DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 2/18/2022

3 minutes ago, Jiji said:

They gotta stop doing Shida and Riho dirty. I understand Riho is injured but those past champs need some fuckin' shine when they're around. Shida's talked about retiring at the end of her deal and she's posting messages on social media about how being Japanese went from a bonus early on as the division relied on joshi puroresu but now it's a detriment. 

That Shida/Deeb feud was really, really good. Why was it suddenly dropped unless this leads back to Shida beating Deeb?

Isn't Shida also injured? That's why they ran the angle they did, with Deeb taking out her leg.

• Like 1

Just now, kafkonia said:

Isn't Shida also injured? That's why they ran the angle they did, with Deeb taking out her leg.

Sheesh. You're right. She went back to Japan, I had read that, but I didn't know why. That's comforting to know though too bad she's injured. Point largely still stands that they've kinda fucked Shida and Riho (particularly) since they've dropped the belt. The Deeb feud was the first thing Shida got since losing the belt and it's definitely delivered. The Riho match in January was probably Britt's best match outside of lights out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kafkonia said:

I thought it was writing her off to go back to Japan, since she's booked for a match in Tokyo Joshi Pro next month

14 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Adam Cole's getting a title shot lookingi like that and Jay White's a Very Special Guest Star looking like that. Just an observation.

And Jay beat Trent, who just beat Nick Jackson the other week, and will likely beat Orange, who beat Cole.  Just sayin'

It's almost like King Switch is streets ahead of all these geeks ?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Hiroshi Tanahashi notices what a dickhead Jay White is. Tanahashi, Kazuchika Okada, Tetsuya Naito, Kota Ibushi and Zack Sabre Jr are the five NJPW I want to see debut the most in AEW, especially Okada/Tanahashi.

He started using those with his 2nd Tanahashi feud from what I remember.   While ZSJ was my favorite Tana opponent, Jay was a close 2nd.

And Trent is mega underrated.  Trent/Juice for IWGP US is the best singles match i've ever seen live.

Edited by alstein

Great hour of wrestling.

Cole-Ten made Preston look like a contender. Also kind of made Cole look small, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing...it’s just he has decent charisma and solid wrestling skills and it just doesn’t click with me. Add me to the list of Cole better not go over Hangman.

As others have said, Dante and Hobbs have great ring chemistry and if they’re fighting for the world or TNT title in a year I would not be surprised and also be very pleased. Dante is growing before our eyes. I have limited ladder match experience but I’m intrigued and a little skeptical about a hoss fight ladder match.

Main event was an excellent match while also not quite grabbing me the way that some lesser matches did. But I was also very tired and a little drunk.

I think the Deeb challenge is going over bigger with us than the live crowds, but it’s going to go somewhere great.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Adam Cole's getting a title shot lookingi like that and Jay White's a Very Special Guest Star looking like that. Just an observation.

This is body shaming.

Mick Foley was wrestling WWF main events in sweat pants, t-shirts, and sneakers. 

"CM Punk's ass looks fat!" - Triple H

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

So I can't help but wonder if we get reDragon trying to help Cole, leading to the Bucks coming out to stop them, leading to a Hangman win and a 6 man series with White/Bucks v Cole/RD.

Then when Kenny comes back he's just "Ah fuck it" and does his own thing.

I’m really loving Hobbs’ whole presentation right now. His face is absolutely perfect with that snarl. Love the new singlet. He’s a big fella and wrestles like it. he’s completely believable as a brick wall that someone like Dante can just bounce off of. 

I certainly wouldn’t be opposed to Hobbs picking up some gold in a years time. 

• Like 3

An Entirely Healthy Dialogue about the Panama Sunrise

Is this going to be another thing about how Cole has no definition for his role and place on the card and opponents he's facing and style of wrestling and how that affects suspension of disbelief?

Nah, the board has that handled and I don't really care all that much. Wrestling's all symbolic. I just like making topical one-liners to get likes because we're all only human.

