DVDVR Message Board

February 2022 - Professional Wrestling Omnibus Discussion

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
11 minutes ago, AxB said:

Alec Price is billed as "Making his winter residence in Intercourse, Pennsylvania", RIGHT NOW.

/me sadly shakes her head, makes another notch in her book, and mutters "this is why we can't have nice things" under her breath.

19 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

From personal experience, downtown Newark and Newark in general is pretty scary. 

The 7-11 by Newark Penn Station closes at 8pm and I think that says it all. That area looks like a scene from a zombie apocalypse film with waves of vagrants wandering drugged out of their minds. I remember a few years back before a Red Bulls match a friend of mine saw a guy dying of an OD on the sidewalk outside that 7-11 and got the police to come and save his life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

I'd love if someone did a 90s gimmick where they incorporated random songs into their introduction. Like being announced as being from, "outside a broken phone booth with money in his hand" or "just got back from having breakfast at Tiffanys".

He could cut a promo about how he gets knocked down, but he gets up again.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, sabremike said:

The 7-11 by Newark Penn Station closes at 8pm and I think that says it all. That area looks like a scene from a zombie apocalypse film with waves of vagrants wandering drugged out of their minds. I remember a few years back before a Red Bulls match a friend of mine saw a guy dying of an OD on the sidewalk outside that 7-11 and got the police to come and save his life.

I chose not to go to the TBS debut of Dynamite because it was in Newark. I went to the Newark show last September and felt so uneasy about relapsing the entire night. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Swift said:

A quick google tells me that according to Kane's book Vince liked Decatur (Decay-tour) whereas Finkel had suggested The Needles mountain range in Washington.

The latter probably wouldn't have been a good idea after the Zahorian stuff. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

purely personal taste of course, but I've always considered Zodiac's hometown of "The Land Of Yin And Yang" to be firmly in the so stupid it's brilliantly hilarious category.

much like my feelings on Zodiac in general.  Wrestling at it's most amusingly stupid.  Perhaps actually my favorite Ed Leslie iteration after all?

5 hours ago, Mister TV said:

The Million Dollar Man's seasonal residences were something I don't think modern day WWE would even think of, they'd use something corny like Fort Knox, Kentucky or Wall Street. Off the top of my head I know his winter residence was the Netherland Antilles and his summer was Hyannis Port, Massachusetts, can't remember the spring or fall.

it's another way in which the void left by The Fink has never truly been filled.  He was great at committing to those little details in an introduction, putting the right emphasis on "Making his winter residence in ____" trusting the audience's cultural context to infer what it needs to know about the character without A) spelling it out B) wasting time and energy by spelling it out unnecessarily.  If you just periodically change the home town over the course of the year, nobody gets the gag/character note by just coming to that show.  But you clearly pronounce a winter/summer/etc. residence, in contrast with the "normal" way you announce everyone else's hometown, you paint the portrait that much more clearly, even for a one time/first time viewer.  "Winter residence?  Oh, yeah, a rich fucker like him would have multiple homes."

"Bang the lamp" details the WWE figured out a long time ago that they didn't "need" to attend to, and thus stopped attending to.

• Like 9

10 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

it's another way in which the void left by The Fink has never truly been filled.  He was great at committing to those little details in an introduction, putting the right emphasis on "Making his winter residence in ____" trusting the audience's cultural context to infer what it needs to know about the character without A) spelling it out B) wasting time and energy by spelling it out unnecessarily.  If you just periodically change the home town over the course of the year, nobody gets the gag/character note by just coming to that show.  But you clearly pronounce a winter/summer/etc. residence, in contrast with the "normal" way you announce everyone else's hometown, you paint the portrait that much more clearly, even for a one time/first time viewer.  "Winter residence?  Oh, yeah, a rich fucker like him would have multiple homes."

"Bang the lamp" details the WWE figured out a long time ago that they didn't "need" to attend to, and thus stopped attending to.

Justin Roberts' book is really interesting in that you see just how little value WWE sees in those types of details. He'd try to add little things in or emphasize things and he'd get yelled at. Of course, they would also yell at him whenever he did things exactly the way they wanted as well. WWE is not a place I could work in as I just don't think I could put up with the constant belittling. He comes across as kind of a whiner at times in his book but most of the times his gripes are completely justified IMO.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

Justin Roberts' book is really interesting in that you see just how little value WWE sees in those types of details. He'd try to add little things in or emphasize things and he'd get yelled at. Of course, they would also yell at him whenever he did things exactly the way they wanted as well. WWE is not a place I could work in as I just don't think I could put up with the constant belittling. He comes across as kind of a whiner at times in his book but most of the times his gripes are completely justified IMO.

I met Justin during his WWE days and he was a really good dude.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

The funniest thing about this was she attacks Nattie and the crowd is just completely in Sasha's corner and then Lynch came out and Sasha wipes her out and leaves with a standing ovation. 

Sure fans missed The Boss but it's another example of WWE having zero popular babyfaces.. they just don't know how to book. 

• Like 1

On 2/6/2022 at 11:02 PM, John E. Dynamite said:

oh man how much time ya got?

