DVDVR Message Board

THE BATMAN (2022) - Spoiler/Reaction Thread

Dolfan in NYC

Affleck must be one of the most generic, formless "leading men" of his Hollywood generation. His manner, style and appearance summons absolutely zero intrigue. Yes, a man befitting of a generic action flick. I wholly expect Reeves' Batman noir to run rings around those vapid, inelegant heaps.

Edited by A_K

14 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Won't be seeing it until Wednesday. 

Congratulations on Rotten Tomatoes approval, Jeffrey. Meant to say that sooner but your post reminded me now.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Well, for one there's nothing wrong with that and I'm sure my friend would be thrilled.

But while I was first going to bitch about how I don't like anything about this Batman I think I'm best off waiting until you folks watch it.  I have my reservations with various things but if y'all say it's great then sure why not.

• Like 1

My son (4) REALLY wants to go see this.  Not going to happen, buddy.  That means I probably won't get to see it in theaters.  I'll definitely catch it as soon as it hits VOD.  

I've purposely not read too much about it.  I think me not knowing the plot at all going in will help me enjoy it more.

• Like 1

Some general non-spoiler thoughts:

I like parts of this movie. I liked some of Reeves' direction. I liked Pattinson's performance, but I didn't really love the film as a whole. I really wanted to love it, but I just don't.

It just seems rather misguided. I need a little time to think on it. In terms of actual cinematic quality movies, I think Mask of the Phantasm, The Dark Knight, and Batman 1989, and even Batman Begins are better "movies" and "Batman" movies overall.

I feel like it rehashes a lot of stuff that's been done better before. Just kind of remixes it and does it in a slightly different way.

The payoffs and big plot twists are kind of underwhelming.

I think the one thing Reeves really nailed was the Catwoman/Batman relationship and dynamic.

The middle section of the movie felt like it was trying to channel Daredevil S1. But then some of that feels abandoned.

Also, no disrespect to people who are loving or really enjoying the film. I can see why it would be enjoyable or likable. I say go for it.

Parts of the movie also felt like Dredd 2012 though I think Dredd 2012 was a better, tighter film. Other parts almost felt like this was a spiritual successor to Todd Phillips' Joker. Not a direct sequel, but felt like they went off clear inspiration and threads and remixed them from that movie.

Still, this is my definitive motion picture take on Batman, yet to be topped:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the non spoiler thoughts, @TheVileOne. I love Batman and to me Batman is Batman: The Animated Series. That's my #1 followed by Grant Morrison's Batman run (2006-2013), Batman: Year One, The Dark Knight Trilogy and Batman: Arkham Asylum/Batman: Arkham City. I can say there are aspects of Batman I don't like be it film: Batman that kills in Tim Burton's Batman movies, Batman and Robin, killer Batman in Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justin (keeping that autocorrect in) and comics: The Dark Knight Strikes Again, All Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder.

• Like 1

On the one hand, I’ve got pretty low expectations. On the other, even if it’s the fourth best Batman movie besides the bangers TheVileOne listed that sounds good to me.

@TheVileOne, was the talk about the 70s crime movie influences overstated? Reeves comparing it to The Conversation was one of the more intriguing things about the film. 

My top ten Batman movies before The Batman:

10. Batman (1966).

9. Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox (2013).

8. Batman Returns (1992).

7. Batman (1989).

6. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (2012-2013).

5. Batman: Under the Red Hood (2010).

4. Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker Uncut Version (2000).

3. Batman Begins (2005).

2. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993).

1. The Dark Knight (2008).

Tellingly how high The Dark Knight and Batman Begins are but there's no The Dark Knight Rises. It fell off from tenth first by Batman: Year One (2011) and then Batman (1966). I still need to see Batman: The Long Halloween - Part 2 (2021). If it's as great as Part 1 (2021), that would make it.

Edited by The Natural

2 hours ago, (BP) said:

On the one hand, I’ve got pretty low expectations. On the other, even if it’s the fourth best Batman movie besides the bangers TheVileOne listed that sounds good to me.

@TheVileOne, was the talk about the 70s crime movie influences overstated? Reeves comparing it to The Conversation was one of the more intriguing things about the film. 

That influence is there, but there are others as well. 

• Like 1

Got my tickets for the 5:30 afternoon show because the matinees were sold out.  Fucking pandemic teleworkers and retired people.

Edited by J.T.

So, I've been kind of "oh, I can wait" on this, but I just listened to The Ringer's Big Picture podcast on this (they keep it spoiler-free), and I'm all in.

I may play hooky for a half-day Monday to see this in a theater.

• Like 1

In Florida with my parents and they were randomly completely stoked to go see this, so instead of waiting a week with my friends, i watched now. My thoughts in no particular order:

It is fantastic.

It's a Year Two story (which is even shown in a diary he keeps).  Pattinson is great as this disconnected nut driven by vengeance above all. 

I didn't expect Penguin to be in it as much as he was. But I guess if you get Colin Farrell you keep him there as much as you can.  Plus it definitely looks like he's going to be a massive problem in movie 2 or 3.

Bludhaven name drop!

Boy oh boy the mayor's kid may as well as had a giant neon "ROBIN" sign pointing at him whenever he was on screen.

