DVDVR Message Board

February 2022 - Professional Wrestling Omnibus Discussion

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I remember Erik Watts being billed from the University of Oklahoma and Jesse Ventura asking, "What? Does he still live on campus?".

Jesse was good for that. I just saw a Superstars the other day where a jobber tag team was both billed from Parts Unknown.

Jesse: What?! Are they neighbors?

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

26 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Jesse was good for that. I just saw a Superstars the other day where a jobber tag team was both billed from Parts Unknown.

"Parts Unknown? That usually means downtown Newark."

-Bobby "The Brain" Heenan

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

11 hours ago, AxB said:

Is there any significance to Colt Cabana being billed as from Maxwell Street, Chicago?

Maxwell St is a somewhat famous street in Chicago known for its open air market. It was featured in The Blues Brothers. I'd assume its just part of his Chicago gimmick like if a wrestler hailed from Broadway, New York or Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell_Street

• Like 2

Going back to someone saying Johnny B Badd confused a lot of people, I genuinely thought Macho Man Randy Savage was black from the ages of 5 when I started watching to around 18 or 19 when I read that he was actually of Jewish and Italian heritage.

The Jay Lethal Black Machismo gimmick was a bit after that, but even at that point, part of my brain rejected the idea that a 'Randy Savage, but African American' gimmick was any less redundant that 'White Stone Cold Steve Austin', or 'Yokozuna, but fat!' I don't think I was a stupid child by any means, but, y'know, maybe I was?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

10 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

That reminds of me of when a wrestler would not only be billed from Parts Unknown, but also Weight Unknown, and Gorilla Monsoon would say something like "I can understand hiding where you're from, but what's wrong with a guy hopping on a scale, Jess?" 

Edited by Hamhock
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Uncle Coaster said:

How about Tito Santana being billed from Tocula Mexico, which is actually a mistaken pronunciation/spelling of Toluca that stuck?

Are there any other similar stories?

I dunno about misspellings, but Davey Boy seemed to be announced from a half a dozen places in England.

Edited by PetrolCB
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Uncle Coaster said:

How about Tito Santana being billed from Tocula Mexico, which is actually a mistaken pronunciation/spelling of Toluca that stuck?

Are there any other similar stories?

“Tocula” can almost translate to “Your Female Asshole”, if you’re not looking at the actual spelling.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Even in their tag team days, I recall Dynamite being announced as from Manchester and Davey from Leeds.

Back when weights and hometowns were ALWAYS announced and the Hart Foundation's ring entrance taught young me the meaning of the word "respectively." 

Wasn't Anvil always announced as being from Las Vegas?  Didn't he play for the Raiders?  Kinda funny they're there now.

When Anvil showed up in WCW in 92 he was billed as from Vegas, and Jesse got confused because he thought Anvil was from Reno. But Schiavone said "Well, maybe he moved" and Jesse thought that made sense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Gordlow said:

It might also be worthwhile to consider which wrestlers come from the most populous areas.

So: in my opinion Our Top Three are:

1) Blitzkrieg

2) Max Moon

3) Little Tokyo

If Tekno Team 2000 (or any other time travelers) were billed as from "the future", i think that would be an area of unlimited population. but YMMV.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I remember the Apter mags riffing on the WWF saying Warrior was from Parts Unknown when they (PWI) had him from Queens for years. I think it was a Matt Brock or Eddie Ellner article where they said something like, "Queens isn't the nicest neighborhood and you probably don't want to find it but it's not exactly Parts Unknown."