So this is going to be another insane rant blaming the fans for chanting along with Cole after he spurns them and refuses to throw his shirt to them?

No, the fans kind of suck sometimes but they're only human too. They all just want to be loved by the cool kid.

Panama Sunrise rant again then?

Yeah, sorry.

You realize Vance was keeled over twice in the match but only to lure Cole in. He countered it both times.

I do realize that, but the simple state of pro wrestling physics that led to those moments being viable and believable still frustrated me to the point where I'm writing this. Any situation where a wrestler has to do something that either doesn't exist in any other match or that they wouldn't normally do in any other situation is innately problematic and shouldn't be done. The longer a period where they are doing this, the worse it is. It's the Powerbomb Kidman Theory of Disruptive Collaboration.

Yet you are a 619 apologist...

Because Rey goes out of his way to strategically get other wrestlers in that position. The entirely of his offense is centered around it. He puts every effort in to downplay the idea that it would be unusual or cooperative. He creates the cause that leads to the effect.

So you'd be ok with the Panama Sunrise under certain circumstances?

Yeah, I actually would. Cole should have seven or eight different ways of knocking a guy's wind out of him and getting him in that exact position. It's not good enough to have someone just get up and be keeled over. I don't care what he does. Use the heart punch! That would be awesome actually. Have a precise kick to the gut. Do a drop down Cody/Dustin punch to the gut. Or steal that move from French Catch where someone knocks you over but you rock back to your feet with a headbutt to the gut from the ground like a seesaw. Potential Energy attack. It's a great move. It could add an entirely new layer of psychology and strategy to his matches where he works to set people up for it. It could open doors for him instead of making people do things that are completely ridiculous.

What's the alternative?

The alternative is really dumb but if he's going to be pushed as a main eventer for years, just have people all across AEW keel over like that for extended periods of time in matches not involving Adam Cole. Just make it one way that everyone sells in more matches. 2.0 does a double Russian Legsweep; have a guy keeled over as part of the set up. Likewise a switchblade or the set up to Bunny's down the rabbit hole or whatever else. But this is very dumb and Cole going full Rey is a much better idea.

Are you going to bring this up every time Adam Cole wrestles?

No, just when it really bugs me like it does here.

You realize that Irish Whips are...

Yes, I realize that Irish Whips are... but that's established wrestling physics over decades and decades and again there are logical elements that we just all accept. Plus, see above. It happens in every match so it's not EXCEPTIONAL physics. I'm consistent here.

You can just not watch Adam Cole matches? Make some more Mayberry jokes. Talk about the 1991 Braves line up. Maybe work Silk Stalkings into it.

I like a number of things that he does and they put him up against interesting and varied opponents. Plus he's super over and I like being part of the discussion. It's just the faces and the Sunrise, primarily. But if it hits that point, I will avoid him instead of being a disruptive element on the board.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

This one didn't record for whatever reason so I had to use the Internets to watch it. I don't think I've realized until now that those commercial breaks with PnP are LONG AS FUCK. Like, five minutes or something of your match just evaporating; the Hobbs match seemed the worst. Card was decent, nothing blowaway. I got a big laugh out of Jay White treating Orange like a joke. 

54 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

This one didn't record for whatever reason so I had to use the Internets to watch it. I don't think I've realized until now that those commercial breaks with PnP are LONG AS FUCK. Like, five minutes or something of your match just evaporating; the Hobbs match seemed the worst. Card was decent, nothing blowaway. I got a big laugh out of Jay White treating Orange like a joke. 

Both of this week’s shows were the first time I’ve felt the PiP was a big negative. For me it was most egregious in the White-Trent match, it looked like a lot of significant action took place and the announcers really had to bring everyone up to speed when they came back.

1 minute ago, JLowe said:

Both of this week’s shows were the first time I’ve felt the PiP was a big negative. For me it was most egregious in the White-Trent match, it looked like a lot of significant action took place and the announcers really had to bring everyone up to speed when they came back.

