DVDVR Message Board

February 2022 - Professional Wrestling Omnibus Discussion

Well Ziggler showed that he had a much lower ceiling than AJ so it makes sense to keep dropping him down. It was mind boggling that they kept going back to the same plucky underdog needs to finally win the big one with a guy who was the company ace.

14 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Pluto TV has a 24/7 TNA channel that, when you catch the 2002-2005 shows, is WILD. And yeah, AJ was pushed basically from Day 1. He was World Champion in 2003 (after a really dumb heel turn to align with Russo). And then he continually gets rebooted and shuffled up and down the  card for TEN YEARS. 

I'm trying to think of a WWE equivalent.  Maybe Ziggler who somehow cycles from irrelevant to randomly pushed World Title contender every few years. 

Do you remember when they did the angle where AJ was always getting iced?  I wanna say Flair was involved cause why wouldn't he be?   But they would hide the Smirnoff ice and AJ would always have to drink it.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

56 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I hated when AIW did the live commentary. If you are watching a DVD or streaming the show at home it doesn't sound clear at all. It's basically having the ring announcer do commentary through a match.  I never could get used to it and questioned why the only promotions I've ever heard do it are Ohio based. 

I worked for AIW at the time and I can tell you we all hated it

• Like 4

2 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Do you remember when they did the angle where AJ was always getting iced?  I wanna say Flair was involved cause why wouldn't he be?   But they would hide the Smirnoff ice and AJ would always have to drink it.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Sublime said:

Well Ziggler showed that he had a much lower ceiling than AJ so it makes sense to keep dropping him down. It was mind boggling that they kept going back to the same plucky underdog needs to finally win the big one with a guy who was the company ace.

Subtract a concussion and Vince's desperation to make Del Rio happen, and Ziggler's ceiling would have been higher. But those days have come and gone, and that KO promo from a year or two back really put the nail in the coffin.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Per Mike Johnson - the WWE will run a 2nd PPV in April (Saturday, April 23) under the Saturday Night Main Event name

It will be in Montgomery, Alabama

So 3 weeks after Mania and 2 weeks before the May Mania Backlash show

Even though this has since been refuted above, I think the "Saturday Night Main Event" is such a great name that they really should bring it back.

10 hours ago, hammerva said:

Frankly Teddy should be a Netflix documentary.   Love how they mention that WWE isn't involved.  I mean given his history no shit

I was recently re-reading the 'History of Stampede Wrestling' book I have (I don't remember what year it was from but it was written pre-Benoit) and toward the end they start talking about the future of the Hart family in wrestling and they talk up Harry Smith, TJ Wilson and Nattie (all pre-WWE) and then they mention Teddy and EVEN back then they're talking about how he's super talented but also how he's alienating everyone with his bizarre behaviour and arrogance.

Actually there was another travesty just as bad: CMLL not winning Worst Promotion. Even winning with less than 100% of the vote would've been a travesty. Literally everything about CMLL sucked last year and it's still awful as in worse than AAA was when it was just about the worst in ring promotion on Earth years back because at least the terrible wrestlers had characters that were over.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sabremike said:

Danhausen not winning Gimmick of the Year is the single biggest travesty in the history of the WON Awards. 

Danhausen created a character on his own that made him good money even while he was healing a broken leg. I don’t see how Roman’s “high status asshole that always wins” is better than that, especially since he’s been doing it for a year and a half and he was propped up by a team of writers and the best non-wrestler talker ever. Roman is 10x the wrestler that Danhausen is for sure, but that just reinforces why Danhausen’s talent for getting over in wrestling in the 2020s is so impressive. I have a coppery taste in my mouth from writing 2020s. It just doesn’t seem right.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ace said:

WWE did sign and rename Quinn McKay. She's gonna be the ring announcer on NXT Level Up tonight.

Good for her. If I'm not mistaken, this makes her the first ROH announcer to make it to WWE in the 20-year history of Ring of Honor.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sabremike said:

Actually there was another travesty just as bad: CMLL not winning Worst Promotion. Even winning with less than 100% of the vote would've been a travesty. Literally everything about CMLL sucked last year and it's still awful as in worse than AAA was when it was just about the worst in ring promotion on Earth years back because at least the terrible wrestlers had characters that were over.

4 hours ago, (BP) said:

Danhausen created a character on his own that made him good money even while he was healing a broken leg. I don’t see how Roman’s “high status asshole that always wins” is better than that, especially since he’s been doing it for a year and a half and he was propped up by a team of writers and the best non-wrestler talker ever. Roman is 10x the wrestler that Danhausen is for sure, but that just reinforces why Danhausen’s talent for getting over in wrestling in the 2020s is so impressive. I have a coppery taste in my mouth from writing 2020s. It just doesn’t seem right.

A lot of the WON Reader Awards 2021 Winners were real headscratchers to me. 

I really really disagree with the winners of Wrestler of the Year, Most Outstanding Wrestler and Match of the Year. WOTY and MOW should have gone to Bryan Danielson and MOTY, Bryan Danielson vs. Kenny Omega at AEW Dynamite Grand Slam, 22nd September.

Bryan Danielson is the 2021 Wrestler of the Year even missing nearly five months, that's insane:

• Daniel Bryan vs. Roman Reigns vs. Edge at WrestleMania XXXVI. ****1/4.
  • Daniel Bryan's last WWE match vs. Roman Reigns on Smackdown Live. ****3/4.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Kenny Omega. Dynamite, 22nd September 2021. *****. My MOTY.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Minoru Suzuki. AEW The Buy In: Rampage. 15th October 2021. *****.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Eddie Kingston. AEW Rampage, 29th October. ****3/4.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Adam Page. AEW Winter is Coming Dynamite, 15th December. *****.

Very surprised MJF won Best on Interviews over CM Punk/Eddie Kingston. Punk or Kingston were more deserving. Jade Cargill as Rookie of the Year over Bron Breakker and Hook? C'mon.

Edited by The Natural

8 hours ago, sabremike said:

Danhausen not winning Gimmick of the Year is the single biggest travesty in the history of the WON Awards. 

You're assuming he's working a gimmick and not actually a very polite demon.

14 hours ago, Ace said:

WWE did sign and rename Quinn McKay. She's gonna be the ring announcer on NXT Level Up tonight.

Too bad she didn't get to keep her signature suspenders and bowtie look. I wonder if Dak Draper is coming with her, considering he's exactly what they're looking for these days.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

And one for wrestling fans…I remember hearing that Steamboat wasn’t the original pick to feud with Flair in 1989.  Who was their initial choice for that spot?  

My brain remembers someone like Brian Last and maybe the one they call…David Bixenspan on their old podcast.  For some reason names like Billy Jack Haynes or Dory Funk Jr. keep popping up in my memory.  That would have made for a very different spring/summer of ‘89 if true though.  

Did Billy Jack Haynes use that full name at all outside of the WWF?  It looked like he was always just Billy Jack before he went working for Vince.

Thanks.