DVDVR Message Board

The Ringer Matches of the Week

4 minutes ago, Phil Schneider said:

I think this is the third Masha match I have reviewed ?

IMPACT Masha!  Is what I meant.  Is this the first IMPACT! match to make it?

Can we take a quick second to appreciate the fact that Phil's column exists. We currently have a pretty major online publication that dedicates space weekly to breakdowns of sometimes very-niche pro wrestling matches. Not breakdowns that are "dumbed-down" for maximum consumption, but detailed, well-thought-out breakdowns looking hard at things like pro wrestling psychology and how it differs between promotions and countries. While 99% of pro wrestling content on mainstream sites is "Top 10 Attitude Era Shocking Moments!" or whatever bullshit, we get this. I don't think we should take it for granted.

• Like 15

42 minutes ago, Phil Schneider said:

I went five deep this week, including FTR vs. Aussie Open and some live lucha

https://www.theringer.com/wwe/2022/10/17/23409348/orange-cassidy-pac-aew-all-atlantic-championship-match-best-matches

I was thinking today as I watched Aussie Open/FTR that the THREE big matches this year- Briscoes, Briscoes and Aussie Open-  I don't know if they would have worked as well on an AEW show.  The heat of the ROH crowd and the INSANE heat of the RevPro crowd were the main thing that propelled those matches to greatness.  AEW crowds are better than WWE crowds but they aren't total hardcore crowds. They would get behind FTR but they wouldn't know what to make of the Briscoes or Aussie Open as challengers.  That was the difference with those three matches- the crowd knew both teams well enough to know that it should a spectacle and a real fistfight.  I don't see it going as well in any other setting- unless AEW really built it up by getting Aussie Open over, which AEW doesn't usually do well.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DEAN said:

I was thinking today as I watched Aussie Open/FTR that the THREE big matches this year- Briscoes, Briscoes and Aussie Open-  I don't know if they would have worked as well on an AEW show.  The heat of the ROH crowd and the INSANE heat of the RevPro crowd were the main thing that propelled those matches to greatness.  AEW crowds are better than WWE crowds but they aren't total hardcore crowds. They would get behind FTR but they wouldn't know what to make of the Briscoes or Aussie Open as challengers.  That was the difference with those three matches- the crowd knew both teams well enough to know that it should a spectacle and a real fistfight.  I don't see it going as well in any other setting- unless AEW really built it up by getting Aussie Open over, which AEW doesn't usually do well.  

I'm not sure I totally agree with you but I am certain that it's a totally valid, well expressed opinion and that the world's better off for that opinion being in it.

• Like 1

Phil, I'm pretty openly skeptical of Penta as a top wrestler because I've only seen what you mentioned, and was a little down on him being the guy to unmask a legend like Villiano IV, but from your review it sounds like he knew he had to wrestle A fitting tribute and did so. I need to make some time to check it out. 

1 hour ago, Phil Schneider said:

Ilja Dragunov and Bron Breakker are must watch guys.

I desperately need these two to have a singles match. Feels like they could top Bron/Bate from WC with just how intense they got at times.

• Like 1

Roman/Paul is the match I feared might eventually happen when I started avoiding these Saudi ppvs. It sounds so damn good. Happy to see Rey/GUNTHER get an honorable mention. That was my favorite Rey match in years, probably since one of his matches against Andrade. I really hope NJPW puts FTR vs. Cobb/O'Khan on AXS.

2 hours ago, Phil Schneider said:

Bootleg that shit, then you won't be giving them any money or quantifiable eyeballs

I pay for Peacock so its more the latter I'm trying to avoid. And yeah I probably will do just that because it just sounds too damn good.