DVDVR Message Board

February 2022 - Professional Wrestling Omnibus Discussion

I remember the Apter mags riffing on the WWF saying Warrior was from Parts Unknown when they (PWI) had him from Queens for years. I think it was a Matt Brock or Eddie Ellner article where they said something like, "Queens isn't the nicest neighborhood and you probably don't want to find it but it's not exactly Parts Unknown."

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I'm waiting for a wrestler to be announced as hailing from "South Detroit."

I seem to recall Hoodfoot Mo Atlas being announced as "from everywhere and nowhere, by way of your local bodega."

In ROH, Alex Shelley was billed from Southwest Detroit, MI.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

I remember the Apter mags riffing on the WWF saying Warrior was from Parts Unknown when they (PWI) had him from Queens for years. I think it was a Matt Brock or Eddie Ellner article where they said something like, "Queens isn't the nicest neighborhood and you probably don't want to find it but it's not exactly Parts Unknown."

I love how the Apter mags had certain things they just wouldn't play along with.  I just want to know how it came down to taking an editorial stand on Warrior being from Queens?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

In ROH, Alex Shelley was billed from Southwest Detroit, MI.

Well of course.  That's where ICP hail from as well!

I was making a bad Don't Stop Believin' reference, as there technically is no "South Detroit."  Detroit's eastern side is diagonal along the river, so if you go "south" from the middle or go east from the area known as Southwest Detroit, you're in Windsor, Canada.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, SturmCRF said:

Going back to someone saying Johnny B Badd confused a lot of people, I genuinely thought Macho Man Randy Savage was black from the ages of 5 when I started watching to around 18 or 19 when I read that he was actually of Jewish and Italian heritage.

I thought Taz(z) was African American until a couple of years ago (even knowing that this legal name is Peter Senerchia).

And regarding funny places to be billed from:

Isaac Yankeem was billed as being from Decatur, IL and Jim WhoHart as being from "who knows where".

Edited by Robert s
  • Like 2

Million Dollar Man Ted Dibiase's hometown changing throughout the year as he rotated through his seasonal residences was a clever touch. As was European Champion D-Lo Brown representing a different famous European city every week.

in the Eddie Gilbert vein there is of course Sid Vicious being from "anywhere he darn well pleases" and of course I'm going to point out that in the early years Jessie McKay was from the very Gilbertesque "Your Boyfriend's Wildest Dream"

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Million Dollar Man Ted Dibiase's hometown changing throughout the year as he rotated through his seasonal residences was a clever touch. As was European Champion D-Lo Brown representing a different famous European city every week.

in the Eddie Gilbert vein there is of course Sid Vicious being from "anywhere he darn well pleases" and of course I'm going to point out that in the early years Jessie McKay was from the very Gilbertesque "Your Boyfriend's Wildest Dream"

The Million Dollar Man's seasonal residences were something I don't think modern day WWE would even think of, they'd use something corny like Fort Knox, Kentucky or Wall Street. Off the top of my head I know his winter residence was the Netherland Antilles and his summer was Hyannis Port, Massachusetts, can't remember the spring or fall.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Log said:

I love how the Apter mags had certain things they just wouldn't play along with.  I just want to know how it came down to taking an editorial stand on Warrior being from Queens?  

I remember as an 8 year old proto-Smark being like,"right on PWI! We all know he's from Queens! That evil WWF and their wrestlers who don't know scientific holds can't fool me! I've seen it in your totally truthful magazine where you even have noted wrestling psychologist Sydney M. Basil on staff!" I'm pretty sure it was a snarky Eddie Ellner comment in his column which would be even funnier considering he was actually one of the real people who wrote for the magazine and not just one of Bill Apter or Stu Saks' hundred other pseudonyms.

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 4

I always liked Chilly Willy's bit of being announced from whatever town ECW was currently in to get cheap heat.  Or when Spanky was doing the masked gimmick on Velocity where he'd just be whatever the mascot of the local hockey team was.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BobbyWhioux said:

I'm surprised it took this long for the Sid one to come up (sorry if someone mentioned it before this and I missed it). That's by far the best one just because it matches the wrestler to a tee.

1 hour ago, Mister TV said:

The Million Dollar Man's seasonal residences were something I don't think modern day WWE would even think of, they'd use something corny like Fort Knox, Kentucky or Wall Street. Off the top of my head I know his winter residence was the Netherland Antilles and his summer was Hyannis Port, Massachusetts, can't remember the spring or fall.

I heard the Hyannis Port one last night. I think the missing one may have been in Florida or something. Maybe the Hamptons. Was that chic back then like it is now?

And to be fair, only WCW was corny enough to bill someone from Wall Street. I think Shark (John Tenta) was billed from Tsunami, which isn't an actual place. That's like being from breakfast burrito or from lawn chair. You can't be more lazy than that.

And as far as Wallstreet/IRS/*insert occupation* type stuff, WWF/E is corny enough to make it someone's gimmick. I mean Isaac Yankem, as stated above, got to be billed from a real place at least though.

2 hours ago, Mister TV said:

I think Palm Beach, FL was also one of DiBiase's seasonal residences.

Naturally, IRS was billed as being from Washington, DC. 

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

From my indie days, I came across at least a dozen dorks who thought hailing from "Intercourse, Pennsylvania" was clever.

I personally liked the kid who only wrestled maybe five or six matches but was a huge fan of the Nixons (the band, not Richard and his family), so his hometown was "somewhere between Baton Rouge and New Orleans".

19 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

From my indie days, I came across at least a dozen dorks who thought hailing from "Intercourse, Pennsylvania" was clever.

I personally liked the kid who only wrestled maybe five or six matches but was a huge fan of the Nixons (the band, not Richard and his family), so his hometown was "somewhere between Baton Rouge and New Orleans".

I'd love if someone did a 90s gimmick where they incorporated random songs into their introduction. Like being announced as being from, "outside a broken phone booth with money in his hand" or "just got back from having breakfast at Tiffanys".

1 hour ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Alec Price is billed as "Making his winter residence in Intercourse, Pennsylvania", RIGHT NOW.