicate his presentation from his peak WWE stardom. From the theme, to the lighting and colour on his entrance and graphics, to the white ringer shirt, staying with the slicked back hair, making sure there wasn't too much grey facial hair on night one, etc. Obviously we're now well past needing to hold on to most of that, but there was something to be gained from wholesale lifting huge chunks of the package from the time of his greatest success. 

This whole discussion makes me wonder if people were weird like this when he showed up on WWE TV with his ROH champ theme song. 

17 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

I wonder if Punk will ever have occasion to dust off the Killswitch Engage song he used for the first half of his WWE run. Not sure if there's any wrestler with a better history of entrance themes.

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I wouldn't bet on it. I like "This Fire Burns", but my guess is that it would bring up memories of his WWE run, which he might want to forget. 

I am fairly sure that was a song licensed and created specifically for WWE. WWE own the song not KSE. I was pretty big into them at the time and the only place it was ever released was that WWE Wrecked Intent CD. Similar to how Line In The Sand by Motorhead is a WWE song and not a Motorhead song.

watched Revolution over the last 3 days. (Buy In on Sunday, first half of PPV last night, and 2nd half today). This was definitely the way to watch it. I would have been dog tired Sunday night trying to watch it live (and I'm in Central time!) Awesome show.

re: Punk's entrance. i didn't follow ROH at the time, and have only seen bits and pieces of it to this day (it's on my list!). I didn't recognize the music, but seeing him come out in his basketball shorts put the pieces together for me. Cool moment and great match too.

slight letdown not seeing Rosa win the title from Britt, but i half expected it after this week's Dynamite. But they kept her strong and definitely set up a rematch (steel cage?) so my enthusiasm continues.

biggest mark out moments for me (no particular order):
Erick Redbeard/Brody King facing off right away in their match. That has to be the literal definition of "meaty men slapping meat", right?
William Regal (does WWE not own that name? i would have expected Steven Regal)
Jade's Mortal Kombat outfit. Not even in a "settle down" way, but that too.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I am fairly sure that was a song licensed and created specifically for WWE. WWE own the song not KSE. I was pretty big into them at the time and the only place it was ever released was that WWE Wrecked Intent CD. Similar to how Line In The Sand by Motorhead is a WWE song and not a Motorhead song.

The special edition of KSE's As Daylight Dies album also has "This Fire Burns" on it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Isn’t William his middle name? Work name  Steven William Regal, shoot name Darren William Matthews?

28 minutes ago, twiztor said:

William Regal (does WWE not own that name? i would have expected Steven Regal)

15 minutes ago, AxB said:

Isn’t William his middle name? Work name  Steven William Regal, shoot name Darren William Matthews?

Regal was granted the trademark on 2/9, but WWE also has a live trademark for the name. Both are listed on USPTO.gov. it may be in a different class or something

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hagan said:

It's like...if the AEW style isn't for you, or TK annoys you, or you find Meltzer's praise for it oft-putting,  or you have hang ups about size, or you think the Elite are assholes or whatever, I'm not gonna waste breath arguing over it. People can like what they like.* But I will say I find it very, very sad that people are missing out on the most exciting time and best quality  in an American wrestling company in decades. 

I pretty much have all of those negative opinions, however I agree with your overall point of this being the best quality US wrestling in decades and exciting to watch. I've watched more AEW since the start than WWE in the 20 years since Vince killed off ECW and WCW.

I'm very bad with remembering entrance music. I usually recognize the company but not the wrestler. Of course when there are lyrics about the wrestler I might be able to recognize it after a bit. I didn't realize that Punk ever stopped wearing the BBall shorts. My memory is getting bad and everything kind of blends together. All of you will be the same when you get old.

9 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Feels like this is the part of MJF’s arc where the character would normally enter the DDP bingo winnings-esk fall from grace period, but I’d rather just skip that whole chapter and keep him on top. Have him screw Wardlow out of his title shot in two weeks by contractual means and then he wins the TNT title from Sammy (in SA…oh man, the heat). Maybe by debuting a new monster bodyguard (Brian Cage?) that would then give Wardlow something to sink his teeth into for his first babyface fued. 

Still have him learn something from the loss, because that’s important, but in this case the thing the character learned was “I had a shitty bodyguard this whole time.” Because he’s a heel.

Junior Dos Santos if he's interested in sticking around

4 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Save for Hogan's first WCW theme his stuff is pretty epic dating back to his AWA run

Absolutely. Voodoo chile was incredible.  Loved Real American.  Dug that short lived hulk theme from the wrestling album.  And Eye of the tiger is arena rock glory and worth stealing for somebody else - seeing as it’s erased on wwe remasters.  Was the Survivor tune his AWA theme too?  And what was he rocking on down to the ring in Japan?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

On a rewatch, Wardlow really came off like a huge star.  He looked incredible in his match and his involvement in Punk / MJF.

Wardlow is an absolute monster - like a modern day Bautista. And I have said it before, booking him as solid as anyone in the company. The young stars in AEW (Jungle Boy, Darby, MJF) have truly been booked to be the future which given WWE's tried and true of bringing people in, having them lose alot to see how they will react then bringing them back up feels refreshing.

Growing up in JCP country, they figured out they had something special in Flair and then Steamboat, and booked them strong. And all that did was help pad the box office. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Matt D said:

The whole package me back to being 20 in the National Guard Armory in Cambridge, MA awkwardly making an X with my arms in the crowd.

But I'm not entirely sure I want to be back there. Just saying.

Same here with me, only at an Armory in Northeast Philadelphia.

• Like 2

I was at the Final Battle 2003 show there and it was a damn experience.  It was All Japan v ROH essentially.  Homicide/Kojima, Mutoh/Arashi v Daniels/Maff, Styles/Kaz Hayashi and CM Punk/Cabana against Honma/Miyamoto.  Probably one of the greatest wrestling shows I ever went to.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

I was at the Final Battle 2003 show there and it was a damn experience.  It was All Japan v ROH essentially.  Homicide/Kojima, Mutoh/Arashi v Daniels/Maff, Styles/Kaz Hayashi and CM Punk/Cabana against Honma/Miyamoto.  Probably one of the greatest wrestling shows I ever went to.

I was there, too. Seeing Mutoh live was a dream come true. You know a show is stacked when the opening match on the main card was Bryan Danielson vs. Jay Briscoe. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

FNN1bOTWUAQgJ0_?format=jpg&name=large

Third times the charm. The new AEW Women's World Championship is much, much better than the two previous. I like every belt in AEW, probably the AEW World Championship the most.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Are we going to do this conversation again when Punk uses The Bouncing Souls for his retirement match?

Yes! I will even go higher then 95% to piss some of you off even more. (It was a joke on those "reporters" on Twitter to begin with, who cover wrestling but not even know basic stuff or maybe research before posting dumb stuff) 

• Like 1