DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 2/16/2022

Channeling my Meek Mahon for a second, Keith Lee really gives me Jonathan Coachman vibes in tone. 

Would love for reDRagon and Bucks to cancel each other out, and Santana/Ortiz and FTR face JE at the PPV with a reDRagon/Bucks match to settle their differences.

CM Punks subtle jab at Malakai Black for "sitting like I do" has me jacked up for an interaction between the two, which could eventually lead to a darker more aggressive Punk out of this. 

Where does Scorpio Sky go after his cousin leaves for Titan towers?

Speaking of Titan, Caster had a pseudo diss converging NFL Titans with Cody Rhodes, although I assume it is too soon. 

The face off between Keith Lee and Wardlow will be tremendous.

So, the face of the revolution match is for a shot at the TnT title or for the title? 

Edited by ChrisPBacon
  • Like 2

On the off chance that Hook will be in the Ladder match, I wonder if they could pull off a spot with Keith Lee, where Lee does the huge Jessica Biel throw across the ring towards the corner but Hook lands on his feet in the corner and does his disgruntled face pose while leaning on the top turnbuckle?

• Like 3

I can not tell you how happy I am Martin Kove made an appearance. Cobra Kai is one of my favorite things going right now. Between this and that super random Billy Mitchell cameo from a few years ago, AEW just keeps popping me with these obscure celebrities I'm a fan of.

Now gimme William Zabka in Thunder Rosas corner cowards!

• Like 7

21 hours ago, Gordlow said:

No one cared who I was... Until I put on the mask.

Theatricality and deception are powerful agents to the uninitiated. Oh, but we are initiated, aren't we, mr @The Natural?

It doesn't matter who we are. What matters is our plan.

I only want to add that my CPAP really boosts my Bane impression.  The kid pops when I get to "Gotham is YOURS!"

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I really hope they don't overshadow the one big women's match they've spent over a year building to for a nostalgia tv show. 

I only say this because of how big of a fan of the show I am but...

didn't Tyson play an integral part in Austin/HBK at Mania 14? I say that tongue in cheek because Martin Kove isn't Mike Tyson, but dude's a celebrity on arguably the most popular Netflix show for like the past two years. Nostalgia TV show is kind of not either fair as his affection comes from the current generation too. Shit, Kove popped every wrestling fan I watched with in the cord. This is the crossover I never knew I needed.

• Like 3

You call your buddy.  "Hey, I got tickets to Dynamite in February!"  

"Oh, nice! Where are the seats?"

"Right across from the hard camera.  We should make some signs."

"Oh, definitely."

Ok, great.  Makes sense.

But then, after having a couple months to come up with some funny/witty/cool/whatever signs, you show up with "Bryan Danielson Cries at the end of Old Yeller" and "Adam Cole has a Dad Bod".  That's what you come up with.  You think of these sentences in your head.  You take the time to make the signs.  You lug those signs with you all the way to the show and into the arena and to your seats.  You hold those signs over your head the WHOLE DAMN SHOW.  You really think you've shown the audience in the arena and those watching at home what a witty person you are.  

Jesus. That's just fucking sad. I went from being pissed at this distracting asshole to just being sad for them.

However, the "A Winner is You" sign was genius.  Love it.  And the person who brought it had enough sense to only hold it up after someone won a match.  Bravo.

I'm sorry, but of course Danielson cries at the end of Old Yeller! What kind of heartless psycho doesn't? And that's not a "dad bod" on Cole. Do you even know what a dad bod is? Is it just a term you heard and thought it was a general insult.  Oh, goddammit!  Why have I given this so much thought and energy.  Now I'm mad at me.

Anyway, this was a great show.  I need to go back and watch the TNT title match.  I was distracted by my kids during it.  Danielson/Moriarty was a match I wanted to see as soon as Bryan was signed.  It's going to do those young guys so much good getting to be in the ring with him and picking his brain backstage.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Punk's promo was solid fucking gold. One of the best in AEW history for my money. One microscopic little nit-pick: the photo of him with l'il MJF was a little too realistic, like it was the actual photo and MJF passed it off to him for the promo. Better perhaps to print it out on a sheet of paper or just put it on the EliteTron. Again, just a tiny tiny nit pick with a classic promo.

MJF is such a natural heel... to the point where he knows when NOT to be a heel. At the Nassau show he leaned into the "local boy made good" gimmick and was a beloved babyface with the fans for one night. Here, he wasn't a smart-ass heel or a tough guy: he was just a scared, speechless kid coming to the sad realization that he is in for a WORLD of hurt at Revolution.

This is the perfect wrestling show ATM. Two hours, with a ton of stuff that rarely feels rushed and where everything just breathes naturally. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, ChrisPBacon said:

CM Punks subtle jab at Malakai Black for "sitting like I do" has me jacked up for an interaction between the two, which could eventually lead to a darker more aggressive Punk out of this. 

