DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 2/9/22

12 minutes ago, SturmCRF said:

That stair Blackout was definitely incredibly dangerous, so many ways it could have gone wrong. It looked awesome, but I popped out of relief that Hangman was alive and seemed to retain full motor control of all his limbs more than excitement for the move itself.

Poor fucker bounced from the stairs into the post. You don't normally see wrestlers bounce like that.

• Like 2

Just now, For Great Justice said:

Yeah they clearly didn’t account for the bounce when they walked through that spot. I thought Hangman broke the hell out of his wrist on the post 

I think Hangman thought that too. There was a brief shot where he was holding his wrist and move his fingers as if to make sure everything was ok.

Hangman, we love you dude. You're an awesome champion. You don't have to keep killing yourself for everyone.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Fans with "gimmicks" is my least favorite thing in pro wresting right now.

Anyhoo, man, what a fun show!  My son totally lost his shit when Lee yeeted Cassidy across the ring.  That's the kind of thing that sticks in a kid's mind.  He won't forget that any time soon.

I am shocked in that I thought the Inner Circle segment was really strong.  I can't remember the last time a group breaking up wasn't just one (or two) of them suddenly jumping the others.  It's actually good storytelling that PnP would lay out their issues to Jericho and not just attack him out of nowhere.  IC is supposed to be "family", so they at least tried to talk it out.  Who knows, maybe I just liked that they didn't really let Jericho talk?

• Like 11

Great show!

Who knew Santana and, to a somewhat lesser extent, Ortiz, were that good on the mic?

LOOOOOL at MJF thanking Spears for helping him win due to his warmup skills!  I saw that one coming but it was still excellent.  Punk challenging Wardlow by saying "I want a rematch with the guy who beat me last week" was so good.

How many of you were with me hoping against hope that Punk's partner was Colt?  I'm just a sap rooting for friendship.  

I rewinded that Buckshot 4 times.  So awesome.  Just an amazing match.

Hangman bouncing off the steps was legit scary.  He came this close to bouncing off the ringpost and then BACK to the corner of the steps, which would have really sucked.

The arena stairs opposite the hard cam, leading from the floor to the mezzanine, were the entrance steps for Mania 4, weren't they?  I liked all the odd camera angles where you could see the Boardwalk arena's cool arched ceiling.  It's so cool that AEW doesn't try to make every building look exactly the same.

I feel bad for anyone stuck in WWE, especially big stars like Steen and Zayn who just re-upped, watching debuts like Keith Lee's.  These guys are getting tossed from the Rumble by Cocaine: The Person and doing dumb gimmick angles with Johnny Knoxville (in that order) while Lee is made out to be a big deal and becomes a big star in 5 minutes.  I mean I guess if your only goal is making money, it's cool, but damn.

Do I remember correctly that Jay White and Sami Callihan were both up for the "Switchblade" gimmick, in a modern Leon White/Jim Hellwig situation?  Well in both cases, things definitely worked for the best.

In addition to all the sign talk and talk of morons just trying to get themselves over...ringside fans: stop holding up random Fatheads only to amuse yourselves, dicks.  Some dude was holding a pic of a guy who looked like James Ellsworth spent six days at Golden Corral and it was distracting and stupid.

Please my lord and savior Jesus Christ let the Inner Circle be splitting up.  That segment was so much better than I expected but I've had my fill of team meetings, parlays, war councils, circle jerks, etc.

Props to whoever mentioned that JR was so hyped about Lee because he's exactly "the type of guy" Bill Watts would push to the moon for all the Bill Watts reasons.

Forget the Doomsday Device...FTR whipped out the Veg-O-Matic!

PENTAGON DARK IS COMING

Excalibur calling a Biel throw "a Bradley Beal throw" never gets old.

I loved how they set up a "Stone Cold break glass" entrance for Archer just to use it for a gimmick.

I keep forgetting to mention how Jade's "AYY THTORM........ITH COMING" read before her music is flatter and more lifeless than the computer who did Luke's voice in Mandalorian.  I've had robocalls that were more convincingly human than Jade's promos.

If Tint Tiny Man Adam Cole wins the title, they need to just give him the old Women's belt.  

JAKE hitting the short arm and then going for the DDT due to muscle memory was tremendous.

Jealous Danielson being just PISSED that Mox teamed with Punk while his offer was unanswered and hanging in limbo is going to be GREAT.

Cole sowing discord in the Elite is woderful.  Gotta love AEW's commmitment to storylines.

Fuck yeah AEW.

• Like 5

Just now, Technico Support said:

Who knew Santana and, to a somewhat lesser extent, Ortiz, were that good on the mic?

Santana showed his greatness when Mox "blinded" him in one eye in the early Dynamite days.

• Like 5

I didn't expect barbed wire and glass in Adam Page vs. Lance Archer. Barbed wire looked real, right? That's one of the most violent AEW matches ever with Thunder Rosa/Britt Baker in Lights Out (AEW Dynamite, 17th March 2021) and Anna Jay/Tay Conti vs. The Bunny/Penelope Ford (AEW Rampage, 31st December 2021). It's also made my updated Best AEW Matches Ever list.

