DVDVR Message Board

R-Evolution III - 3/6/2022

I think there are still two story beats left with the ring: 1) somebody kicks out of it, finally [WARDLOW], and 2) somebody destroys it [also maybe WARDLOW].

Edited by EVA
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Shit I don’t know who I want to tear it up with Mox/Danielson/Regal (The Red Dust Trio?) first. Where do you even start with this tag division. There’s like a year’s worth of bangers in there.

"Old Dust Trio" is right there, especially if they figure out a way to organically shoehorn Dustin in with them.

From what I understand, Rosa/Baker was no great shakes... but slotting them after Punk/MJF really did them no favors. On a show like this with all highs, they could've used some filler... there has to be someone you could feed Shawn Spears to.

• Like 1

Couple random thoughts...

I was worried about Sting after that table bump. The AEW view of it made it looking like the other top table was broken entirely by Sting bouncing his head off of it. Thought for sure he had a concussion and possible damage to his neck. Thankfully the video posted in here shows it was his forearm / hand actually hitting the table and not his head. That match WAY over delivered.

Jericho vs Kingston also WAY over delivered. Kingston is having some of the best matches in the whole company these days and you just love to see it.

The new Women's Title is about 80,000x better than the original two designs. I also noticed the JR flub in the men's title match thinking they had a new belt.

5 hours and 12 matches is just too much. Unless we go back to the days of WrestleMania 3 having an intermission on PPV, the crowd is always going to be dead by the main event. Sometimes restraint is more important that fitting in everyone that deserves a spot. The match order will always suffer too. I loved just about everything on the show. But I think I would have loved it even more if there was time to breathe.

Odd choices for Hangman. I don't think he's turning heel so I'm not sure why they had him do two very heelish spots that semi turned the crowd on him. Why did he shove Alex Reynolds? I know they wanted a brawl to start. But that was a bad starting point. The tying Cole to the ropes thing would have been fine, an eye for an eye after all, had he not also got physical with The Dark Order guys. Just weird decisions.

Tag Three Way, both Trios Matches, Jericho v Kingston were my favorites. I get there are people that don't enjoy The Bucks. But they are god tier at that style of tag match. That shit was insane. Regal showing up was a legit big moment. This is one of the best overall PPVs I can remember. Trim two or three matches and it may have been able to hit the best of all time.

• Like 3

Forgot to mention that Jurassic Express looked the best I've ever seen them, the SSP spot from Jungle Boy was ridiculous as was the ring apron moonsault (I think I'm remembering that right) from Luchasaurus. They're still not my favorite tag team by a long shot but they looked a lot more like they belonged in the top tier.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

5 hours and 12 matches is just too much. Unless we go back to the days of WrestleMania 3 having an intermission on PPV, the crowd is always going to be dead by the main event. Sometimes restraint is more important that fitting in everyone that deserves a spot. The match order will always suffer too. I loved just about everything on the show. But I think I would have loved it even more if there was time to breathe.

I think an intermission could work for the PPV's. They only have four of them a year and I'm at the point where I'm willing to say each one feels like a WrestleMania - which is a great thing. You could do a musical act, backstage interviews, a "pre-show" type desk where they discuss what's happened, ect. There's a lot of potential there, but just anything to let the fans get their energy back. Just look at how hot they were for the Kingston/Jericho match. You've got to find a good way to bottle that and help preserve it throughout the entire show.

For people who work Monday mornings, these shows have got to be killer if you're able to watch it live.

• Like 6

When Punk did the Won’t you be my Valentine promo, the collars he had with him were studded black leather. The collars on the PPV were plain brown leather. So if we assume that they wanted to have the PPV collars on TV but they weren’t ready yet, who do you think they borrowed the BDSM ones off?

• Haha 6

53 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

You could do a musical act, backstage interviews, a "pre-show" type desk where they discuss what's happened, ect.