Where does Scorpio Sky go after his cousin leaves for Titan towers?

I love the idea of Malakai finding his way to a position across the ring from Punk.  That said, I think Punk may have been referencing there Max Friedman's use of the trademark Punk sitdown pose.  I had no idea Brandi Rhodes and Scorpio Sky were cousins.  I'd have to think Scorp is safe in his 'Dark farming wins/built up for occasional losses on TV' role.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Yeah! The Levesque-approved insult in this case would be "skinny fat," right?

Besides the point, but even that doesn't properly describe Cole's physique, though. I mean obviously he's in great shape cardio-wise, so skinny fat or dad bod seems kinda inaccurate. Petite, diminutive or elfin on the other hand...

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

I really hope they don't overshadow the one big women's match they've spent over a year building to for a nostalgia tv show. 

Martin Kove lives like 30 minutes away from Nashville, that’s the only reason he was a part of Dynamite last night. And presumably Britt Baker is a big fan too, since this is the second or third time they’ve interacted (conventions previously).

1 hour ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I can not tell you how happy I am Martin Kove made an appearance. Cobra Kai is one of my favorite things going right now. Between this and that super random Billy Mitchell cameo from a few years ago, AEW just keeps popping me with these obscure celebrities I'm a fan of.

Now gimme William Zabka in Thunder Rosas corner cowards!

Zabka & Macchio both in the corner arguing about what Rosa should do

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Nothing to add, was a top top bottom great show, and I love love loved the clever use of the Valentine pun in Punk's promo. I second the motion that the Hammer should be in the house again for that one.

And speaking of being in the house, I got tickets for next week. That HOB/Death Triangle tag is gonna slay!! And I think it says a lot about Kingston that I'm equally looking forward to him dueling mics with Jericho (who I haven't seen in this building since I believe a 2002 Smackdown on the lead up to X8)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Great show enhanced by a great crowd.

Loved that Moriarty/Dragon match, Danielson's strikes looked brutal and Lee was bumping like crazy from them, looked like he was getting shot every time he got hit.

Caster is deceptively big, one of the few guys that didn't seem outsized by Wardlow.

Everyone in that Inner Circle Explodes match is in so much better shape than they were just a few months ago. Ortiz has been looking crazy ripped lately, Hagger was looking in the best shape of his life, Jericho has certainly slimmed down in the last couple of months and Santana has been hitting those deadlifts hard. Surprised at the clean pin at the end.

Kyle had me laughing out loud in that segment with Cole and the Bucks with the whole Parent of the Year and how many kids everyone had . "guys guys GUYS! YOU ALL HAVE BEAUTIFUL FAMILIES!". Perfect delivery from everyone.

Rosa/Martinez was a fun brawl with a couple of brutal spots, specially that German from the top. A few botches but I feel they covered well. Rosa looked amazing in the Kill Bill outfit, a great look.

Sammy and Darby was great with some crazy moves as we all expected. When I know they're going to wrestle I always get the same feeling as before I watch a Naito/Kota match, you know they're just gonna do some dangerous shit.

That cutter out of nowhere counter to Darby's dive might be one of the best of it's kind because it makes sense that it would hurt more than just a regular dive. Ending was a bit cheap with the interference but fun match overall.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Nothing to add, was a top top bottom great show, and I love love loved the clever use of the Valentine pun in Punk's promo. I second the motion that the Hammer should be in the house again for that one.

And speaking of being in the house, I got tickets for next week. That HOB/Death Triangle tag is gonna slay!! And I think it says a lot about Kingston that I'm equally looking forward to him dueling mics with Jericho (who I haven't seen in this building since I believe a 2002 Smackdown on the lead up to X8)

Nice one! Have a great time!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Log said:

I'm sorry, but of course Danielson cries at the end of Old Yeller! What kind of heartless psycho doesn't? And that's not a "dad bod" on Cole. Do you even know what a dad bod is? Is it just a term you heard and thought it was a general insult.  Oh, goddammit!  Why have I given this so much thought and energy.  Now I'm mad at me.

Is there actually a prototypical dad bod? I thought a dad bod just indicated you’d stopped caring about your physique, presumably because you’re tired from dealing with kids.

A comparison photo going around comparing him to a Trenned up Enzo kind of makes it look he’s given up on the gym. I could see someone with that physique being a dad.

Making a sign about it is pretty weird though.

• Haha 1

3 favorite things from the night were

"Be my Valentine". What a line Punker.
Eddie Kingston getting a kings welcome in Nashville.
Darby and Sammy are awesome. Watching that match is dawned on me just how big of a star Darby Allin really is for AEW. He's such a good seller and his offense is quick and makes sense.

• Like 6