DVDVR Message Board

February 2022 - Professional Wrestling Omnibus Discussion

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

This "creative has nothing for you" has to be some pathetic guilty excuse on their part for not even thinking about [X wrestler], and then deciding to do nothing anyway. You make up your own rules! How is THAT one of them?

i know it's been said a million times, but a performer's job is to PERFORM. a member of the creative team's job is to BE CREATIVE.

WWE must have gone through dozens of writers by now. how do we not get just an insane amount of batshit crazy stories about pitch meetings, and ideas, and changes/rewrites, and all that? i can only imagine how draining and exasperating it would be to be employed there with that job. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, twiztor said:

i know it's been said a million times, but a performer's job is to PERFORM. a member of the creative team's job is to BE CREATIVE.

Ding Ding Ding.  These assholes constantly undermine great performers with shitty creative, and then blame the performers for not making it work.  

• Like 6

PWInsider debunked the Asuka news. WWE has plans for Asuka, but no promo return and no build to her return.

Anyway soon we can put February 2022 into the dustbins of history. Next month we will discuss Hornswoggle and Finlay.

Edited by Blue Dragon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Here is a match that happened: The McGuire Twins (Benny McGuire & Billy McGuire) vs Kantaro Hoshino & Yoshiaki Fujiwara - February 7, 1978.

Aren't you glad you know this?

Footage of the McGuire Twins now exist!  Who knew?  They aren't as horrible as I assumed they would be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, twiztor said:

WWE must have gone through dozens of writers by now. how do we not get just an insane amount of batshit crazy stories about pitch meetings, and ideas, and changes/rewrites, and all that? i can only imagine how draining and exasperating it would be to be employed there with that job. 

We get little nuggets here and there but nothing too crazy. I might have mentioned this before but there's a guy that bartends in the neighborhood here and he was a writer for WWE in the late 2000s for like 9 months and he doesn't really talk about it too much and when he does, it's like he gets a weird flashback and changes the subject so I assume it's gotta be awful. Hell Dave Schilling only lasted a month or so and that was a dream job for him. 

• Like 2

When did the "take a bump on the edge of the ring" spot start? Feels like once a night whatever wrestling you watch, someone takes a bump on THE HARDEST PART OF THE RING and sometimes they lay and sell it then other times they pop up like nothing

And as frustrating as I'm starting to find this spot, I got to wondering who or when did this get started with?

IIRC i think I had a late 90s vhs comp of the matches of the year and Kobashi gives someone (can't remember who?) maybe. Dragon suplex or a half Nelson suplex onto the edge of the ring and I feel like it has to be someone before that (if I even remember the spot correctly which tbh I saw this match like 15 years back so its possible it was someone else doing the spot)

Edited by Hayabusa

16 minutes ago, Hayabusa said:

When did the "take a bump on the edge of the ring" spot start? Feels like once a night whatever wrestling you watch, someone takes a bump on THE HARDEST PART OF THE RING and sometimes they lay and sell it then other times they pop up like nothing

And as frustrating as I'm starting to find this spot, I got to wondering who or when did this get started with?

IIRC i think I had a late 90s vhs comp of the matches of the year and Kobashi gives someone (can't remember who?) maybe. Dragon suplex or a half Nelson suplex onto the edge of the ring and I feel like it has to be someone before that (if I even remember the spot correctly which tbh I saw this match like 15 years back so its possible it was someone else doing the spot)

I think almost every AEW match recently has had an apron bump spot of some kind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hayabusa said:

https://youtu.be/rGi4IcBPBHk I blame these two gentlemen! Around 10 minute mark!

2 hours ago, Hayabusa said:

Feels like once a night whatever wrestling you watch, someone takes a bump on THE HARDEST PART OF THE RING and sometimes they lay and sell it then other times they pop up like nothing

back during the Nitro era, my friends and i would wait for the "someone dives headfirst into the corner, but their opponent moves, so they hit the ringpost with their shoulder" spot because it happened at least once a night. i think the ring apron spots are today's version of that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

back during the Nitro era, my friends and i would wait for the "someone dives headfirst into the corner, but their opponent moves, so they hit the ringpost with their shoulder" spot because it happened at least once a night. i think the ring apron spots are today's version of that.

It still happens at least once a night and it still drives me nuts.

Also assuming the Asuka news is true... isn't this what happens whenever anyone is due back from a long term injury a month before Mania? The logic they've used has always seemingly been better to be a big surprise return right after Mania than come back during the build and risk getting lost in the shuffle. For all of WWE's sins against logic (and they are numerous) I think this one is at least fair?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hayabusa said:

Misawa, Kobashi, and Akiyama were definitely doing apron death spots in the late AJ/early NOAH days. They were a staple of big NOAH matches by 05, and they started popping up in the US indy scene about the same time, since that's the style they were going for. I think Kevin Owens brought them to WWE with apron powerbomb, which was a killshot for maybe a year, but like most things WWE became devalued quickly.

24 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

Misawa, Kobashi, and Akiyama were definitely doing apron death spots in the late AJ/early NOAH days. They were a staple of big NOAH matches by 05, and they started popping up in the US indy scene about the same time, since that's the style they were going for. I think Kevin Owens brought them to WWE with apron powerbomb, which was a killshot for maybe a year, but like most things WWE became devalued quickly.

I'm pretty sure there apronside spots in mid nineties All Japan already, an apronside Nodowa otoshi from Taue on Misawa is my most prominent memory, might have been Champions Carnival 1996. When I go to Google, I even see a clip where he hits one on Kobashi in 1995. 

However, those moves were off the apron, not on the apron. At one point in NOAH, I want to say 2004ish,they started using the DDT while jumping off the ramp and / or apron, which seemed to make sense in some way. 

I personally feel the crazy shit on the apron itself is something more indyriffic than a WWE or Japan thing, much like the turning your back towards the opponent. But there is so little difference between the in ring stuff nowadays, what do I know... 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Lot of people in here who sound like they believe everything Big Nutmeg tells them...

Big Nutmeg was my high school nickname.

Well...it was similar.

• RIPPA locked and unpinned this topic