Just a personal belief, but an intermission isn't an intermission if you're still doing stuff. It needs to be a total reset. A period of time where your brain can shut off the event and take a rest. That's what reignites your excitement. I say that as someone who has seen all kinds of different intermission ideas on the indys. Concerts are still essentially part of the show. I've seen companies do "intermission matches" which is just about the dumbest thing in the world.

The good indy shows just take a break. Fans can go and hangout and get autographs and pictures and stuff. The narrative of the show stops so your brain can breathe. That's why I name dropped WrestleMania 3. They just put up a 20 minute clock on PPV with the WrestleMania logo. That's it. Not Excalibur continuing to rattle off story beats and narrative recaps. Just 20 minutes to go grab food or a smoke or play on your phone. It would refresh people's brains. If you keep doing stuff, regardless of what that stuff is, then it's really not a break. Your mind still feels immersed in the event.

I know that sounds a bit like a waste of 20 minutes of PPV time. But it worked before and it could work again. I don't remember seeing anyone talk about WrestleMania 3 being too long or them being burnt out ya know? There's probably a reason for that. But it's all really a guessing game until someone tries it.

• Like 10

16 minutes ago, AxB said:

When Punk did the Won’t you be my Valentine promo, the collars he had with him were studded black leather. The collars on the PPV were plain brown leather. So if we assume that they wanted to have the PPV collars on TV but they weren’t ready yet, who do you think they borrowed the BDSM ones off?

Given Punk's body count he coulda just had it lying around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

I was there live. Crowd never got burnt out. MJF and Punk built slow after like four crazy matches but by the time we got the finish it was deafening. The last two matches had insane heat.

Britt and Thunder suffered a bit because it was the only chance people had to grab water.

Long show for sure, especially being in the Eastern time zone (my hometown is Central) but that’s the liveliest crowd I’ve ever been a part of. Total party.

It seems that as good as Punk/MJF was live the TV experience really enhanced so looking forward to seeing that on replay.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, AxB said:

Hot Topic

22 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Just a personal belief, but an intermission isn't an intermission if you're still doing stuff. It needs to be a total reset. A period of time where your brain can shut off the event and take a rest. That's what reignites your excitement. I say that as someone who has seen all kinds of different intermission ideas on the indys. Concerts are still essentially part of the show. I've seen companies do "intermission matches" which is just about the dumbest thing in the world.

The good indy shows just take a break. Fans can go and hangout and get autographs and pictures and stuff. The narrative of the show stops so your brain can breathe. That's why I name dropped WrestleMania 3. They just put up a 20 minute clock on PPV with the WrestleMania logo. That's it. Not Excalibur continuing to rattle off story beats and narrative recaps. Just 20 minutes to go grab food or a smoke or play on your phone. It would refresh people's brains. If you keep doing stuff, regardless of what that stuff is, then it's really not a break. Your mind still feels immersed in the event.

I know that sounds a bit like a waste of 20 minutes of PPV time. But it worked before and it could work again. I don't remember seeing anyone talk about WrestleMania 3 being too long or them being burnt out ya know? There's probably a reason for that. But it's all really a guessing game until someone tries it.

A few WWF PPVS tried this. My friend had a tape of Royal Rumble 89 and 90 as a kid and 1 of them had an intermission.  Pretty sure he also had SummerSlam 89 on there which may have had the intermission too.  I always used to get pissed about having to FF the tape. 

RIZIN, the successor to Pride FC in Japan, has incredibly long marathon type new year's eve shows and they will feature two full intermissions. If you're not going to cut down the show time by having fewer matches and shortening match lengths, an intermission is a great idea.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Jade as Jade was AWESOME.  

Jade is my favorite person in AEW right now.

Watching her grow and develop into a star has been such an amazing journey.

The women's matches weren't perfect but, given who was involved in each of them, Jade looked MUCH better than Britt.They need to be careful or the TBS title is going to become THE women's championship. Maybe the TBS/TNT titles should be TV only and not on PPV? Like, that's the reason you want the world title, is for the PPV bonuses.

