DVDVR Message Board

February 2022 - Professional Wrestling Omnibus Discussion

3 minutes ago, ka-to said:

Balls did live in Jersey.

My step-dad worked with Mahoney's girlfriend at Shop Rite quite a while ago. My step-dad was a bakery technician for a company called Guttenplans, which basically meant he went to different Shop Rite's and helped trian the staff.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

I remember Flair was billed as being from Minneapolis, MN for a long time in JCP (and in the Apter mags) to play up his connection to The Andersons and then at some point they switched over to Charlotte, NC. I wanna say he was billed exclusively as being from Charlotte in 1993 during the build-up to the Vader match at Starrcade.

As a kid, I always thought it was weird he was billed from Minneapolis in the SNES Royal Rumble game.

23 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Marcus Alexander Bagwell being from Sprayberry High School in Marietta, GA. 

They never announce Xavier Woods as being from there. Even though his High School athletic (and academic) career is way more impressive than Bagwells. But Austin Creed did go to that school.

12 minutes ago, AxB said:

They never announce Xavier Woods as being from there. Even though his High School athletic (and academic) career is way more impressive than Bagwells. But Austin Creed did go to that school.

IIRC, Bagwell had the Sprayberry crest on his tights when he first started in wcw. 

Not saying heat like your white meat babyface putting his high school crest on his trunks. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Early in his first WWF run, the Big Boss Man was announced from the Department of Corrections in Cobb County, Georgia.

I have had some good friends from Cobb County but I gotta imagine CCCF is not the place you wanna find yourself at. 

Certainly not a CCCF that's living in Big Bubba Bossman Ray Traylor the Guardian Angel's shadow. Hell no.

3 minutes ago, Horatio said:

I have had some good friends from Cobb County but I gotta imagine CCCF is not the place you wanna find yourself at. 

Certainly not a CCCF that's living in Big Bubba Bossman Ray Traylor the Guardian Angel's shadow. Hell no.

Why do think Nailz was so fucked up?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Why do think Nailz was so fucked up?

Today, I guess I'd say because he was just a mean old man without a mommy. 

At the time, though, I was just scared shitless of someone who would actually do prison for a living. Taker was so brave to stand face to face with him. So brave.

On 2/10/2022 at 9:46 AM, Swift said:

There was discussion recently of Anthony Agogo being from Lowestoft but being billed as being from East England, presumably because Lowestoft is basically unknown. I personally like when people are billed from their actual hometown rather than just being billed from the nearest big city (Edge & Christian for example). What are some of the more obscure actual places wrestlers have been billed from?

Bray, Co. Wicklow is just a small seaside town south of Dublin so it surprises me that Balor wasn't just saddled with Dublin. No idea if West Newbury, MA or Aberdeen, WA are small places or not but I've literally never heard of them outside of their famous hometown wrestlers.

EDIT: Just had a quick look. They're all small based on population - West Newbury ~4k, Aberdeen ~17k, Bray ~32k

It might also be worthwhile to consider which wrestlers come from the most populous areas.

There are a lot of wrestlers (e.g. Tazz, Brody Lee) from New York City. Based on UN 2018 estimates, that's a population of 8.8 million in the city proper, 18.8 million in the greater metropolitan area.

Makhan Singh and The Great Gama were billed as being from Karachi, Pakistan. UN estimates 14.9 million in the city proper, but "only" 15.4 million in the GMA... so it's maybe a less straightforward question than it seems.

For the sake of argument, let's go with the total population of the Metropolitan Area.

There are a ton of wrestlers (including Villanos I, II, III and V) from Mexico City (9.2/21.5) and Little Tokyo, who worked at WM III vs King Kong Bundy is presumably from Tokyo, Japan (13.5/37.4) so maybe Little Tokyo is the answer?

HOWEVER

Former Intercontinental champion Maximillian Moon was billed as being from Outer Space, which astronomers have estimated has a total population of roughly 70 billion trillion (70 times (10 to the 22nd power)).

BUT 

Blitzkrieg was billed as being from The Cosmos. "Outer Space" does not include planet Earth (hence: "outer") but The Cosmos does. That's roughly 7.753 billion more people.

So: in my opinion Our Top Three are:

1) Blitzkrieg

2) Max Moon

3) Little Tokyo

Edited by Gordlow
I spelled "Maximillian" incorrectly
  • Like 4

On 2/9/2022 at 4:46 PM, Swift said:

There was discussion recently of Anthony Agogo being from Lowestoft but being billed as being from East England, presumably because Lowestoft is basically unknown. I personally like when people are billed from their actual hometown rather than just being billed from the nearest big city (Edge & Christian for example). What are some of the more obscure actual places wrestlers have been billed from?

Bray, Co. Wicklow is just a small seaside town south of Dublin so it surprises me that Balor wasn't just saddled with Dublin. No idea if West Newbury, MA or Aberdeen, WA are small places or not but I've literally never heard of them outside of their famous hometown wrestlers.

EDIT: Just had a quick look. They're all small based on population - West Newbury ~4k, Aberdeen ~17k, Bray ~32k

Believe "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan was billed as being from Glens Falls, New York.

I know Brock Lesnar is billed as being from Minneapolis but was actually born and went to high school in Webster, South Dakota (population 2K-ish).