DVDVR Message Board

R-Evolution III - 3/6/2022

So, this is more rambling notes but I think we all need a cigarette after that, so you get more short takes.

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

They need to do a two hour DVD/Video release of CM Punk/MJF's feud, complete with both of them talking about the feud, and both matches complete. If anyone else gets anything else serious consideration for feud of the year, they're nuts. It was simultaneously an orgy of violence, and A1-storytelling, with so many callbacks to past spots, both in this feud and in the history of both men and wrestling as a whole.

Speaking of "Orgies of violence". What do you think went through Danielson and Moxley as they watched that insanity? In my head, they must have been like "there's no way we can top that." and been down and out, until Regal slapped them both saying "You don't have to top that. You just have to do YOUR own style and dare them to TOP THAT".

Between Kingston/Jericho and Danielson/Moxley, I think the ghost of Misawa with Hashimoto in puro heaven is nodding, and saying to Kawada, Taue, Chono and Mutoh on earth. "They learned our lessons. They applied it. They understand it. We did our job".

Pro Wrestling is ALIVE and FUCKING WELL, boys.

Speaking of Alive and Fucking Well, what the fuck, Sting? Where the fuck did you find the fountain of fucking youth and why ain't you sharing with the rest of us?

I think I can understand why they didn't pull the title switch with Baker. There was so much going on that Rosa taking the title here would have been lost in all the insane moments. As it was, the Adams Championship match almost felt like a leftover. Hopefully in the next couple months, they let the two main event Dynamite (or Rampage) in a 30 minute Iron Woman match and give Rosa the belt. The call back better have all the contenders that got screwed by Team Baker (DmD) banding together to stop outside influence.

Speaking of Mutoh, did Punk actually break the 1.0 Muta scale?

I reiterate. Pro Wrestling is ALIVE AND WELL. FUCK THE HATERS.

Top Mark, Out (I had to get FTR referenced on this show) ?

• Like 14

Five hours later and I'm spent. I had fun watching this in a theatre with about a dozen other people. I would definitely recommend the theatre experience for anyone that doesn't want to spend $50 on a ppv. I'm absolutely going to choose the theatre route for future ppv's. 

• Like 12

42 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Jade and Tay was better than Thunder Rosa and the Doctor.  Who would have thought.. 

Britt & especially Rosa are not capable of doing what they try to do every time. Rosa got into the game late in her career & was dogshit. Ask anyone who went to those LU tapings. She deserves all the credit in the world for turning herself into a passable wrestler but that's her level. She's passable. That is her bar. But then she goes out there trying to do an athletic match that is way beyond her abilities & we see the same results every time. Britt is no help. You remember the reaction Britt/Tay got on the last PPV? That would have been the reaction here if not for the fact Thunder is over & people are afraid to boo her or she'll pull out the same card she did at Warrior Wrestling when she had an absolute stinker & the crowd let her know.

A lot of the AEW women are at a perfectly acceptable level where they can go and get by doing 6-8 minutes... maybe 10-12 at most for certain people. Nothing wrong with that. But every time it's always the same. They want to do their "epic" match & prove everyone wrong. Every time, they fail. The only time they succeeded was the smoke & mirrors match that was taped which allowed for editing.

The AEW women's division can be successful if it accepts what it is. Eventually more (better) women will hopefully come along & maybe then it can evolve. The AEW women's division will never be successful if it stays the way it is now with most of the women trying to prove themselves to be what they're not every time out & getting rewarded for every mediocore match by Twitter comments saying "yaaaaaas queens best match of all time" from accounts that troll AEW daily about having more women's matches.

• Like 1

Man, what a show from start to finish. The Buy In was a fun little free show and it didn't let up one bit when the PPV started.

I was glad to see Eddie Kingston win and was shocked he won by submission. Hopefully we see more heel Jericho out of all of this.

The triple threat tag title match was amazing. Honestly I wasn't expecting something this good out of all of them. I figured Lucha and Jungle Boy would be the low ones out in this match. Was pleasantly surprised when they won.

The ladder match was good. I wasn't expecting Wardlow to win. I was almost expecting MJF to come out and cost him the match. Keith Lee has the long toss for the ages when he chucked Orange Cassidy. I'm glad Wardlow won though. The whole "he's under contract to MJF" thing could come into play with that title match. I'm calling it now. MJF is getting that title match for the TNT Championship.

Jade continues to improve with each match. I didn't get the hype behind her when she first debuted, but I see it now.

The dog collar match was everything I expected and then some. I just loved the bloodshed by CM Punk. I thought the thumbtacks weren't needed, but it was a nice touch with MJF being planted into them. Wardlow not giving him the ring was fantastic. It's fun seeing Punk having fun out there like the good old days.

Rosa vs. Baker was a damn good match even with all the stooging from Hyter and Rebel. I like that Britt has to keep winning by these means. She's an effective heel. Hopefully this sets up for a cage match between her and Rosa for a big Dynamite.

Mox vs Danielson started off slow and then was off to the races. You can't go wrong with two guys just clubbering each other. I was surprised by the blood loss with Moxley, but he was the one who wanted to bleed. They didn't show a replay, but I swear Bryan's shoulder was up on that inverted pin. Ah well it all lead to William Regal walking out and to put a stop to them fighting. Sign me up for whatever Regal will be doing with them.

The trio's match I thought should have been one of those matches they saved for a Dynamite. The show was running really late, but Sting made up for being crazy old Sting. I can't believe he's 62. The New Jack dive off the balcony was amazing.