Also Jade has my favorite music in the biz. That's some real dirty, late 90s WCW guitar riffing. Reminds me of the Horseman theme.

More thoughts -

The build to crowning the Mad King Eddie Kingston should begin here. Even if he only holds the title for a day and has to relinquish it due to injury or something. The moment of him winning that title will be all time.

Tag match was great. Put over Jungle Boy huge with his resilience & innovative offense. Long term story telling right there.

Ladder match had some amazing spots. OC claiming the pile of giants and then later skinning the cat onto the ladder both got huge pops from me. I can see MJF costing Wardlow in his title match.

Punk v MJF - Great mind games from Max to start and then... Oh... My... Goodness...

"Nothin from nowhere / I'm no-one at all..."

I'd long dreamed about Punk making a WWE comeback using that music because only the hardcore fans would 'know'.

It was 2003 again, for just a few minutes, as I silent screamed AFI at my TV.

Then the match. Incredible story telling from two of the absolute best. I thought MJF would find a way but the Wardlow turn happened and it all made sense.

Punk can push for a title match with Page.

MJF has a War Dog he needs to bring to heel.

Wardlow needs a contract Tony K. 

Ive not watched Bryan v Mox, the 6 man, or the World title match so I'll give thoughts on those later but right now this might be my favorite AEW show so far.

• Like 6

One quick point - AEW need to look at their timing.

This show could have had 1 less match and that would give everything time to breathe.

They cram so much in that we go from the finish of one match straight into the opening of another, or one person's entrance music is cut off by their opponent's.

Give each person a 5-10 second 'cool down' & fade their music out. Let them interact with the crowd for a moment before their opponent enters.

There should also have been a presentation for the new women's title.

Britt gets in the ring with the old belt, hands it to the ref, he takes it to ring side and grabs the velvet bag. Back in the ring he holds up the new title as everyone clapping and cheers. I think it would also feel like there's more of a chance for Rosa to win it as well.

Just little things they could improve for a better feel to their shows overall.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, AxB said:

The Butcher, The Blade, and The Bunny

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• If they wanted to have 1-2 buy in matches, they should have gone with something quicker/less interesting. Everything on there had story. Even a squash might have been ok not to burn out the crowd. They did a good job over previous PPVs in saving some stuff on the level of QT vs Hook that had a grudge to the next Dynamite/Rampage while stories reset.
  • I get that Excalibur does his best but don't have the guy read copy during the PPV maybe! There was a DDTai (one of her two finishers!) near fall in the Jade match and he was reading copy over it.
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Greggulator said:

I really hated the Punk/MJF match. I think they tried to have too much psychology with things like Punk targeting Max’s hand. The psychology of a dog collar match is simple: Punk makes this coward piece of garbage bleed a lot of buckets, MJF does something dastardly to get control, then you get to the ending. But Punk should have been beating him up for 90 percent of the match. I did not like it.

I feel like this analysis misses that a key point of Punk's AEW character is that he's over the hill and struggles against the higher-end young stars. MJF's character is that he's a piece of shit, but he mostly backs it up in the ring which makes him even more obnoxious. Punk dominating the match wouldn't make sense for either of them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I'm okay with this as well. People have already purchased the PPV, they surely aren't going to be turning it off. The only thing that worries me is the show by default will now be thirty minutes longer on a show that's already creeping up on midnight. We're basically talking right now about the PPV ending almost 12:30-1am ET on a Sunday night.

I hope this is the last Sunday PPV that isn't followed by a holiday. I took today off from work because I knew I was going to be wrecked and it's not the worst time for such a day but still don't like it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I don't remember seeing anyone talk about WrestleMania 3 being too long or them being burnt out ya know? There's probably a reason for that. 

I think part of it is also match length and how much is being done in the matches. Mania 3's longest match was under fifteen minutes, and there were only two bouts over ten minutes. AEW fans seemingly want more, which is why we have marathon shows with seven matches exceeding fifteen minutes, three of which went over twenty. It's a lot. Anything to give people time to breathe is a plus. 

• Like 4