DVDVR Message Board

THE BATMAN (2022) - Spoiler/Reaction Thread

Dolfan in NYC

I would love to see Mr Freeze in this universe. Riddler as a Zodiac / Jigsaw hybrid was a very realistic & plausible presentation. I'd like to see how realistic & plausible Reeves could go with Freeze. And with the whole city flooded, turning Gotham to ice would be a pretty easy next step.

I'd also love to see a Red Hood. But can't get there without a Robin first. Not sure how they would pull off the resurrection. Think they would probably opt for some sort of hospitalization / brain dead angle he recovers from and never actually dies. I don't think Red Hood would be a good for for this universe tho.

Man Bat, Hush, & Professor Pyg are also characters I'd like to see pop up. But they don't have the name value studios want.

My thanks but no thanks list include The Court of Owls, Two Face, & Bane. The Court of Owls concept just bores me. And bums me out because getting deep into political string pullers is too realistic. I watch movies to get away from the real world. Two Face because we already had two versions of him (one done very well), and Bane we've already had two of (nether done that well). Joker goes in that list too, but he's already here. I just hope he stays in the background and is never the lead villain.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I would love to see Mr Freeze in this universe. Riddler as a Zodiac / Jigsaw hybrid was a very realistic & plausible presentation. I'd like to see how realistic & plausible Reeves could go with Freeze. And with the whole city flooded, turning Gotham to ice would be a pretty easy next step.

I'd also love to see a Red Hood. But can't get there without a Robin first. Not sure how they would pull off the resurrection. Think they would probably opt for some sort of hospitalization / brain dead angle he recovers from and never actually dies. I don't think Red Hood would be a good for for this universe tho.

Man Bat, Hush, & Professor Pyg are also characters I'd like to see pop up. But they don't have the name value studios want.

My thanks but no thanks list include The Court of Owls, Two Face, & Bane. The Court of Owls concept just bores me. And bums me out because getting deep into political string pullers is too realistic. I watch movies to get away from the real world. Two Face because we already had two versions of him (one done very well), and Bane we've already had two of (nether done that well). Joker goes in that list too, but he's already here. I just hope he stays in the background and is never the lead villain.

Mr. Freeze makes sense for those reasons. You'd get the contrast from the red in marketing for The Batman (2022) to blue for the sequel. The villain I want to see the most done justice in live action so Mr. Freeze please and thank you.

I'd really like Phantasm to make her live action debut, she's had a long wait. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993) is terrific.

I don't think we'll see Professor Pyg, a genuinely disturbing character by the best Batman writer ever, Grant Morrison. Could be used as a side character.

I like The Court of Owls but find them overused and a tad overhyped too. I prefer The Black Glove. Two-Face is in my top five Batman baddies. I didn't think his turn into Two-Face was rushed in The Dark Knight as some people say.

Joker's here to stay. It's no surprise that at least two of the biggest box office Batman movies feature him in Batman (1989) and The Dark Knight. Without looking, The Batman would be third though adjust for inflation for Batman (1989).

Edited by The Natural

23 hours ago, The Natural said:

Villains I'd like to see in the Matt Reevesverse:

• Mr. Freeze.
  • Harvey Dent/Two-Face.
  • Poison Ivy.
  • The Phantasm.
  • Simon Hurt though there's no chance.

oh my god, i didn't realize how much I needed a live action Phantasm in the reevesverse until right now. It would be so easy to do and WHY AM I NOT WATCHING THIS RIGHT NOW

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, The Natural said:

Villains I'd like to see in the Matt Reevesverse:

• Mr. Freeze.
  • Harvey Dent/Two-Face.
  • Poison Ivy.
  • The Phantasm.
  • Simon Hurt though there's no chance.

I'm torn on the idea of Freeze. It would be nice to see him done justice, and if they continue to focus on a more humanizing aspect of Bruce it could work. That said, if the focus is still detective based then he isn't really the best choice. To a degree though that is how it feels with many of the meta villains. 

Phantasm is another I'm torn on because I can't really see them adapting that one in ways that would provide something new and/or improve upon it. I feel like that is one we all think we want now only to be pissed at the various changes when it finally happens.

12 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Court of Owls is something that could probably work well in the current setting. The issue is there really isn't a strong central figure(s) from the group to make it work. Its also something that probably needs to be built up via a couple of films.

One thing I liked was the how they handled Joker with him already being locked up and having a gang out and about. I kind of hope they continue that with some batvillains having already been caught and established in the world. I would rather see somethign like that with Dent as well opposed to trying to capture his full story again on screen. Let it be known they exist, but don't make them the feature.

I agree about avoiding Bane. His story can be done better, but its far too close from his last outing even with the time between. If they ever use him again its best tried again another decade or so after they are done with the current run.

• Like 2

I like the idea of doing a Phantasm story in the third movie after you have introduced one or two more villains and Bruce is still pining away for Selena Kyle.  Mask of the Phantasm is kinda like Hush and only works if the Batman has a fairly established rogues' gallery.

As dirty and corrupt that Reeves's Gotham is, how could you not have a Court of Owls story especially since the citizens just elected a do-gooder mayor?  The Owls would be chomping at the bit until they took "their" city back and there is a power vacuum to be filled now that Carmine Falcone has reached room temperature at the hands of The Riddler. 

The turf war between the Owls, Penguin, and God knows who else provides an ideal backdrop for the Phantasm to enter stage right.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

FRUBXP5X0AM6d3l?format=jpg&name=900x900

It was only a matter of time and a sequel to Matt Reeves' The Batman is officially in development.

The announcement was made during Warner Bros' CinemaCon presentation with studio chief Toby Emmerich confirming that “Matt Reeves, Rob Pattinson and the entire team will be taking audiences back to Gotham with The Batman 2.”

My reaction:

FRT2nHeXwAcjtgS?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by The Natural
  • Haha 1

On 4/27/2022 at 2:46 PM, Raziel said:

Fuck it, we're just finishing Year 2..

LET'S DO LONG HALLOWEEN!

I mean, they already touched on it with the Falcone being Selina's father bit. Let's do it. 
Fantasy casting time: Who plays Calendar Man?  Of all the villains in it, you can't cut him out.

I open with Paul Walter Hauser.

On one hand it would, on the other it kinda loses some of its impact without all the extra players.

Then again, Arkham City itself was a form of No Man's Land anyway and it worked.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...