DVDVR Message Board

February 2022 - Professional Wrestling Omnibus Discussion

2 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

They were referring to Voodoo Kin Mafia. The terrible TNA group of Billy Gunn Road Dogg and Konan. And I think R-Truth was in it too maybe. They used Vince's initials to be edgy. And challenged DX to a match like Bischoff did with McMahon. Peak TNA cringe.

I had forgotten that and now I’m very angry that I now have to remember again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

4 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

They were referring to Voodoo Kin Mafia. The terrible TNA group of Billy Gunn Road Dogg and Konan. And I think R-Truth was in it too maybe. They used Vince's initials to be edgy. And challenged DX to a match like Bischoff did with McMahon. Peak TNA cringe.

Lmao I know but you know that the VKM Kiss My Ass club shirt would sell faster than any Bullet Club shirt ever did. 

25 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Wasn't that the era of Konnan throwing his shoe at someone during the match and getting chants of shoe, shoe, shoe? Best thing he's ever done.

• Haha 1

So today was the big day.. AEW tickets on sale.  I got into the office logged in to my Ticketmaster account, was number 2 in queue. Sweet right?  So finally the moment of truth comes and I  get my pick of the litter.  I click on front row.   My heart drops..... $900+ for 1 ticket.   Are you fucking kidding me?!  Smiley face shirt guy is paying $900 a pop for every show he attends?!

ok, so I try for second row....  $650+   unreal!!

I ended up getting the first level above the floor 5 rows back for $50+ fees which ended up being roughly $75.   But damn, who is paying $900 a ticket?! 

In context I could get season tickets for an NFL team for that same price. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Am I misremembering from a couple years back?  My foggy memories tell me that AEW had made a mission statement (back in the early days prior to Dynamite) that they were going to make buying tickets “more affordable”.  

A friend texted me the other day about looking up tix for the show coming up in Boston.  He too was blown away over pricing.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Brandon Bones said:

Am I misremembering from a couple years back?  My foggy memories tell me that AEW had made a mission statement (back in the early days prior to Dynamite) that they were going to make buying tickets “more affordable”.  

A friend texted me the other day about looking up tix for the show coming up in Boston.  He too was blown away over pricing.

Things might have changed for them when VIRGIL agreed to make an appearence. That could not have been cheap.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Brandon Bones said:

There are affordable tickets, they're just at weird angles in the nosebleed sections, or behind cameras. I paid $48 each for two tickets (can't recall exact face value because of the many many Ticketmaster fees) that were a little lower in the area above the floor. But the prices do jump fairly quickly into triple digits. The Austin show still has a fair number of the $32 and $48 tickets left, while most of the higher dollar tickets are sold.

Yeah, a story came out that scalpers were making a fortune from buying AEW tickets and selling them at a huge mark-up. So the company deciding that, if that money is going anywhere, it's going to them is just good business.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I'd rather have AEW make money on high price tickets than scalpers.

tickets go directly to your phone now. Sure there probably still are scalpers trying but Covid has made it much harder to do so.  It's also made it harder to trust anyone outside of Ticketmaster when it comes to buying tickets as there are no physical tickets any more.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, paintedbynumbers said:

tickets go directly to your phone now. Sure there probably still are scalpers trying but Covid has made it much harder to do so.  It's also made it harder to trust anyone outside of Ticketmaster when it comes to buying tickets as there are no physical tickets any more.  

StubHub.

2 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Don't get me wrong...I wish that ringside tickets didn't cost an arm and a leg for true fans like us. But it's a sad reality that cheap floor tickets would just equal a robust secondary market, until there are firm laws or safeguards against scalping.

Much of the young talent that got over ended up pushed down the card, and quite a few of them left for greener pastures.

Brock is a freak in that he was always a great pro wrestler. Even in OVW, he was no worse than "quite good" from what I've seen. But also, it's easy to talk shit when a rocket is immediately strapped to your back. He's the whole reason that Vince stopped doing that shit, actually, since he up and left in the middle of said rocket-strapping to go try football and MMA. 

Which, yeah, go for it, man, but being a shitty old vet about newer guys is especially laughable based on Brock's history.

Brock is one of those dudes who is immensely talented, but who also thinks that 100% of his success is because he willed himself to said success and opened every door he could on his own. Nope. Someone (typically many someones) have to give you doors to open first. 

18 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

you guys joke but you all know that a VKM  Kiss My Ass club shirt would sell out in minutes on PWT.  And you all would be buying it. 

Post <media conglomerate> buy out Vince merch on PWT is going to be epic.

• Like 2