DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 2/9/22

As far as the Switchblade name earlier, Sami Callihan was in a tag team called Switchblade Conspiracy for a while, but they split when his partner got signed. Jay White took the name when Sami wasn’t using it anymore.

The other guy in the team was Jon Moxley.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Can the US Title only be defended in the US?

Was the European Title only defended in Europe?

Can the IC Title only be defended outside of North America?
(Intercontinental means between continents, while Intraconteninental would be only inside of one continent).

The answer to all three is no. And the same logical answer applies to if the TBS Title has to be defended on TBS / TNT Title on TNT.

Weird hangup lol.

They named the titles after the actual networks and to promote the Dynamite move to TBS. Not my fault.

This shows felt more chaotic and unexpected than most AEW shows, it’s nice breaking their structure from time to time.

I thought Jay White was gonna be Isaiah’s opponent and they had just blown the surprise a minute earlier so was happy to see Lee come out. 

Cutler’s comment about “I read something on Reddit” made me lol.

People surprised at Santana on the mic, but if you go back and watch any IC segment he was always the one other guy apart from Jericho who would get some serious mic time. Both he and Ortiz came off as bad asses for the first time in ages and they definitely should be the next champs, it’s way way way overdue.

I was expecting Punk’s partner to be either Colt or Danhausen. Wasn’t very excited when it was Mox even tho he made for a better match. This match felt like the whole show, chaotic and unpredictable in the best way.

That main event was fun and brutal stuff, I love violent sprints where guys don’t take ages setting up or teasing big spots, they just go ahead and do it, no fucks given.

I thought Hangman was gonna do the Buckshot off the steps because I remember seeing him do that to Flip Gordon on a random silly BTE skit years ago and I thought it was extremely impressive. That and the bump on the steps were crazy shit.

I’d like to see where they go with Cola and Hangman because this is the first time they interact since Cole died. I have no doubt Hangman will win if they face off in the PPV but it should be fun.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 5

38 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Keith Lee in a promotion where Mark Henry and Big Show have active roles behind the scenes can only be a good thing.  I’ve got a good feeling about this.

Give me Miro v Lee to determine King of The Modern Day Hosses please TK

I was thinking Lee should skip the TNT title and go straight for the main, but the idea of Big Show and Henry betting on guys who answer open challenges would be shweet. It can start with JD Drake, then move on to Bojack, Broner, Hoodfoot, Ron Bass. Eventually bring in Trevor Murdoch and let them go to an honorable TLD. Just when he and Murdoch are gonna shake hands, out comes God's Own Singer or whatever he's called. Miro vs Lee should be saved for a rainy day and then for many rainy seasons after that. Once Lee has proven to be King of the Monsters, then move him into the title picture and see how he gets along with the ninjas and dangerous small folks.

Here's to Keith Lee's health because I can see him sticking around for a long, long time.

Edited by Horatio
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, AxB said:

As far as the Switchblade name earlier, Sami Callihan was in a tag team called Switchblade Conspiracy for a while, but they split when his partner got signed. Jay White took the name when Sami wasn’t using it anymore.

The other guy in the team was Jon Moxley.

This may all be true and factual, but the name is now taken and owned.  As far as King Switch is concerned Mox is lower on the NJPW pecking order and he's kinda just fucking around in America til he can get back to his throne and further antagonize Okada.  I'm not sure he even knows who Sami Callihan is

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Keith Lee in a promotion where Mark Henry and Big Show have active roles behind the scenes can only be a good thing.  I’ve got a good feeling about this.

Give me Miro v Lee to determine King of The Modern Day Hosses please TK

Was it JR who said Keith Lee was like a young Mark Henry? 

Other Hoss fights include Lee vs. Hobbs (really want to see this) and Lee vs. Bears Bronson and Boulder.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

This may all be true and factual, but the name is now taken and owned.  As far as King Switch is concerned Mox is lower on the NJPW pecking order and he's kinda just fucking around in America til he can get back to his throne and further antagonize Okada.  I'm not sure he even knows who Sami Callihan is

Come on, now. Everyone knows who Sammi Callihan is.

6 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Other Hoss fights include Lee vs. Hobbs (really want to see this) and Lee vs. Bears Bronson and Boulder.

I could see him dropping a title to Hobbs. He might be ready by that time and could use the rub. Really can't see him dropping a secondary title to just anyone.

Edited by Horatio
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, JLowe said:

him and Brock was right there, it blew the roof off in a Rumble!

this is one of the biggest misses from Vince, the iron was hot with K-Lee and he for whatever fucking reason didn't strike it.  In a hoss promotion where he's decided to build around Brock and Goldberg for big matches, and Roman who is way more than just hoss matches, but fuck.....

I'm rooting for Keith Lee to succeed hard, because it would be the biggest organic FU to the WWE possible.  Like, this dude has it, all we need to do is put him on tv and let him do his thing.  I'd be lying tho if I said I'm not worried about his size/health.  He's at that age and he's had a lot of injuries, can he hold up to the demands of being a top guy at this point?  I hope he can, but I wouldn't have put him in a ladder match right off the bat, just for example.  He needs to be protected and booked around for a while, and he really hasn't wrestled much on TV at all in a couple years.  We all love his NXT run but the pandemic has warped my perception of time for sure, that was a long time ago.....

