DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 2/16/2022

Yes, overall a kick ass show! I know it was the first time anyone asked MJF to be their Valentine, but I didn't think he'd be THAT speechless over it!

That sad excuse for a wet fart Shawn Spears did absolute fuck-all to help out Wardlow in that match. Less than that, actually!

the Inner Circle tag was good, shouldn't Santana &Ortiz win one of those battle royals now?

Mox will fight Brian before he can decide if he is worth teaming up with. Smart!

John Kreese, you fucker!

Main event, holy crap!

Rosa and Martinez kicked a whole bunch of ass!

Doesn't seem like the sky is falling even if Cody isn't there.

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I loved Rosa's selling when she was hitting the transition 'rana off the top. Mid-move selling is a hell of a thing.

This. Wish more people did it. Bryan Danielson, CM Punk and Minoru Suzuki are examples of that to go with Thunder Rosa.

13 hours ago, JLowe said:

Also, with how weird and dangerous parts of the match was, I’m still trying to decide if Rosa used an actual audience member for help on her dive from the railing.

I think it was because that dude looked absolutely lost when she tried getting him to support her

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Nothing to add, was a top top bottom great show, and I love love loved the clever use of the Valentine pun in Punk's promo.

I am filled with shame.  I didn't get the Greg Valentine connection until it dawned on me this morning.  I am.... a fool.

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

Punk/MJF promo was gold.

Danielson/Moriarty was so damn good. they gave a lot to a guy who's barely been on TV. i hope they have big plans.

one thing i'm surprised the commentary team didn't catch on to (and i didn't see it mentioned in my skim of the thread):
Shawn Spears didn't just NOT help Wardlow. He watched the Acclaim trade the chain, THEN distracted the referee to set up the illegal shot. 

Thunder Rosa/Mercedes was great. With everything inanimate JUST BARELY working out, it really felt spontaneous. and dangerous. and that elbow to the face, OOF! Rosa's outfit lived up to the promise of her earlier tweet.

Sammy/Darby are insane. great match. 

• Like 4

Well that show was wicked pissah.

I really can’t say much that was critical about this episode.  

Santana and Ortiz have waited long enough.  Let’s fucking GO!

Any time AmDrag is on my screen.  I’m there for it.  Congrats to Moriarty for having a big day pay off.  He has to feel like he is in good hands careerwise compared to being handled by the knuckleheads in Orlando.  

I love me some Thunder Bae.  Great match with MM.  Rosa looked so good in The Bride outfit… Brandonnetico has to go calm down.

There are rules in wrestling as far as how a show is formatting and executed.  Big match for Punk/MJF?  Do a big promo.  Punk did all that needed doing and for once (as an exception to those rules) MJF was shut up.  Good stuff.  Loved the change up from the expected back and forth.  

I love you AEW.  

Edited by Brandon Bones
I have no knowledge if Lee Moriarty was ever in NXT or did a try out. But when wondering about what life is like on the other side. Moriarty has to feel like he is in the right place for him to shine.
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, Pete said:

Punk's promo was solid fucking gold. One of the best in AEW history for my money. One microscopic little nit-pick: the photo of him with l'il MJF was a little too realistic, like it was the actual photo and MJF passed it off to him for the promo. Better perhaps to print it out on a sheet of paper or just put it on the EliteTron. Again, just a tiny tiny nit pick with a classic promo.

I choose to believe that MJF's parents, who kayfabe hate him, passed the photo to Punk to get under the little prick's skin 

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

In terms of them wanting the momentum of a good show last week to carry over, maybe. But in terms of what was on the show? I dunno. Last week on Dynamite the biggest stuff they'd announced was the Jericho tag and the Rosa-Mercedes match. Entirely possible people who skipped Rampage didn't know Sammy-Darby was happening or that Bryan would be in action. 

Ebbs and flows. Is what it is. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Huge announcements = ratings

No huge announcement? = no ratings

I think that's about the size of it. People get excited for debuts and surprises, moreso than matches. I know I do. I can't imagine not bothering with a show because of a lack of those things, but if forced to choose, it's the show with a new guy turning up every time.

if your roster is large enough, or used in a way, where quite a few guys are in matches/segments every other week, it probably helps with overexposure, but I could see the potential of some lack of consistency in ratings if some compelling people aren't on every week

Like the entire format for a 2 hour show was built on the concept of competing against a wrestling show on another channel, meaning a build to something at the end. But when you got 2 hours and the competition is the NBA or cable reality shows... the show layout might be open for experimentation?

4 hours ago, DEAN said:

I am filled with shame.  I didn't get the Greg Valentine connection until it dawned on me this morning.  I am.... a fool.

I didn’t get it until reading this thread this afternoon 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, SturmCRF said:

I think that's about the size of it. People get excited for debuts and surprises, moreso than matches. I know I do. I can't imagine not bothering with a show because of a lack of those things, but if forced to choose, it's the show with a new guy turning up every time.

This was the heart and soul of the Monday Night Wars. Who would jump next? What might someone say? Who would join the NWO? Etc.

It's 100% what the TNT should be used for. Guys coming in on one night contracts. Surprises from up and down the card. Matches you weren't expecting. Forbidden Door. Have everything else structured but have a title defense every week that's the surprise. It'll work.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1