DVDVR Message Board

February 2022 - Professional Wrestling Omnibus Discussion

On 2/11/2022 at 4:29 PM, Mister TV said:

Really? I always thought it was just England when he was in the British Bulldogs then Leeds, England when he was a single.

I think Dynamite was announced as being from Wigan, Davey from Leigh (which is between Wigan and Manchester) which them somehow morphed into being from Leeds  (which is a different place entirely) during his 90-92 singles run. Davey had been living in Canada for over a decade at that point and likely didn't care.

I spent some time going down a Woody Strode rabbit hole this weekend. I didn't know much about his pro graps career, though I knew he was an excellent athlete at UCLA and is in one of my favorite westerns of all time (The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance). I watched what was on YouTube, but I wondered if the historians here know much else about his career? Is there any more footage of his work in California or his team with Bobo Brazil?

On 2/11/2022 at 5:38 PM, Stefanie the Human said:

From my indie days, I came across at least a dozen dorks who thought hailing from "Intercourse, Pennsylvania" was clever...

while the towns of Blue Ball & Bird-In-Hand (which are both neighbors of Intercourse) are sadly ignored.

btw, the Amish/Menonite communities are weird AF.

Edited by Trebor
  • Sad 1

On 2/11/2022 at 12:02 PM, Swift said:

When I brought the topic up, I meant wrestler's actual hometowns, but seeing as we're on fictional... the dumbest current one is Red Velvet being from "Your momma's kitchen"

Red Velvet is kinda a half baked gimmick (see what I did there?) in an era where most women have a proper first and last name she has this weird stripper like handle. Even the alien is Kris Stratlander. I guess she's Red is cute like a cup cake? If this was 1995 she'd be a baker so it would kinda make sense.

Anyway I think its interesting how wrestling has gone from mostly worked hometowns to peoples real hometowns 

On 2/11/2022 at 12:57 PM, Log said:

I love how the Apter mags had certain things they just wouldn't play along with.  I just want to know how it came down to taking an editorial stand on Warrior being from Queens?  

It goes back to when he was first introduced by Gary Hart as the Dingo Warrior (part of the baddest street gang in Queens) in World Class...PWI wouldn’t budge from certain things, you’re right.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2022 at 2:52 PM, Raziel said:

Sullivan also used to use "Seeking sanctuary in the Conch Republic" a lot.

In other words, Key West, Florida. 

3 pro wrestlers have been billed from my hometown. The Cole Twins and Samoa Joe. (Not counting Tito Ortiz or Tank Abbott. I dunno if Tank was ever billed from Huntington Beach, but he does and did live there.)

On 2/11/2022 at 5:02 PM, Gorman said:

They were specifically from 2002.

Yes, but I recall them being announced as from "the Future" - both maybe? I was inconsolable for a while after 01/01/2002 that I was stuck in the "current" shitty 2002 instead of thee New Breed's Dusty-as-POTUS reality, so I guess they succeeded in their mission, or should I blame LazerTron?

• Like 4

On 2/10/2022 at 11:53 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

From personal experience, downtown Newark and Newark in general is pretty scary. 

Amen. I don't even like changing trains there. However, no one complains if you smoke by the tracks so there is that.

ADDENDUM:

Come to think of it, I feel the same about the Trenton NJT train area, so --- Jersey sucks.

Edited by thee Reverend Axl Future
No car, NJ sucks