DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 2/9/22

2 hours ago, Horatio said:

I'm 5'7" ... that's why I wanna see Quiet Storm destroy everyone and everything. It just makes sense to me.

Bless John Silver for carrying the torch for lil guys with big arms.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

And WWE named a title after the United States but routinely defends it outside of the United States. Exact same thing. It's a name. Not a limiting weight class or specified designation for title defenses. It's just a name.

If it was a Cruiserweight Title and 500 pound guys got titles shots, you'd have a point. This is just an arbitrary name that has no limiting factors or weight class tied to it. Same as TV Champ, US Champ, European Champ, ect. Just a name.

Did regional titles used to only be defended in that given region or was that just headcanon I made up when I was young?  If not, what's the purpose of it?  Honestly, I feel like the "United States champion" is just the champion of the US, is lesser than the champion of the world, and as such should only defend that belt in the US.  Larry Zbyszko beat Barry Windham for the Western States title in New York was some bullshit, man.

Re: companies with "world" titles who don't defend them outside the US.  I laugh about PWG having "world" titles, ostensibly because they were defended a handful of times in Europe back in 2006 and 2007.  Forget the world, they never leave California.  ?

Edited by Technico Support

2 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

And WWE named a title after the United States but routinely defends it outside of the United States. Exact same thing. It's a name. Not a limiting weight class or specified designation for title defenses. It's just a name.

If it was a Cruiserweight Title and 500 pound guys got titles shots, you'd have a point. This is just an arbitrary name that has no limiting factors or weight class tied to it. Same as TV Champ, US Champ, European Champ, ect. Just a name.

It makes sense to defend the title outside of the US if you are representing the country on behalf of the promotion. 

The titles were specifically designated for the respective networks airing AEW programming. They shouldn't constantly be flipping networks on the same week.

23 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

The titles were specifically designated for the respective networks airing AEW programming. They shouldn't constantly be flipping networks on the same week.

No they weren't. They were created because the promotion wanted mid-card titles for the men and women. Not to be network specific titles. They've never once promoted or marketed them that way. They used the names of the networks they were on as a way to be cute and score bonus points with Warner. Kahn even said so on a podcast he did with Bischoff & Conrad. Using US or TV or Intercontinental or North American had all been done and would seem like they were ripping off other's ideas. So he decided to name them after the networks they air on. Kind of an homage to a TV title but with an original spin. It's just a name tho. They were never considered to be network specific.

2 hours ago, Raziel said:

It's like having a "World" Title yet never promoting a show outside your home country...

This is something I see a lot and I don't understand how it gets interpreted this way. So if a heavyweight title is open to heavyweights, then using the world means the title is open to everyone in the world. It doesn't mean you have to travel out of the country and defend it everywhere. It means anyone in the world can come to PWG and have a shot at their title. Now that interpretation gets muddied up if you also have a US Title that is open to everyone in the world too. But to me, this makes just as much sense as saying if you have world in the name you have to travel everywhere to defend it. Nah. Just means anyone in the world can come challenge for it. Instead of a weight class, it's a location class.

Yes, I know traditionally world was used because traveling champions like Flair would defend it everywhere. I'm talking about the modern interpretation since the territories have died and all promotions have their own top champion. The classification has evolved. PWG's world title is just as valid as WWE's world title is just as valid as AEW's world title. Anyone in the world is welcome to come try and win it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Log said:

I do like it when a title has its own set of rules. Something like ROH’s pure title or the early iteration of the tv title where it was a 10 minute time limit. 

Drew Gulak supposedly pitched the idea of the Cruiserweight title being defended in 2/3 falls matches exclusively.

The idea was to highlight that it was a workrate title, rather than a 'belt for little guys'.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Watched the Punk/Mox vs. FTR match. If FTR is the Midnights then Punk is Jake (doesn't do a lot, focused on selling/psychology/mic work) and Mox is Terry Funk. Adam Page is Magnum TA and Archer is not just 911 but Brody -- a good Brody.

Brody never laid down though.