DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 2/9/22

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Jay White took over leadership of Bullet Club when Kenny and the Elite were kicked out. White had previously turned down Kenny's offer to join BC and instead joined Chaos.

It's gonna take a lot of banging on the drum to convince the casuals, but Jay White is about as big a pickup as any company on Earth could make.  A legitimate World Champion, the first ever NJPW Grand Slam winner, has main evented both the Tokyo Dome and a sold-out Madison Square Garden, and he isn't even thirty. To say the sky's the limit is overestimating the sky.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Not sure why they would expose their secondary women’s champion so openly on TV like that.

That's sort of their MO with Jade for some reason. I thought it was a really good showcase for both women until they fucked up the finish.

Holy fuck that was a good tag match.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

It's gonna take a lot of banging on the drum to convince the casuals, but Jay White is about as big a pickup as any company on Earth could make.  A legitimate World Champion, the first ever NJPW Grand Slam winner, has main evented both the Tokyo Dome and a sold-out Madison Square Garden, and he isn't even thirty. To say the sky's the limit is overestimating the sky.

I have something to look forward to then! I was taping the NJPW shows a few years ago so Omega and the Bucks (and Rocky Romero) are familiar but I eventually stopped keeping up.

1 minute ago, JLowe said:

I have something to look forward to then! I was taping the NJPW shows a few years ago so Omega and the Bucks (and Rocky Romero) are familiar but I eventually stopped keeping up.

If you want to get back into New Japan, then New Japan World is the best 10 bucks a month you can spend. 

• Like 2

If Tony Khan didn't carnie overhype the shit out of this show, Keith Lee and Jay White's debuts would've been a lot more pleasantly surprising.

Not to mention, multiple internet outlets spoiled Keith Lee's debut. Jay White's debut was spoiled by Meltzer on Tuesday.

Thankfully, I ignored the internet, so I popped for White (Who I guessed was the one coming through the Forbidden Door since it was announced) and Lee. On a side note, Jericho's botox in the show after Dynamite was ridiculously awful.

Edited by Ace
  • Like 5

Oh yeah, Santana was goddamned great tonight.  Talking cash shit to Jericho, grabbing him by the throat when he disrespected PnP, and then mugging to the camera when Jericho was responding.  PnP had better go over next week because they looked like stars here.

Jake Hager shouldn't be allowed to dress himself for TV.  Purple highwaters what the fuck dude?

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

If Tony Khan didn't carnie overhype the shit out of this show, Keith Lee and Jay White's debuts would've been a lot more pleasantly surprising.

Not to mention, multiple internet outlets spoiled Keith Lee's debut. Jay White's debut was spoiled by Meltzer on Tuesday.

So: You went looking for spoilers, and now you're angry because the surprises were spoiled? 

Seems reasonable ?

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

I fucking loved that main event.  That's Archer at his best, the legit crazy unhinged and dangerous madman who ran roughshod all over Japan.  That hardway gusher he gave Page from the hook on the turnbuckle!  The blackout to the outside on the fucking steps!!!!!!  I legit made an audible sound I rarely make watching rasslin anymore and thought he was broken in half by gawd!!! That was ugly live.  Loved the Jake spot outside.  Loved the finish.  Loved everything about this.  My first thought was that between the two Danielson matches and this Page is putting in early work for WOTY, he killed himself in this one and I loved every second of it

Now that King Switch has arrived, shit done changed.  Jay White is my guy.  He was on the verge of megastardom in Japan pre-pandemic, I'm super psyched to see him show up in AEW.  It felt inevitable with him in the states after COVID restrictions between Japan and New Zealand really fucked him over.  I think he's legit top 5 in the world right now all-around, there's nothing he isn't really fucking good at, biggest addition since Danielson IMO

Great show, hopefully this is a big momentum builder

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

So: You went looking for spoilers, and now you're angry because the surprises were spoiled? 

Seems reasonable ?

A person need not be actively searching for spoilers to find them.

On the other hand, spoiler culture is trash and is ruining everything so GET HIM. 

• Haha 1

Was Punk/Mox v. FTR the best unadvertised match in AEW history?  I felt dumb for not knowing who his partner would be.  Punk did little jumping jacks when he got down to ringside and I actually thought it might be AmDrag for a second.  Why the hell not?  Mox was perfect.  Such a fun match, so much going on, worth a rewatch tomorrow.  Off the top of my head I loved Mox going for an atomic drop, blind tag, hits the move, gets grabbed from behind with a headlock, Saito fucking suplex!  Punk was next level selling his knee, I settled on legit tweak combined with great work.  The selling on his lower back post-match after Tully didn't go up for the GTS for the first time was real as shit tho ?

• Like 4