I really liked this fucking psychopath Riddler. The reveal at the end that shocked me was that he actually doesn't know about Bruce. That was a terrific misdirect, well done Matt Reeves. But you know, he frankly does win in the end. Which is a very nice turn on the superhero story.

I do love how everyone in the movie who has lines, is there for a reason, has clear motivations, and a significant arc. 

This version of Bruce is very interesting. A much younger version of The World's Greatest Detective, which matches very well with Riddler.   

Oh and I'll spoiler one thing because I had no idea this was happening in this movie:

Spoiler

Oh the second I heard someone speaking to Riddler in Arkham... I knew it was him. ?  Hell, I think they actually implied that this was his plan all along.

Happy to say I'll see this again soon. You should go. Like now.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I really liked this fucking psychopath Riddler. The reveal at the end that shocked me was that he actually doesn't know about Bruce. That was a terrific misdirect, well done Matt Reeves. But you know, he frankly does win in the end. Which is a very nice turn on the superhero story.

We all smiled because it was the second of the two Hush easter eggs, the first being HUSH? in big ol' white letters on the evening news.

The swerve being that it began to look like he had solved the Hush riddle (The greatest riddle of them all!  "Who is the Batman?) when he actually hadn't.

Amazing film.  Loved the transformation of Batman from a brooding Dark Knight to a man of the people and realizing with the help of the mayor that the vigilantism he thought was philanthropy was actually done out of the selfish desire to uphold his family name in a constant war to avenge his father.

We got the "You see, I'm both Bruce Wayne and Batman, not because I have to be, now, because I choose to be," moment from Batman Forever (which also featured The Riddler) without the campy Val Kilmer line delivery.

I liked Zodiac Killer Riddler more than I thought I would.  Also loved the liberal license of making Bruce's mom an Arkham and giving her family a tie to the infamous Arkham Asylum.  In the comics, Bruce's mom comes from the well to do Kane family and that's how Bob Kane snuck his name into the mythology.

Bruce and Alfred mending their fences in the hospital made the theater a bit dusty.

Oh and the end credit scene?

Spoiler

The url that flashes is to <?> (rataalada.com)  

I have been waiting for years for a Batman movie where he gets to be a detective instead of a ninja.  Finally got it and it was totally fucking great.  You can see the wheels turning in Bruce's head as he relished the challenge of matching wits with the Riddler.

Colin Farrell was pretty great as The Penguin as was John Turturro's minimalist menace as Carmine Falcone.  How appropriate that Cobblepot may be the biggest beneficiary of the Riddler's scheme?

Pattinson and Zoe Kravitz had MOLTEN CHEMISTRY~!  which made the dynamic of Batman & Catwoman's relationship and his battle for her morality even more awesome.  "HE HAS TO PAY!" "YOU DON'T NEED TO PAY WITH HIM!"  

The score was a mixed bag.  At some points it was painfully effective and in other points it had no gravitas.  The intro of the Batmobile needed something heavy like Zimmer to give that scene some weight.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

The score was a mixed bag.  At some points it was painfully effective and in other points it had no gravitas.  The intro of the Batmobile needed something heavy like Zimmer to give that scene some weight.

Giacchino is more a John Williams than a Zimmer. His Rogue One was absolutely perfect, his Star Trek's were OK. I still need to listen to this one to see where it falls.

• Like 2

I hated it. It was a Rorschach v. Rorschach movie. The intro was laughable and seemingly a word for word copy from the Watchmen. 

Really didn’t care about the political intrigue and mystery. I don’t think any of the reveals meant anything. I went in with low expectations and I was still underwhelmed.

random thoughts:

- It’s THUH Batman.

- that Joker reveal was cringey and they probably should’ve avoided it if you can’t have Heath Ledger or Joaquin Phoenix. 

- Bats totally injected himself with Bane’s venom to rage beat that guy after he got shot. 

- Bruce’s Chris Gaines haircut was ridiculous.

- no special bat voice, no utility belt, no batarangs (really). 

- Really hated how the first people he beats up are Santana and Ortiz to save the soul of Anthony Bowens cosplaying as Darby. 

• Like 2

This is a superb film: while there are unavoidable elements in the genre (i.e. costuming - which is also mitigated here to a large extent with a streamlined combat suit for Pattinson, Riddler's Zodiac-killer get up, Kravitz' body suit and subtle semi-balaclava etc.), they almost unequivocally manage to avoid carny-ness. If you want a campy carny blockbuster fest, this isn't going to be the 'superhero' film for you. Instead you get the World's Greatest Detective in his element, and you have to work as an audience to keep up and decipher the mystery with him. It is a great character film.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 4

I really liked this movie. Much more to say later, but right off the bat, I love mysteries that are willing to show you their cards early on, if you’re smart enough to get it. And with that in mind, the use of “Ave Maria” over the opening title...*chef’skiss*

To he clear, I am not a man of culture and didn’t get it until I googled it after the fact.

The one underwhelming scene here was the Barry Keoghan off-screen part, but if you’ve seen Green Knight he is an extremely exciting casting choice for that role.

Edited by A_K