• Like 6

With the health issues he had earlier this year I have do issues with him appearing heavier than people are used to like others seemed to. He seems to be in a much better place professionally and personally now so I believe he will probably work on trimming down and getting back to doing some of the athletic things he was able to do before but on the plus side, I believe he should focus on strictly the power stuff and not do any of it at all .

• Like 2

I mentioned on twitter how Santana is a low key good promo after his mic work last.  This and his promo on mox mentioning father's blindness are both really good.  I'm hoping this is leading towards a more focused tag push for them as when they got signed you were expecting them to be a marquee team but didn't pan out and the FTR feud never really got off the ground after cash got that freak injury.

• Like 2

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
3 hours ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Where does the name Biel throw come from? I've only ever heard it referenced as a Bradley Beal by Excalibur and I wondered how the hell he would even know who that is - as he doesn't strike me as a basketball fan... and it's not like Brad Beal is a huge household name. When can we expect the Tayshaun Prince?

Excalibur once referenced Shake Milton on commentary, so... yeah. He's a basketball fan.

As for Bob Cook, he's got a great left-handed punch but I don't need to hear his OPINIONZ~! on anything. Hearing loudmouthed WCW jobbers trying to explain how the business should work in 2022 was tiresome when Rip Rogers tried to make it a thing, but at least he had the resume of doing territory work and being a trainer in OVW back when they were the WWE developmental group. Bob Cook... well he's got that punch.

I think last night's show was paced a lot better. I do think there is an issue with consistency though. Like I'm not sure what's happening with Cody, Brandi, Lambert. I'm not saying they need to continue the angle, but they had that big setup last week and virtually no followup, other than Lambert is supporting Lance Archer. 

But I think most everything was spaced out and evened out nicely instead of massively front-loading the show. This week felt a little more balanced. 

I do think Jade should be on Dynamite more if only to squash some jobbers for a few minutes. Jade is money, plain and simple. 

Everyone was panicking over the numbers last week. I think this week is why you need to stop panicking. TV landscape is weird business right now. Sometimes the ratings will be up, sometimes they'll be down. That's just how it is. As long as AEW keeps maintaining and servicing their main viewing base, I think they will be OK the next few years. 

Not saying last week was an anomaly, but this going to be a continuing ongoing thing. Last week's show wasn't a bad show either. Punk vs. MJF was a fantastic match, and the ending was perfect IMO.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

Great show. I’ve been out of the loop for a wee while, checking in sporadically, but what a good night to get back on the wagon.

Loads of fun moments throughout, but  the kick I got from a Doomsday Device by Jon Moxley and CM f’n Punk in 2022 was one of those ‘the wrestling gods have really smiled on us the last year’ times.

Also, my Dad joke muscles were twitching when I realised they weren’t in Memphis but Isiah got at least 10 feet off of that Biel…

• Like 3

19 hours ago, The Natural said:

FLMxSHCVkAQIgKm?format=jpg&name=large

*Record scratch* *Freeze frame*  Yup, that's me. You're probably wondering how I got into this situation…

All I could think of is that autotune Tiktok sound of, Ooooh that brother's floating in the air. How could his hands do this? Aww somebody get him out the air!

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/0Mkc8jSFEkU

Edited by Shadow

19 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

With the health issues he had earlier this year I have do issues with him appearing heavier than people are used to like others seemed to. He seems to be in a much better place professionally and personally now so I believe he will probably work on trimming down and getting back to doing some of the athletic things he was able to do before but on the plus side, I believe he should focus on strictly the power stuff and not do any of it at all .

Agreed on his game being based on power, because just look at the dude, he's massive.  The high spots are the icing on the cake, and he shouldn't be doing it all the time.  But honestly, the weirdest thing about how Vince time warped to the 1950's with Keith was that he was already working that style in NXT more or less.  The highspot matches with Djiakovic stuck out, but everyone was so much smaller than him there, he was tossing people around left and right and he'd do his highspots after he'd decimated dudes with his power, which is a style that absolutely works in America, see:  Vader, The Man They Call

Given how odd Vince has become over the years, I could see this just being a thing where Vince didn't vibe with him, didn't like the cut of his jib and decided he'd never make it in his promotion.  Too much soul power, not enough ruthless agression?  I've given up on trying to carry water for WWE anymore

FWIW, I listened to Meltzer and Alvarez and they didn't know how Hangman got busted open because it was in PIP and they didn't pay attention

I did.  Archer took the hook from the turnbuckle/ropes, admired it, checked how sharp it was, and proceeded to mutilate his opponent with it, as one does in a Texas DEath Match ?

• Like 6

1 minute ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

FWIW, I listened to Meltzer and Alvarez and they didn't know how Hangman got busted open because it was in PIP and they didn't pay attention

I did.  Archer took the hook from the turnbuckle/ropes, admired it, checked how sharp it was, and proceeded to mutilate his opponent with it, as one does in a Texas DEath Match ?

I saw that was what he was doing but assumed that they don't do those kind of things so much these days outside of the real hardcore death match places.

1 minute ago, JLowe said:

I saw that was what he was doing but assumed that they don't do those kind of things so much these days outside of the real hardcore death match places.

I rewatched it over and over to see if Hanger bladed b4 that spot, difficult to do with the PIP, and I'm pretty sure he just trusted Lance to carve him up there ?