DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 2/16/2022

21 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

extra random note from last night: keeping in mind that heels are supposed to lie sometimes... I am amused that in the Adam Cole universe, he wasn't technically in WWE, he was in NXT ("everywhere i've been, i've been World Champion")

See I heard him say that and my first thought was "You were never world champ in New Japan" but I guess that's also excused since he was an ROH guy moonlighting in NJPW

1 minute ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Does the PWI recognize the ROH Championship as a World Title?

They’ve dropped the strict criteria for recognizing world titles. The large indie promotions and some of the foreign promotions now get world championship designation.

31 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I’ve sort of only skimmed the thread.  Did anyone mention Dominic Garrini playing one of the security guards?  Did he get a match on Dark?

I read that he and Kevin Ku both got Dark/Elevation matches

• Thanks 1

I'm stumped at how this weeks show lost 300k viewers from last week. I thought this was a much stronger show. Maybe starting with a long promo isn't a good idea? Maybe the BBT lead in is losing its luster? I'm legitimately baffled...

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, just drew said:

I'm stumped at how this weeks show lost 300k viewers from last week. I thought this was a much stronger show. Maybe starting with a long promo isn't a good idea? Maybe the BBT lead in is losing its luster? I'm legitimately baffled...

Baffling is the perfect word. I couldn't get over that number when I saw it. I've narrowed it down to two possibilities:

1) Knicks and Lakers both played and drew eyes away in big markets

2) Cody's got a lot of fans

• Like 1

In the grand scheme of things, outside of the main event - everything is pretty much inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.

I've said this before (as have others) and they even changed this a couple of weeks ago, but as much as I like knowing the entire card ahead of time the element of surprise is mostly desolate. When you can look at the card of a show and decide if you "want to watch it because X is on, or not because Y isn't on" I do feel that would potentially waiver viewers.

Let's be honest, the best thing about any RAW or SD is that you feel you can see anything. Maybe Reigns has a surprise title defense tonight, or they have a Falls Count Anywhere match, ect. It helps get a lot of those guys on the card when you can bullshit your way into a tag team match playa or whatever, but AEW doesn't do that outside of that FTR/Mox and Punk match or the surprise Serena Deeb 5 minute rookie challenge. I think they need more of THAT. 

How many times have we discussed the strict format that they run with 5/6 matches per week. I get wanting everyone to have a banger match and get a nice rub, but damn, some of these guys shouldn't be off TV for as long as they are. I get keeping it fresh but I think there's a balance with that.

I don't know what would help alleviate a format that they have basically had since day one, or if they even have any interest in it or see it as a problem. But I do believe knowing ahead of time the full show may hurt the "casual" viewer more so than help it. Just my thoughts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, christopher.annino said:

Was the whole "Russian figure skater accused of doping" debacle on TV last night? It's on the evening news tonight...

the Network ratings last night

• NBC: Winter Olympics got 6.4M between 8-8:30 and 6.9M between 8:30-11
  • ABC: 4.6M for Jeopardy, 3M for Chase from 9-10, 2.6M for Chase from 10-11
  • CBS: 3M for Big Brother, 3M for Amazing Race, 2M for NCIS
  • FOX: 2M for I Can See Your Voice, 1.9M for Next Level Chef

Last Wednesday, Primetime Olympics was at 9.8M with Jeopardy at 4.6M and everything else on ABC/CBS are 2-2.9M and Fox was 1.753-1.922. So, College Jeopardy won the night for the least drop?

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

the Network ratings last night

• NBC: Winter Olympics got 6.4M between 8-8:30 and 6.9M between 8:30-11
  • ABC: 4.6M for Jeopardy, 3M for Chase from 9-10, 2.6M for Chase from 10-11
  • CBS: 3M for Big Brother, 3M for Amazing Race, 2M for NCIS
  • FOX: 2M for I Can See Your Voice, 1.9M for Next Level Chef

Last Wednesday, Primetime Olympics was at 9.8M with Jeopardy at 4.6M and everything else on ABC/CBS are 2-2.9M and Fox was 1.753-1.922. So, College Jeopardy won the night for the least drop?

I knew that the average TV audience was way lower than it was before all the streaming and DVR but I had no idea that AEW pulling in 1m was basically half as many people as watching FOX.

And thinking back to the days of the Monday Night Wars, pretty sure both shows at their apex would’ve beaten any of these?

Speaking of DVR, do they post the 7-day viewing for AEW? I know that the show Ghosts on CBS is a hit in part because it’s been doing great numbers there.

On 2/16/2022 at 10:58 PM, EVA said:

Unless my ears deceive me, I feel like every AEW live crowd vehemently disagrees with the notion that Cole is a weak challenger.

I think people here are drastically underselling the possibility that Cole wins this match. Does Cole/Omega need the belt as the centerpiece of the looming Elite Civil War? No, but it would make sense and be a huge match.

This was a good show, but it felt like they went a little heavy with heel stable beatdowns.

Rosa/Mercedes was charming in its dangerous sloppiness. Gotta love that they just said "fuck it we can do this apron-table spot at a 45 degree angle right?" And that top rope elbow drop was one of the ugliest in history, yet looked like more of a killshot than any other top rope elbow I can remember.

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

I don't mind Cole but I would much rather Page dropped the strap to Danielson and won it back from him before moving on. 

Danielson’s not a bad idea, but I think MJF is probably the best guy to win the belt next, specifically because since the very beginning with the Bret Hart title unveiling segment, MJF vs. Hangman was set up as their key feud between future stars. Hangman is their biggest homegrown baby face, he should lose the title to their biggest homegrown heel.

• Like 5