Plus we were robbed of "Tanahashi Jones" and that's such a bummer!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

I thought it was writing her off to go back to Japan, since she's booked for a match in Tokyo Joshi Pro next month

Yeah I didn't think it was a major injury or anything, even the tweet shows bruising which seems normal for wrestlers.

Shida brought up many of the same points that Swole had but if your company founders are very self creative people that's going to cause problems for the folks that aren't even if they could help your company.

I don't watch wrestling to dislike stuff and I don't go online with the intent to complain about it, but it is what it is with Cole.

I think a lot of wrestling fans grew up with their favorite thing being shit on for being fake by people they knew. It's self-conscious baggage that I'd probably be better off without, but fuck you, it's there. This is one of the reasons why I like well-done goofy shit - it lets the oblivious outsider know that, yes, the crowd is "in on it", and that the pursuit of realism isn't the primary point of the artform. It's also part of why I like the really stiff and shooty stuff - I would say it proves to people that "this ain't ballet" but that grossly undersells the fact that ballet is an unquestionably tougher athletic pursuit than, like, anything on Earth. I digress.

In the modern wrestling environment, there has been a stark growth of this really shitty grey area on the underside of these two extremes. The good middle ground is big, tough guys who don't mind peeling the curtain back for the sake of entertainment. My mind goes immediately to the selling of Harley Race and The Rock, for example. It's smaller guys who compensated athletically and psychologically - the 90's Japan->ECW->WCW->WWF pipeline of 00's main eventers, for instance. It's guys with divergent body types like Mick Foley, Zack Sabre Jr., i dunno, Giant Fuckin' Baba who don't wrestle like they aren't fat/lanky/built like two kids under a trenchcoat using broomsticks for arms, they just wrestle different.

I've had spots where I've liked Adam Cole, particularly in PWG and when he wasn't in a main event singles spot in NXT.  But he's in that lame middle ground these days where he and the booking don't present him like an semiathletic short guy trying to overcome the odds via heart / desperate cheating, even though your eyes tell you that's who he should be. Yeah, he cheats but it's not the center of his game. Yeah, he doesn't wrestle tall but he's not flying around or going for sneaky cradles. It's still superkicks and suplexes. His finish reads like a light tap on the head and looked awful next to Vance's well-established full nelson.  Adam has the cockiness of a bigger dog, but it's not played like he's delusional. He has the hair and gear of a look-at-me pretty boy, but I don't know what else I'm supposed to look at. He wrestles light, occasionally goofy and everybody sells it like it's serious. He looks like a regular dude, not necessarily a bad thing, but everybody treats him like a stud. It isn't the look and the size by themselves, it's the dissonance between how it looks and how it's treated.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 6

That's a really good way to put it, and I'm not sure I noticed how light his work is until the 8 man against Imperium. I don't have much use for any of the UE guys, but the other three at least knew to lay their shit in. Adam's over there throwing punches that missed by eight inches. It's just not good. 

So I'm catching up on last night's episode and I'm so impressed with Jay White's promo, I am wondering if they're gonna have him stick around? I don't see how they can merely tease having a guy with that skillset and confidence level unless he's gonna knife-pervert in and out of AEW like some flying one-man nWo or become a roster member. 

Also, love what I'm seeing from Hobbs and Martin. Those two have fight-forever chemistries going on b/w them, although I see Hobbs going further in the long run.

Edited by Horatio
  • Like 4

All I’m saying is that I am willing to accept Jay White as our new AEW champion. The dude is a stud in the ring.

Hobbs is also one of my fav’s in AEW. Dude has the look and skills. Needs a bit more character work to be launched into stardom. Sure, wearing a bad ass coat in the snow does a lot, but a bit more time on the mic and working on his character besides just being a big dude fucking shit up would do a ton for him. Definitely potential break out star in Team Taz.

• Like 4