DVDVR Message Board

February 2022 - Professional Wrestling Omnibus Discussion

3 hours ago, Horatio said:

I remember Cena and Orton getting love in these parts around '05 or '06 or whenever they had their big SummerSlam feud, but I could NOT be fucked into watching. I kinda feel the same way about both of those guys; it's always cool to see what they bring to the table, until you realize there's better reasons to watch wrestling and I think Cena/Orton is a match I've still never seen. 

Anyone here still like that feud? Seems like those two deserved to main event Wrestlemania together but they never even believed in them that much, did they?

All you need to know about Cena/Orton is they feuded so long they wore out their welcome to the point where the feud culminated in the match where they swore it would be their final match.

It doesn't help that Cena and Orton somehow embody both the apex and the nadir of the WWE style.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

This. Cool seeing people go to bat for Big E. Like the majority of people in WWE, Big E deserves better.

I don't know who Andreas Hale is but I admire his sweet naivete.  This is some real "giving a scorpion a ride on your back" shit, expecting WWE to do right by Big E when they don't do right by anyone except maybe a few.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Technico Support said:

All you need to know about Cena/Orton is they feuded so long they wore out their welcome to the point where the feud culminated in the match where they swore it would be their final match.

It doesn't help that Cena and Orton somehow embody both the apex and the nadir of the WWE style.

Word. 

I think it was just a number of people who were on the Cena-doesn't-actually-suck bandwagon (which gets me thinking maybe their feud was in '07?) and Orton will always have his followers among those who can stand him (did the Foley match maybe take his willingness to play away from him or something? Seems like he peaked way early)...

Again, not trying to put them down but WWE-style is like a spell when you're under it. I enjoy Charlotte matches as much as the next guy, but I kinda gotta say at the same time that she's insufferable. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Happ Hazzard said:

If they'd reversed things and had Hogan eliminate Sid and then Sid pitch a fit and pull Hogan out from outside the ring, that might've worked. But as it was done,Hogan just looked like a sore loser. Sid had been a total baby-face in the WWF, there was no tease of any dissention. Them editing the commentary and crowd noise on the TV recaps of the finish just made Hogan look even worse to the people who watched the PPV 

I heard the altered commentary/crowd noise clip years after the fact, and it was hilarious. I was like, if you are lying about this, what else are you lying to me about? I was on the internet at that point, so the cat WAS out of the bag at that point, but still...

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

I heard the altered commentary/crowd noise clip years after the fact, and it was hilarious. I was like, if you are lying about this, what else are you lying to me about? I was on the internet at that point, so the cat WAS out of the bag at that point, but still...

I’m still carrying a grudge about that edit all these years later.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Horatio said:

I remember Cena and Orton getting love in these parts around '05 or '06 or whenever they had their big SummerSlam feud, but I could NOT be fucked into watching. I kinda feel the same way about both of those guys; it's always cool to see what they bring to the table, until you realize there's better reasons to watch wrestling and I think Cena/Orton is a match I've still never seen. 

Anyone here still like that feud? Seems like those two deserved to main event Wrestlemania together but they never even believed in them that much, did they?

sadly I was at the iron man match live. Bragging Rights PPV.  And if you remember the Royal Rumble when everyone thought Daniel  Bryan would be in but we got Mysterio instead as number 30 (2014)  yep I was there too.  We also got Cena-Orton with a "Change the channel" chant.   WWE loves to fuck Pittsburgh over. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Horatio said:

5 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

I saw a TLC here in Houston where the main event was Cena v. Orton in a ladder match title v. Title. It was awful. Care also inexplicably had Bryan v. The Wyatts and Punk v. The Shield in handicap matches.

5 hours ago, twiztor said:

i don't remember the Cena/Orton feud(s) getting too much praise, although i could be misremembering. I remember both men being praised individually but their matches together being pretty dire.

The original Cena/Orton feud in 07 was quite good. Randy was getting one over Cena constantly, including beating the shit out of Cena's father. It led to the Summerslam match that was pretty good-great. Then Cena got injured. The two never again captured whatever magic they had back in 07 and were just a terrible fit for each other as opponents. 

The Cena/Orton stuff that got praised was always related to that original feud and I assume whatever house shows they had their matches on during it.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

2009 Raw with five months of Cena vs Orton and the guest hosts were some of the grimmest times I had watching WWE. It was Cena shitting down Cody and Ted Dibiase’s throats every week while they couldn’t get their heat back because the guest host business meant the show had to end with a face standing tall.

