DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 2/18/2022

Beretta vs Switchblade!!

Serena Deeb 5-minute challenge!!

Bay Bay vs 10 of the Dark Order.

Powerhouse vs, I think, Dante in the "If you win you get to fight in a ladder match at the PPV or something like that" challenge dealie!!

I don't want to start taking stuff like Trent? vs Jay White for granted. It's amazing, from say a 2018 perspective, to think we can get a match like that on TV with, like, Ex and JR  Taz ? calling it. I like to remind myself how lucky we are right now as pro wrestling fans... I would rather go on about that too much than risk losing my sense of gratitude and joy.

We were wondering if we would get to see Bryan and Mox side by side while also kind of thinking "I'd like to see those guys fight" and now maybe we'll get both! I like that! I like having a cake and eating it too! 

I prefer that to being teased with the possibility of delicious cake and then having the same old shit sandwich forced down my throat! 

I like how young guys like Hobbs and Martin have developed to where we all know what kind of action to expect, and that we can count on these guys to deliver.

The Deeb challenge is great, too! I can't wait to see who they eventually put over with this gimmick. Hurricane vs the Rock mini-feud and Angle vs <redacted due to anti-Semitism> 5-minute challenge remain some of my favourite relatively modern WWE TV memories. They could do something similar here, putting over a young challenger just by having her come close to holding her own vs Deeb.

Rampage is always a fun hour that just flies by. This week sure looks like it's going to deliver that.

EDIT: DON'T FORGET RAMPAGE STARTS THREE HOURS EARLIER THAN USUAL THIS WEEK!!

Edited by Gordlow
so many reasons
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Gordlow said:

I don't want to start taking stuff like Trent? vs Jay White for granted. It's amazing, from say a 2018 perspective, to think we can get a match like that on TV with, like, Ex and JR calling it.

Hard to imagine Ex not answering the phone. Is JR calling this? On Rampage? Is Punk debuting again?

Edited by John from Cincinnati

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

Midnight UK time. That's better than the normal 03:00am.

That's 02:00am over here, so I'll get to it in the morning, I doubt I'll stay awake for another two hours. Just got home from work half an hour or so ago.

• Like 1

show notes:

turned to TNT at like 6:03 my time so it's possible I missed important Ten vs Adam Cole stuff. Ten looks more physically impressive than Adam Cole. The best way I could describe Cole's look is "imagine if Shawn Michaels was glaringly small" (and Michaels was probably under 200 for various times when he was on the top but it somehow wasn't like what's going on with Cole's upperbody. It's an upperbody business, Steve).

Anyways, Cole wins, but Ten post-Dark Order could be good. It seems like the Dark Order exists right now to job to guys who are going to face Adam Page in a few weeks.

Powerhouse yeeted Dante Martin a bunch, then the match went to a break, then Dante got some moves in but Hobbs won. For the sake of setting uniform yeeting standards, Keith Lee should get to face Dante Martin and Powerhouse should face Isiah Kassidy.

Good thing that they didn't go to a commercial break during the Serena Deeb match. Boy do they love the picture-in-picture concept, even for a taped show. Basically if you lose without going through a commercial break in AEW, you're pretty much enhancement talent. I'm guessing whatever woman beats Deeb first in that challenge will be in line to move up the ladder slightly.

So Jay White is what Pac could have been if Pac drank more milk as a child?

• Like 3

Man this Nashville crowd got a hell of a quality wrestling night between Dynamite and this.

I loved that Hobbs-Dante match, both guys have great chemistry and they really went at it with the hardcore intensity from the bell. I could watch this 2 wrestle each other for a long time and I think it would always be fun. 

Not sure who’s been coaching Dante but his facial expression were so much better here, he actually felt alive instead of his usual bored-teenager-little-brother expression, it improved his whole presentation. 

Loved the decisive no bullshit finish to the match, sometimes this is OK and both guys still look great. JR is gonna lose his shit if we keep adding meaty guys to the ladder match.

This is the first time I’ve noticed the in-ear headphone thingy during the pre main event promos.

Trent’s elbowing his opponent’s face as they stumble down the ropes is one of my favourite signature moves in AEW  right now. 

Match was great, I always enjoy the pace and character that Jay brings to his matches and he came off as outclassing Trent in his debut who has looked very strong lately. Another decisive no bullshit finish to my delight, that counter was smooth AF.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 7

Those fucking imbedded Reddit posts are a nightmare. Two videos autoplaying simultaneously.

Jay White is fucking great. If Tony Khan and AEW can save him from the reversal dance hell of NJPW and keep it to a minimum like tonight with that slick slide out of the Strong Zero directly into the Bladerunner then he's a god in the ring. What a devious fucker he is, in the very best way. Best in-ring modern heel going and Trent is a wonderful white meat babyface that sells better than 99.9% of wrestlers going today, so a perfect foil. MJF is a great in-ring heel too but he's more old school and kinda hokey with it. Lawler updated. White is more like a mean, NJPW style with the psychology and character work of a heel. Sign me up for Orange vs. Switchblade. 

Missed the opener, is it worth going back to watch?

edit: oh yeah, Dante/Powerhouse was really good. Love the Jericho line about the biel becoming the powerbomb for the big bois in 2022. Yes, please. Can't believe we're getting those three beef bois in a ladder match. Love it!

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 8