DVDVR Message Board

February 2022 - Professional Wrestling Omnibus Discussion

WWE news and notes:

They're trying to find someone to replace Shane with, in the special attraction role for cards.

They trademarked "WWE Sunday Stunner" for tv show purposes and "Kelly Kincaid".  

WWE will recruit talent at Bout At The Ballpark, so NCAA and international competition people.

3 hours ago, twiztor said:

couldn't find one for worst match/show (i bet that would be a doozy!) but i think it gets touched on in both of these threads:

Favorite Wrestling Cards You Attended

What's the best match you watched live?

I went to an indy show called Super Indy 3 in May of 2004. To this day it's one of my favorite shows ever.  A nice 1 night tournament which featured matches such as   CM Punk vs Sonjay  Dutt,  Chris Sabin Vs CM Punk,  Alex Shelley VS Chris Sabin.  Non tournament matches like AJ Styles vs Christopher Daniels,  Balls Mahoney VS New Jack in a weapons match,   Matt Cross and Josh Prohibition VS Southern Comfort,  and  Corey Graves wrestled as SJK.     One of the best nights of wrestling I've seen live to this day and I am fairly certain our own @Gorman did play by play on this show. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I went to an indy show called Super Indy 3 in May of 2004. To this day it's one of my favorite shows ever.  A nice 1 night tournament which featured matches such as   CM Punk vs Sonjay  Dutt,  Chris Sabin Vs CM Punk,  Alex Shelley VS Chris Sabin.  Non tournament matches like AJ Styles vs Christopher Daniels,  Balls Mahoney VS New Jack in a weapons match,   Matt Cross and Josh Prohibition VS Southern Comfort,  and  Corey Graves wrestled as SJK.     One of the best nights of wrestling I've seen live to this day and I am fairly certain our own @Gorman did play by play on this show. 

Just reading that card sounds amazing. It’s also slap bang in the era where I was ordering IWA / CZW and MAW tapes and discovering those kind of up and coming indy guys along with like MadMan Pondo v Wifebeater or something along those lines.

There was discussion recently of Anthony Agogo being from Lowestoft but being billed as being from East England, presumably because Lowestoft is basically unknown. I personally like when people are billed from their actual hometown rather than just being billed from the nearest big city (Edge & Christian for example). What are some of the more obscure actual places wrestlers have been billed from?

Bray, Co. Wicklow is just a small seaside town south of Dublin so it surprises me that Balor wasn't just saddled with Dublin. No idea if West Newbury, MA or Aberdeen, WA are small places or not but I've literally never heard of them outside of their famous hometown wrestlers.

EDIT: Just had a quick look. They're all small based on population - West Newbury ~4k, Aberdeen ~17k, Bray ~32k

Edited by Swift

9 minutes ago, Swift said:

There was discussion recently of Anthony Agogo being from Lowestoft but being billed as being from East England, presumably because Lowestoft is basically unknown. I personally like when people are billed from their actual hometown rather than just being billed from the nearest big city (Edge & Christian for example). What are some of the more obscure actual places wrestlers have been billed from?

Bray, Co. Wicklow is just a small seaside town south of Dublin so it surprises me that Balor wasn't just saddled with Dublin. No idea if West Newbury, MA or Aberdeen, WA are small places or not but I've literally never heard of them outside of their famous hometown wrestlers.

EDIT: Just had a quick look. They're all small based on population - West Newbury ~4k, Aberdeen ~17k, Bray ~32k

Aberdeen has two things going for it that make it make more sense to bill Bryan from there and not Seattle - it's actually pretty far away from Seattle (2+ hours on the central Washington coast) and already had someone famous from there (Kurt Cobain)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Just reading that card sounds amazing. It’s also slap bang in the era where I was ordering IWA / CZW and MAW tapes and discovering those kind of up and coming indy guys along with like MadMan Pondo v Wifebeater or something along those lines.

I know a good portion of their shows are on youtube.  If you go to cagematch or iwcwrestling.com  and look at the cards from 2002-2008  you will be surprised by how amazing each card is.  Logan Shulo is Elias,   Shima Xion is DJ Z,   Back when ROH and TNA had their falling out over RF  IWC was one of the only places able to book TNA and ROH talent on the  same show.  Never left a show feeling like I was ripped off.  Met a ton of great guys and girls there and they are the first company to buy a plane ticket for CM Punk.

I was watching a lot of CZW and IWA-MS during this time as well. Sadly I didn't hear about MAW until well after. I caught some of their shows on Highspots and love them

• Like 3

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/10/tony-khan-files-to-run-for-congress/

Tony Khan eventually will be running the Jaguars, unless his father, Shad, decides to cash out and move on from owning and operating an NFL team. In recent years, Tony Khan has focused most of his professional efforts on the family’s wrestling operation, AEW.

Now, he’s interested in another industry featuring over-the-top personalities, implausible storylines, and rigged outcomes.

Via Jacksonville Today, Tony Khan has filed to run for a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives. Khan will run as a Democrat. The seat is currently held by John Rutherford, a Republican.

• Sad 1

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
15 hours ago, Swift said:

What are some of the more obscure actual places wrestlers have been billed from?

Sweetwater, Texas (Blackjack Mulligan, Barry Windham), population 10k. 

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Jesus, in one single Tweet Tony Khan managed to:

1. Vehemently deny a rumor.

2. Put over one of his announcers.

3. Took a jab at his top heel.

4. Flexed his wrestling nerd muscles.

The dude accomplished more in a single Tweet than any 10+ minute opening segment of Raw in the last seven years.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

Sweetwater, Texas (Blackjack Mulligan, Barry Windham), population 10k. 

The best fictional ones in my opinion are Damian Demento being from, "The Outer Reaches of Your Mind", The Freebirds from "Badstreet USA" and Maxx Payne from, "The State of Euphoria".

I also remember Kevin Sullivan would sometimes be announced as being from "The Iron Gates of Fate" and "The Plains of Leng" (which is a Cthulu reference IIRC). Wiki also tells me that Sullivan also would use Eleuthera as well which is a small island near the Bahamas which has a population of about 11K.

Lamest fictional one had to be Firebreaker Chip and Todd Champion being hailed as from "WCW Special Forces". What's basic training like there? They teach you how to lose a shit ton of money every year and make terrible booking decisions?

Also, I used to get a kick out of Sabu being from Bombay, Michigan.

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 2