Oh shit, forgot to mention... Andrade intentionally avoiding saying "Sting" in front of Sting because it sounds like "stin(g)k" when he says it. He's even doing it in tweets. TNT Champion, pleeeeease.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

I think the feedback on Hangman's early defenses and the Archer/Kane comp are interesting. Hangman's run feels different in that there isn't that obvious program for the title going into it. It was always going to be Jericho->Mox, Mox->Omega, Omega->Hangman. Those were multi-month/year storylines and it's similar to how Baker/Rosa is clearly the end game for the women's title.

I wouldn't say Jericho->Mox was a forgone conclusion from the start. There was legitimate uncertainty whether Cody was going to beat Jericho for the belt, for one thing.

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

I'm not really down with how Adam Cole got this spot. It doesn't feel organic, as much as it feels like "well the internet says Adam Cole is the next challenger". Hangman really needs an organic nemesis, and I don't know who that is until Omega comes back. I get that the answer is sort of the Bucks and Cole is with the Bucks, but it doesn't work for me. 

Well, Jericho beat Page in the first ever AEW world title match, so they really should run Jericho as a challenger at some point. But I doubt he has enough left in the tank to be a long-term nemesis.

Other than that, Miro is presumably coming back at some point, and I doubt very much that Brian Danielson is finished with Page forever. So there are options.

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

Who is Bob Cook? This looks like some r/scjerk bullshit.

Well, Bob Cook was a respected enhancement talent in NWA/WCW late 80s-early 90s. Not sure if that's the same Bob Cook.

I saw Bearcat, White, and Wardlow’s muscle titties

So meet me tonight in Atlantic City. 

The upper deck was fairly empty; Boardwalk Hall seats 10k and there was probably somewhere between 8 and 9 in the building. We were handed autographs for donating cans to the food drive. I got Tay and my brother got either Jim Ross or Nyla Rose, we’re not sure because it was pretty illegible.

They had a quintessential Dark taping with a Dark Order ten-man and a women’s trios match. Zack Clayton wrestled, and most of the Jersey Shore crew were front row for support. I got to see a Dr. Luther/Mike the Situation stare-down; don’t tease us with a dream match and then not deliver, TK. Nothing else stuck out except Anna Jay and Nyla almost dying during the trios when Anna came up short on a moonsault to the outside and kneed Nyla in the head. Both looked okay after the match. 

TK was out to whip up the crowd a few times, and it seemed like he saw Shane at the Rumble and said I’ll have what he’s having. 

It feels like MJF has arrived. The opening segment reminded me of Angle’s celebration the first time he won the WWE title. I think the cruel edgelord stuff has been diluted a bit by some welcome goofiness. I love the Pinnacles love for each other. 

The crowd was not disappointed at all with Keith Lee being the surprise. My brother was because he’d never seen Lee work, but 30 seconds into the match with Kassidy he said he had a new favorite wrestler. 

The secret vip of Dynamite is the woman in production who among other things set up and took down stuff like the Private Party velvet rope and caught all of Sammy’s signs as he tossed them off camera.

Kip Sabian was on the floor wearing the box the entire night.

Santana and Ortiz carried the Inner Circle segment and it wasn’t the slog I expected.

After the rookie challenge someone shouted, “I wouldn’t last five minutes with Serena Deeb either.” 

I don’t know if it was noticeable on tv, but Paul Turner was getting Final Destination’d the entire main event. Archer nearly took out his eye twice by accident, once with the kendo stick and then again with the fork. 

The asshole with the signs held up one during the Bucks match on Rampage that said You’re Jordans Are Fake, and the people around him roasted him for  mispelling Your and he knocked it off the rest of the show.

As far as Rampage

Spoiler

Both tag matches were great, particularly Roppongi Vice vs The Bucks. They got the crowd back after we were pretty fried from Dynamite and had to wait a half hour while they cleaned up the ring from the blood bath.

Britt had a match with Robin Renegade that went too long, and they teased the Thunder Rosa program again with a run-in as well as dissension between Hayter and Mercedes Martinez that Britt had to squash. Hook beat one of the QT Factory kids. He came off like one of the biggest stars on the entire card.

There was a spot during the tag title match where a bunch of plants on hard cam caught one of the Ass Boys after Luchasaurus lawn darted him. It was interesting to see how they set it up; they had Marq Quen bring them up to the front row and speak with security like he was hooking a bunch of his boys up with good seats. 

We’re already discussing going to the Philly show in April.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

12 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I feel bad for anyone stuck in WWE, especially big stars like Steen and Zayn who just re-upped, watching debuts like Keith Lee's.  These guys are getting tossed from the Rumble by Cocaine: The Person and doing dumb gimmick angles with Johnny Knoxville (in that order) while Lee is made out to be a big deal and becomes a big star in 5 minutes.  I mean I guess if your only goal is making money, it's cool, but damn.

Why would you feel sorry for Zayn or Owens for signing a new big fat contract. They could have easily gotten a nice offer, I would assume from AEW. Owens never really comes across as unhappy or gives the boo boo face like Sasha who I'm a big fan of by the way. Zayn especially Owens were Hunter's people and he's seemingly out of favor and these guys still chose to resign so why would you feel sorry for them because they seen very content. I would easily not be surprised if I were to hear Sasha or one of the other horsewomen voice displeasure about things creatively. There's alot less options for top spots Women outside of WWE so i understand but it bugs me when people say that. As much as a love Bryan Danielson, I wouldn't feel sorry for him if he resigned with WWE instead of working with guys outside of the WWE especially considering his relationship with Vince  now I'm sure he could come back to WWE when his contract is up and have a job for life 

• Like 2