After Daydream they got signed to Geffen and were part of the post-Nirvana cash grab where every label was looking for the next rando indie band to strike it rich - except Geffen were Nirvana's actual label and Kim was Kurt's actual friend and hero. So their deal allowed them pretty much all the freedom they wanted and they wound up making Goo and Dirty, which as far as I'm concerned are simultaneously nowhere close to as good as Daydream and Sister & total fucking classics in almost every sense, Goo moreso cause it's got a really good A side/B side thing going on and "Kool Thing" is eternal. Dirty seems like more of an intentional response to grunge, but the songs are there. I think "Sugar Kane" is Thurston's best pop song.

Washing Machine is major, major, major, the right kind of realization that you're a band that can headline Lolapalooza and have 0% of the Pearl Jam jocks give a shit. Kim Deal on a Shangri-La's tribute, a song written in entirely diminished chords, two real good spoken-word Lee tracks, a 19-minute closer than actually earns it. Murray Street is their jam band album with the biggest Lee noise-epic they ever recorded and two killer Kim tracks at the end and would have a perfect band member-to-band member flow if they just jettisoned the last Thurston song. Rather Ripped is their "song record" and I immediately take back my statement about "Sugar Kane" and name "Incinerate" as Thurston's best pop song.

They don't really have a bad record, just some whole-is-less-than-the-sum records when they were looking for the next thing to do. Sonic Nurse and A Thousand Leaves are probably the best of the ones I didn't mention. Lot of solo records and experimental weirdo stuff.  Don't want to get into that too much but if you think Confusion is Sex is cool (it is) then I really like SYR8: Andre Sider af Sonic Youth. It's a sixty-minute piece where musicians enter every five minutes and leave every five minutes after the halfway point. Very Royal Rumble. They perform it with supergreat Scandi Skronk Sax dude Mats Gustafsson and the-most-important-harsh-noise-guy-ever Merzbow. I have always absolutely loved it.

that's a lot of words that aren't about wrestling so i apologize, that's all.

Follow up: I listened to all of Goo at home and about half of Dirty in the car so far. Dig both of them, Goo maybe a bit more. Dirty does feel like a more conventional record but it's still got all the guitar spuzz you know and love. 

Anyway, wrestling haha

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kafkonia said:

How long has WWE.com been spoiling their own tapings? Is it just to make sure people tune in next Friday even though it's taped? (I'm not specifying details in case other people don't want it spoiled.)

I can remember them doing it at various points in time, but two that stick out for me are the Kurt Angle title switch on an '03 Smackdown and Mick Foley's first title win in Worcester that aired 1/4/99 (not sure of the taping date).

22 hours ago, sabremike said:

I used to live in a suburb near Newark and I would take the bus there then take the train to New Brunswick when I was at Rutgers. The area outside isn't... the worst (other parts of Newark are certainly worse). I knew to stay inside though, preferably around the main concourse.

Anyway so one semester I developed god awful anxiety attacks and there were days my step dad would drop me off at the train station since he worked nearby. So one day I'm not feeling 100% and try to tough it out but I'm waiting for my train and my anxiety just goes into overdrive, I call him up saying "I can't do this today, please come pick me up." So I run outside to get some air to calm down and someone notices I'm clearly in awful shape. So he talks me down for a minute then says I swear to whatever God you believe in he says to me....

"Yeah I can see you're not doing that great, well allow me introduce myself, my name is Biscuit, I'm a hustler, I got what you need" and the offered to sell me crack.

Edited by Nineteen
missed detail
  • Haha 8

9 hours ago, Infinit said:

I met Justin during his WWE days and he was a really good dude.

That's cool. He does seem like a very nice guy in his book as well and he seemed to genuinely care about the fans. I liked how he wanted to take over being the live event coordinator to ensure that the fans had a good experience. There were times where I'm like, "dude, just let that go" when I was reading his book but the times where I was like, "fuck that, I'd have just told that guy to fuck himself, veteran or whatever or just hit that fucking guy" far outnumber the former. He put up with way more bullshit than I would've tolerated so kudos to him on that.

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 3

On 2/11/2022 at 2:19 PM, Mister TV said:

The Million Dollar Man's seasonal residences were something I don't think modern day WWE would even think of, they'd use something corny like Fort Knox, Kentucky or Wall Street. Off the top of my head I know his winter residence was the Netherland Antilles and his summer was Hyannis Port, Massachusetts, can't remember the spring or fall.

Tyler Breeze in NXT did the seasonal residence thing pretty much until he got called up to the main roster.

• Like 4

I love YouTube videos fans make of awesome matches. Or even the produced feud recaps. Sometimes I’ll be more in the mood for like a greatest parts of match music video and go through a bunch of them then focus on a full match. 

On 2/12/2022 at 7:19 AM, Mister TV said:

I swear they did the seasonal thing for Tyler Breeze in early NXT...

On 2/11/2022 at 4:29 PM, Mister TV said:

Really? I always thought it was just England when he was in the British Bulldogs then Leeds, England when he was a single.

In a promo for Summerslam at Wembley, he quite clearly describes London as his hometown, which is complete nonsense.

On 2/11/2022 at 4:26 PM, Swift said:

A quick google tells me that according to Kane's book Vince liked Decatur (Decay-tour) whereas Finkel had suggested The Needles mountain range in Washington.

Guessing Pullman (either Chicago or Washington) didn’t make the shortlist. There’s a Decatur in Tennessee if they wanted it to make sense that Yankem was with Lawler. Of course Decatur, TN isn’t anywhere close to Memphis. But.