Though to be fair, at the same time Smackdown and WWECW with Christian as Jerry Lawler was some of the best weekly wrestling they’ve ever produced. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, (BP) said:

2009 Raw with five months of Cena vs Orton and the guest hosts were some of the grimmest times I had watching WWE. It was Cena shitting down Cody and Ted Dibiase’s throats every week while they couldn’t get their heat back because the guest host business meant the show had to end with a face standing tall.

This really doesn't tell the complete story.

Some weeks it was Hunter and Shawn shitting down Cody and Ted's throats. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

sadly I was at the iron man match live. Bragging Rights PPV.  And if you remember the Royal Rumble when everyone thought Daniel  Bryan would be in but we got Mysterio instead as number 30 (2014)  yep I was there too.  We also got Cena-Orton with a "Change the channel" chant.   WWE loves to fuck Pittsburgh over. 

Whenever we commiserate over the worst shows we've ever been to, I love to pull out my Great American Bash 1991 card.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eivion said:

The original Cena/Orton feud in 07 was quite good. Randy was getting one over Cena constantly, including beating the shit out of Cena's father. It led to the Summerslam match that was pretty good-great. Then Cena got injured. The two never again captured whatever magic they had back in 07 and were just a terrible fit for each other as opponents. 

The Cena/Orton stuff that got praised was always related to that original feud and I assume whatever house shows they had their matches on during it.

Cena getting injured really cut off Orton getting closer to that next level at that time because it went back to HHH vs Orton even though HHH had one of his best Matches of the decade at that No Mercy in 08.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spontaneous said:

Did Batista and Orton ever have a really big one on one match? Twice it was penciled in as a title match at Wrestlemania. Outside the triple threat with Bryan, none of their matches seemed to do much for me.

I don't know if they were "really big" matches, but they had two matches for one of the world belts on PPV. Three PPVs total together. And a handful of TV matches.

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=962&view=&page=4&search=randy+orton&gimmick=&year=&promotion=&region=&location=&arena=&showtype=TV-Show|Pay+Per+View&constellationType=Singles&worker=

Batista spent a lot of time chasing Randy for the WWE title in 09’ and their steel cage match at Extreme Rules was the blowoff where he won the title. This being Batista and all, he had to relinquish it the following night on Raw due to an injury. 

Edited by (BP)

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Whenever we commiserate over the worst shows we've ever been to, I love to pull out my Great American Bash 1991 card.

As a kid I wanted to see this so bad.  Sting-Nikita had a fun build. Flair-Lex would have been fun if Lex would have finally done the 1 thing he has never been able to do. Beat Flair for the belt.    The Missy Hyatt cage main event was stupid and should never have happened.  The Scaffold match well, we all know what happened there. 

I was maybe 10 or 11 and my local video store did not have this to rent but they had it for sale $39.99.  I wanted it but that price for a tape was insane. I went back the next week or so and someone had purchased the tape.  Years later after seeing the show I still feel sorry for the poor sucker. 

I am a sucker though for 1989-1993 WCW.   

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Mine is the Extreme Rising show that was probably the biggest disaster in the history of independent wrestling. Essentially killed ECW nostalgia shows forever.

• Like 1

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
18 hours ago, twiztor said:

i don't remember the Cena/Orton feud(s) getting too much praise, although i could be misremembering. I remember both men being praised individually but their matches together being pretty dire.

I enjoyed the Summerslam 07 and I Quit matches alot but as feuds go there are a million I'd rather rewatch. 

11 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

As a kid I wanted to see this so bad.  Sting-Nikita had a fun build. Flair-Lex would have been fun if Lex would have finally done the 1 thing he has never been able to do. Beat Flair for the belt.    The Missy Hyatt cage main event was stupid and should never have happened.  The Scaffold match well, we all know what happened there.

Sting/Nikita looked to be the only bright spot, but then they booked it in that too cute "babyface is touching the four corners secretly behind the heel's back" style that I absolutely detest.  Worse than starting a blood feud match with a lockup?  Sneaking out a win in a vicious gimmick match. 

I still maintain they had plenty of talent on the show and should have booked an 8 man tournament for the belt instead.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Would love to see  

Best show I ever attended thread

Worst show I ever attended thread

It's always interesting to hear about shows that may have been missed. Whether it be a house show, indy show, tv, or PPV.

I'm pretty sure that just happened.

WWE news and notes:

They're trying to find someone to replace Shane with, in the special attraction role for cards.

They trademarked "WWE Sunday Stunner" for tv show purposes and "Kelly Kincaid".  

WWE will recruit talent at Bout At The Ballpark, so NCAA and international competition people.