Finally we get to the main event just before 11:30PM Eastern. I thought the crowd was quite lively considering they were there for five plus hours at that point. I honestly thought Cole would cheat his way to victory but was really surprised when Hangman pulled it out.

Overall a stellar show from start to finish.

• Like 4

Looks like the "switch in San Antonio" is likely on.

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/1-contender-s-match-added-39-aew-dynamite-women-s-world-title-match-set-316

(Hirsch vs Thunder 3/9, winner to face Britt 3/16)

Ok, I didn't mean to , but now that I saw Britt 3/16, I'm legally obligated to)

"Britt 3:16 says the Doctor will see you now!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Sting just looks outrageously good for his age. Given Funk is mentioned above, Sting is like a decade older than Funk was on his final WWF run. Obviously the make up helps a lot, but few words to describe how much better his conditioning is compared to other peers who were performing a decade or more younger.

• Like 1

Just rewatched the video. That guy yelling "Holyshit Sting, DON'T DO IT"? That was me. Never mind I was thousands miles away, and I couldn't even get the PPV live. That was me, projecting myself. Holy shit. he BOUNCED when he hit.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I was disappointed with the show after the ladder match. Crowd sat on their fucking hands up from there until Adam Cole came out dressed as half assed master chief with a few big pops between. Jesus. The work was mostly great but I can't get emotionally invested in matches without a hot crowd and they were pretty much done after seeing everything in the first two matches. Let down for me. ROH Punk was cool and I got goosebumps between AFI and the white shorts but the match itself didn't quite live up to my lofty expectations or their first match especially with a worn out crowd. They were into spotfests tho. Ugh sadness. ?

• Like 1

I’m such a baby, but I had tears in my eyes for Punk’s entrance. His entrance at ROH Reborn in Chicago was one of the most epic things I ever got to experience live (shoutout to @Gorman for his ring announcing) and that includes going to two Wrestlemanias and who knows how many classic Raws I got to experience in Chicago or Indy (I was there for the episode where Kane set JR on fire!). I will always remember the thundering sound of pounding on the ROH signs and being someone who got to do that at ringside. It kinda bummed me out that Orlando didn’t really seem to get the gravity of Punk's classic entrance.

Oh, rest of the show was outstanding. LET’S GO EDDIE!

• Like 6

My main note from watching this show is in one world: Joy. This was a show that brought joy to me, but I also 100% feel it brought joy to the people running the show, and wrestling on the show, and that comes across so clear as day, and that is what makes this company so fun to watch. Take a look at Sting, who I honestly think absolutely loves his job right now. He's a 62 year old man who I think loves wrestling more now then he did when he was in his athletic prime. Punk was done with wrestling for almost a decade, and you can tell how much he loved this entire thing today. There is so much love of the craft when you are watching this company do it's thing, and god bless it.

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I’m such a baby, but I had tears in my eyes for Punk’s entrance. His entrance at ROH Reborn in Chicago was one of the most epic things I ever got to experience live (shoutout to @Gorman for his ring announcing) and that includes going to two Wrestlemanias and who knows how many classic Raws I got to experience in Chicago or Indy (I was there for the episode where Kane set JR on fire!). I will always remember the thundering sound of pounding on the ROH signs and being someone who got to do that at ringside. It kinda bummed me out that Orlando didn’t really seem to get the gravity of Punk's classic entrance.

Oh, rest of the show was outstanding. LET’S GO EDDIE!

You're not a baby and never apologize or anything like it for finding joy in wrestling. This stuff is supposed to be fun and make us all feel good. Wrestling lost that feeling of being special and producing feel good moments for a long time and its a great feeling to see that it can be that way again from posts like yours. I'm glad you got that feeling tonight

• Like 8

Not much to add, but another amazing all-around show from AEW.

House of Black vs. Death Triangle deserves a shout from the pre-show. Awesome tv 6-man.

Jericho/Eddie was at worst neck and neck for MOTN, and relative to my expectations, it blew me away. I can't remember the last time Jericho worked that stiff, and him going back on his word after the match was a nice cap to his heel turn. It seemed to blend Flair/Foley and Misawa/Kawada 05 in just a totally unexpected masterpiece.

Punk/MJF capped of their all-time feud with a fittingly violent match. Wardlow's turn was well done and sets up each guy to leave this feud behind them for now.

Bryan/Mox would've stood out more on a lesser show, but it was stiff af, and the Regal moment gave it a big moment to stand out. Dragon/Mox vs. pretty much any top AEW team is a dream match, but let's start with FTR so Regal and Tully can go at each other.

So, JR getting his notes mixed up and commenting on a new belt before the men's title match instead of the women's is one of those things I will think about randomly and laugh uncontrollably.

*Hangman comes out*
JR: Is that a new belt?
Tony (over the crowd noise): What?
JR: IS - THAT - A - NEW - BELT?
Tony: Uh, no I don't think so.

Anyway, the main was fine and didn't feel out of place on such a stacked show. Great finishing run with Hangman looking strong and getting adequate revenge on Cole for the Rampage beatdown.

Everything else on the show was decent to good with at least one big-time moment, save for Thunder/Britt. That felt like filler, but when they hinted at the rematch in San Antonio in a couple weeks, it made a lot more sense. Also assuming that will have gimmick after all the interference in this one.

A+ show overall.

• Like 3